The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Biega for Stecher..

Then... we'll see.

I agree on Biega, but would Pouliot come out for Stecher? I can't see Edler, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, or Tanev sitting. That leaves Hutton, Pouliot, and Stecher.

Could a trade be forthcoming to deal with the logjam?

• Cheers 1

On 11/12/2017 at 9:27 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

With Tanev out Pouliot has been taking up his minutes.

20+ minutes his last two games.

With a 70% corsi for in both games.

https://twitter.com/S7HDesign/status/926584961871654912/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.canucks.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FS7HDesign%2Fstatus%2F926584961871654912

Edited by Bigturk8
Broken Twitter Link
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree on Biega, but would Pouliot come out for Stecher? I can't see Edler, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, or Tanev sitting. That leaves Hutton, Pouliot, and Stecher.

Could a trade be forthcoming to deal with the logjam?

with the number of injuries, we usually get, there probably, won't be a problem. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm just curious as to who will sit. It's a great problem to have, really.

i wouldn't mind seeing a rotation of the bottom  4 or 5 d-men sitting out. they would stay eager. reminds me of johnny buyck. he would only sign one year contracts. he claimed that kept him hungry. imo, edler and del zotto are having to log too many minutes a game.  too many minutes, tend to erode their defense after awhile. 

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i wouldn't mind seeing a rotation of the bottom  4 or 5 d-men sitting out. they would stay eager. reminds me of johnny buyck. he would only sign one year contracts. he claimed that kept him hungry. imo, edler and del zotto are having to log too many minutes a game.  too many minutes, tend to erode their defense after awhile. 

Gudbranson was given the lion's share of minutes yesterday, which he handled extremely well. It looks like Green is ensuring a pretty even dispersion of minutes amongst the blueliners.

It's great to see so many workhorses capable of taking on more minutes. Hell, even Hutton seems to be hitting a stride now.

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm just curious as to who will sit. It's a great problem to have, really.

Not sure who will sit, likely Biega but I am sure the injuries will continue. 

Significant and interesting that Green shifted Pouliot over to the RD. After the stories about his struggles in Pitt I did not have a lot of optimism about his potential. Green has handled him well. If nothing else his skating has been the one thing that draws my attention each game. Superior skater with enough size that he can force the play when needed. 

Which d-man gets moved at the TDL. If one is not I will be very disappointed. IMHO the options are Edler, Tanev or MDZ. What I see as a fan is that Edler does not communicate much on the bench. Last night Pouliot was trying to talk to him and Edler simply looked straight ahead and did not respond. Not sure what that means?

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

I know John Bucyk well as he spends his summers on Kootenay Lake still. I remember when he got his first $100K per year contract. He practically apologized to locals about the amount. Quality guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Oh, I didn't say that.  I am willing to accept that the trade was a good one.  I just don't think all this excitement and fanfare is warranted for a guy who imo is a bottom pairing defenseman and has a *potential* of a 2nd pairing guy.  If he does turn into a 2nd pairing guy, then we did really really well.  But until then, I just see it as a depth trade.

Did you watch the game, though?  While I wasn't focused on him, consistently the call heard in the Canucks zone was that Pouliot was either stopping a guy coming in, coming up with the puck off the boards, or disrupting a pass or play and getting the puck to a teammate.  He's far better than I expected in his own end.

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure who will sit, likely Biega but I am sure the injuries will continue. 

Significant and interesting that Green shifted Pouliot over to the RD. After the stories about his struggles in Pitt I did not have a lot of optimism about his potential. Green has handled him well. If nothing else his skating has been the one thing that draws my attention each game. Superior skater with enough size that he can force the play when needed. 

Which d-man gets moved at the TDL. If one is not I will be very disappointed. IMHO the options are Edler, Tanev or MDZ. What I see as a fan is that Edler does not communicate much on the bench. Last night Pouliot was trying to talk to him and Edler simply looked straight ahead and did not respond. Not sure what that means?

I would hope that Edler is moved. While his presence is great for minutes and experience, he is the oldest defenseman and might still yield a decent return.

His minutes could be easily absorbed and dispersed through the six defensemen, and his veteran experience is already supplanted by Del Zotto, Gudbranson, and Tanev.

