The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Biega and Weircioch would still be fine, but if Holm was stepping up thats good too. 

We must have set some kind of record, what is it, 3 games in a row with no D injuries? 

Always said being a d-man on the Canucks is the most dangerous job in all of sports.

Image result for picture of vancouver canuck defenseman getting hurt

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Did you watch the game, though?  While I wasn't focused on him, consistently the call heard in the Canucks zone was that Pouliot was either stopping a guy coming in, coming up with the puck off the boards, or disrupting a pass or play and getting the puck to a teammate.  He's far better than I expected in his own end.

I did.  And hey... no denying he had a good game.  But thats all it was.  Good.  Lots of our players had a good game.  Hell.... Eriksson had a good game.

On the flip side, Prior to this Pouliot was...what... 3 points in 14 games?(though he wasn't generally a liability either and played solid d).  I will say though that I realize being with a new team and system is challenging so he's done well. 

Im glad we acquired him, and he has played solid so I don't want people to think I'm ragging on him.... I just don't see the excitement.  Again, unless he progresses noticeably past his current ability he really is a guy that fills a spot but not a need.  We know this by the debate of where he is on the depth chart.  Right now I place him as tied for 6th spot at best or more likely the 7th, and I'm sorry, but on a team with so little blue line scoring that isnt saying much in his favour at this time.

Yes hes young and yes he has potential.  Both good as well.  But unless reaches that potential (and the Pens felt he would not) hes relatively inconsequential to this team.

Bow watch him really take this new opportunity to turn the corner with his new team.  Id love nothing more.

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

A bad game for him last night. He better not have too many of those if he wants to retain his spot when Stecher returns.

Is that based on his one bad turnover? Otherwise I think he looked extremely composed with the puck - he had a great game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TU90 said:

Is that based on his one bad turnover? Otherwise I think he looked extremely composed with the puck - he had a great game.

Based on the turnover in the third and from what I heard the commentators on SN650 say during the first two periods while I listened on the radio. They commented on how both Edler and Pouliot were looking poor. He was -3 on the night. Decent puck possession stats though.

28 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Based on the turnover in the third and from what I heard the commentators on SN650 say during the first two periods while I listened on the radio. They commented on how both Edler and Pouliot were looking poor. He was -3 on the night. Decent puck possession stats though.

Whole team looked/played like crap TBH. Wasn't just that pair :lol:

Also, ice at the Rog has looked terrible lately. Bouncing pucks, guys slipping all over the place, pucks skipping and stalling etc. Some of that sloppy play last night was obviously poor execution but the ice sure isn't helping.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It was Edler dragging that pairing down. He was brutal every single time he stepped on the ice. 

• Upvote 1

Pouliot has looked pretty good,so he had a bad game so did almost every canuck except virtanen and brumistrov.

the edler pouliot pair wasn’t good the second goal was a combination of errors pouliot was pushed aside by his man who then passed it to elders man in front  Both were at fault.

the bad give away was just one of those things, it happens to every nhler learn and move on.

He had some good shifts and ripped a nice shot that almost went in.

It was one bad game. 

over all pouliot been a very good pick up I still wish we could have kept pedan over wierdcoat but oh well.

seems like ever since edler got the NMC he just doesn’t care I wonder if he’d care from the pressbox.......probably not.

I'll live with Pouliot's defensive gaffes if he can continue to move to puck and create offense like last night against Philly, that was a nice breakaway pass to Boeser on Vancouver's second goal.  He'll continue to get better and hopefully limit the turnovers down the road.  Great pickup by JB.

• Like 2

On 2017-11-17 at 3:18 PM, TU90 said:

It was Edler dragging that pairing down. He was brutal every single time he stepped on the ice. 

We have fans have become numb to the fact that Edler has 3 -6 or more gaffes a game,. For some reason he is not scrutinized enough by the media or pressured by the team to tighten it up.

Personally, I would like to see the media question him more.

Pouliout's game is getting brighter each time, I'm sure he is happier to see Green's familiar face in an organization that wants him. .  even the trips back and forth to Utica where he will get more ice time, will bring him back with more confidence each time. I look forward to the progress of this young man.

.... there's bound to be lots of ice time for defensive call ups with the combined totals of man days lost to Edler and Tanev injuries.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

We have fans have become numb to the fact that Edler has 3 -6 or more gaffes a game,. For some reason he is not scrutinized enough by the media or pressured by the team to tighten it up.

Personally, I would like to see the media question him more.

Pouliout's game is getting brighter each time, I'm sure he is happier to see Green's familiar face in an organization that wants him. .  even the trips back and forth to Utica where he will get more ice time, will bring him back with more confidence each time. I look forward to the progress of this young man.

.... there's bound to be lots of ice time for defensive call ups with the combined totals of man days lost to Edler and Tanev injuries.

It makes me question my own ability to process the game. The mistakes I see Edler make are mistakes that would get a rookie sent down immediately. Can you imagine if Juolevi came in and played like Edler?

Yet, he continues to be on the first pairing and PP.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, TU90 said:

It makes me question my own ability to process the game. The mistakes I see Edler make are mistakes that would get a rookie sent down immediately. Can you imagine if Juolevi came in and played like Edler?

Yet, he continues to be on the first pairing and PP.

Unfortunately Edler is protected by his own contract, almost unmoveable, and definitely unsellable do to his play... and he is supposed to be our best Dman by all accounts.. we could only hope to receive a first round pick in return at the TDL for him bringing depth to a club on a cup run.

Keeping on topic with Pouliote,.  I think his confidence and vision is improving every game, I can be patient with his progress..

Edler however..

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Grats on your first as a Canuck, way to stick it to your former team as well!

Sutter also had a pretty good game thwarting his former team mates and topping it off with that empty netter. Nice to see both guys give them a bit of the middle finger ::D

Maybe we should make more trades with PIT? :lol: