The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's a Pouilot thread as far as I can tell? Sautner for sure, and quite possible that Brisebois could out perform DP at this point. DP's confidence is blasted.

Saunter is out for a couple months with a broken face.  Brisebois?  I'm not so sure about that.  He hasn't been sparkling on the farm this year.  I do agree Pouliot is as good as gone, but it won't be till the end of the season, or perhaps when Sautner's healthy in a couple of months.

Edited by Dungass
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Saunter is out for a couple months with a broken face.  Brisebois?  I'm not so sure about that.  He hasn't been sparkling on the farm this year.  I do agree Pouliot is as good as gone, but it won't be till the end of the season, or perhaps when Sautner's healthy in a couple of months.

Ah. Didn't realize Sautner was out. I liked what he did with his time last year. Brise did get an audition tryout early in the year and practiced a bit. I liked the DP trade. The fourth traded for him was worth the gamble and he had a good start with the Canucks. From what I can see from my armchair though is a failure to process the game quick enough. A lack of hockey sense is a dangerous thing for a dman. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ah. Didn't realize Sautner was out. I liked what he did with his time last year. Brise did get an audition tryout early in the year and practiced a bit. I liked the DP trade. The fourth traded for him was worth the gamble and he had a good start with the Canucks. From what I can see from my armchair though is a failure to process the game quick enough. A lack of hockey sense is a dangerous thing for a dman. 

Million dollar body, and a two cent brain.  Lots to like about his physical skills, which is why he was drafted so high.  That brain if his though.  :sick:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Million dollar body, and a two cent brain.  Lots to like about his physical skills, which is why he was drafted so high.  That brain if his though.  :sick:

Nice skater as well. If he was to go on waivers I hope he goes unclaimed and spends some more  time in the AHL. Maybe it clicks for him. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Keep Pouliot.  Try to sell MDZ at the deadline for a late pick.  Re-sign Edler.  UFA’s or big trade aside, Let Hughes/Juolevi/Pouliot scrap for 3LD next season.

Then you’re looking at travelling with Edler-Hutton-Hughes/Juolevi-Pouliot.

I can live with that next season, especially with Edler finding his game and everyone else’s upside.

I am calling it now  - Nikita will be here next year. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

I am calling it now  - Nikita will be here next year. 

That would be huge (literally) if he's back... especially since he can play both sides.  Would be fine going Edler-Hutton-Try on the left for the kids to break in.  

There's always injuries and Tryamkin can always flip to the right.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Nice skater as well. If he was to go on waivers I hope he goes unclaimed and spends some more  time in the AHL. Maybe it clicks for him. 

Great skater, but I'm honestly thinking he'll never make the big time. He's tried with two teams now and hasn't succeeded. He's turning 25 in about a week and a half. He's young, but not super young anymore. I don't see him getting much better and think he'll be a fringe 6/7 depth guy or an AHL star for the duration of his career.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, rekker said:

It's a Pouilot thread as far as I can tell? Sautner for sure, and quite possible that Brisebois could out perform DP at this point. DP's confidence is blasted.

10 hours ago, Dungass said:

Based on the stats, I'd say McEneny might be better than both Sautner and Brisebois. He got one game two years back, but is now even better than he was back then.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Great skater, but I'm honestly thinking he'll never make the big time. He's tried with two teams now and hasn't succeeded. He's turning 25 in about a week and a half. He's young, but not super young anymore. I don't see him getting much better and think he'll be a fringe 6/7 depth guy or an AHL star for the duration of his career.

What? He has about 160 NHL games. I agree the clock is ticking but I do not see anyone in Utica challenging him this season. His big challenge will likely be next fall. That said there can be a case made to rotate some Utica d-men through the Canuck lineup after the TDL, especially if the team is not making playoffs. Pouliot and even Stecher are at risk of being usurped by a d-man who shines if brought up. 

I add Stecher to that scenario because his offense has not happened and IMHO he has to have that to stick. He has focussed on his d-zone play this year to give him credit but his size will always work against him especially in CUP play. He is a smart player and might craft a spot for himself. The big question mark for this roster will be the impact of Hughes. Will his play add value to team mates or hurt them? It will vary by player. 

• Wat 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What? He has about 160 NHL games. I agree the clock is ticking but I do not see anyone in Utica challenging him this season. His big challenge will likely be next fall. That said there can be a case made to rotate some Utica d-men through the Canuck lineup after the TDL, especially if the team is not making playoffs. Pouliot and even Stecher are at risk of being usurped by a d-man who shines if brought up. 

I add Stecher to that scenario because his offense has not happened and IMHO he has to have that to stick. He has focussed on his d-zone play this year to give him credit but his size will always work against him especially in CUP play. He is a smart player and might craft a spot for himself. The big question mark for this roster will be the impact of Hughes. Will his play add value to team mates or hurt them? It will vary by player. 

The thing with DP is the hockey smarts. I'm not convinced he can get that to where it needs to be. I hope he does as he seems like a good guy and a good team mate. 

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Based on the stats, I'd say McEneny might be better than both Sautner and Brisebois. He got one game two years back, but is now even better than he was back then.

I like McEneny and think he can be a bonafide NHL player but his long term injury last year set him back and he is still playing catch up this season. It is happening for him but he is not near his previous years points / game average (.636) prior to him being injured. Not having an off season to properly train did not help matters but he has gotten steadily better as the season unfolds and is currently at a .459 points / game pace. I think it more likely he gets his chance in training camp next year when management has a better read on him unless they move on from Pouliot and / or MDZ at the TDL then maybe he gets a look this year

• Upvote 1

Please Benning, just give Pouliot away, you tried the best you could, don't let Pouliot pull you and the team down. At least MDZ can throw his body and can actual hit someone. I joined here just a couple of days ago, after watching Pouliot's  poor performance, I hope JB doesn't fire Green over this guy, time to cut him and just move on.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

To me, the experiment is over and done.  He shows flashes of what he could have been but thats about it.

It should be noted that Biega is sitting at .28ppg and Poo is at .17ppg.  So although its a small sample size, from a scoring perspective, it isnt close.  Biega also plays both a tighter defensive game and and a far greater physical game.  There is no question who should be out there instead of Pouliot to me.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, kloubek said:

To me, the experiment is over and done.  He shows flashes of what he could have been but thats about it.

It should be noted that Biega is sitting at .28ppg and Poo is at .17ppg.  So although its a small sample size, from a scoring perspective, it isnt close.  Biega also plays both a tighter defensive game and and a far greater physical game.  There is no question who should be out there instead of Pouliot to me.

To me, it's not really an experiment anymore. He's playing because we don't have enough good depth options, but at this point, I'd love to give an AHL defenseman a shot at playing some time over Pouliot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

To me, it's not really an experiment anymore. He's playing because we don't have enough good depth options, but at this point, I'd love to give an AHL defenseman a shot at playing some time over Pouliot.

If half our AHL D men weren't out with injury, we'd probably have seen it by now with DP keeping MDZ's old spot warm, in the press box.

Juolevi, Brisebois and Sautner in particular.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think that JB has huge concerns about losing Goldobin or Pouliot via waivers. If we are out of the playoff picture at TDL, I think JB should gamble on moving ( or papering ) Pouliot to the Comets. An AHL playoff run might be just what he needs. If lost to waivers, so be it ! Status quo is not good enough !

On 1/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, kloubek said:

To be fair though, If Biega were playing on a regular basis, his play would more than likely deteriorate due to wear and tear wrt his playing style and small stature.  Coming in and out of games allows him to play that "bulldog" style when inserted into the lineup.