Physicality? Gudbranson and Del Zotto, to a lesser extent Pouliot and Stecher (ask Strome).

Not sure if Edler is a stellar communicator, but based on comments from Stecher and Gudbranson, they appreciate his experience.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would hope that Edler is moved. While his presence is great for minutes and experience, he is the oldest defenseman and might still yield a decent return.

His minutes could be easily absorbed and dispersed through the six defensemen, and his veteran experience is already supplanted by Del Zotto, Gudbranson, and Tanev.

Physicality? Gudbranson and Del Zotto, to a lesser extent Pouliot and Stecher (ask Strome).

Not sure if Edler is a stellar communicator, but based on comments from Stecher and Gudbranson, they appreciate his experience.

I doubt we will see a d-man traded until the Gudbranson contract is resolved one way or the other. If he re-signs with us then we may see someone traded but until that happens I really can't see Edler (or anyone else) going anywhere until the TDL or even the off-season. If we can't get Guddy to re-sign with us then any potential trades are really up in the air and we may even try to move someone in an effort to replace his physical presence.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I doubt we will see a d-man traded until the Gudbranson contract is resolved one way or the other. If he re-signs with us then we may see someone traded but until that happens I really can't see Edler (or anyone else) going anywhere until the TDL or even the off-season. If we can't get Guddy to re-sign with us then any potential trades are really up in the air and we may even try to move someone in an effort to replace his physical presence.

Good point.

Pouliot's been incredible so far, 5 points in 15 games, a plus-player and big on the Corsi (albeit getting some sheltered opponents and offensive starts). I'd like to see what he's like in his natural left side but he's been fantastic on the right so far. When Stecher or Tanev comes back it'll be good to see him on the left again and let Hutton sit out for a bit because IMO Pouliot has leaped ahead of Hutton on the depth chart.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Thats probably correct, although I guess if Jim gets a call with a solid offer on Edler or Hutton e.g. between now and then I think he'd take it. 

I guess we could look at going with 7D some nights as well? I really hate the idea of Pouliot having to sit out until this is resolved. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats probably correct, although I guess if Jim gets a call with a solid offer on Edler or Hutton e.g. between now and then I think he'd take it. 

I guess we could look at going with 7D some nights as well? I really hate the idea of Pouliot having to sit out until this is resolved. 

I couldn't agree more as I believe Pouliot may have the most potential of all the D on the current roster. If he continues to improve his game AND someone (Holm, Chatfield?) in Utica performs to the point management would be comfortable having them on the big club then perhaps a trade could happen and free up a spot for Pouliot.

Our history with injuries says we will not have a problem with finding a spot for him though. :)

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I couldn't agree more as I believe Pouliot may have the most potential of all the D on the current roster. If he continues to improve his game AND someone (Holm, Chatfield?) in Utica performs to the point management would be comfortable having them on the big club then perhaps a trade could happen and free up a spot for Pouliot.

Our history with injuries says we will not have a problem with finding a spot for him though. :)

I think Biega and Weircioch would still be fine, but if Holm was stepping up thats good too. 

We must have set some kind of record, what is it, 3 games in a row with no D injuries? 

• Cheers 1

I haven't closely watched any of the last few games, but from what I'm reading and hearing, it seems like Pouliot may be forcing his way on to the roster, much like how Hutton and Stecher have done in years past. Don't scratch him again if he's earned a full-time job.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pouliot's been incredible so far, 5 points in 15 games, a plus-player and big on the Corsi (albeit getting some sheltered opponents and offensive starts). I'd like to see what he's like in his natural left side but he's been fantastic on the right so far. When Stecher or Tanev comes back it'll be good to see him on the left again and let Hutton sit out for a bit because IMO Pouliot has leaped ahead of Hutton on the depth chart.

It's a happy surprise to open up fancy stats charts and see Pouliot at the top of the D order in several categories. Perhaps not surprising on the offensive side, but definitely in terms of his "suppression" rates.

Also encouraging to see him working well with Edler. I can recall another LH shot puckmover who played pretty well on Edler's right side a few years back. ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1