The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sutter also had a pretty good game thwarting his former team mates and topping it off with that empty netter. Nice to see both guys give them a bit of the middle finger ::D

Maybe we should make more trades with PIT? :lol:

Stanley Cup Final series with us having mostly ex-Pittsburgh players? That could be fun. ;)

I dont actually think Pouliot's defensive game is all too bad.  He actually makes good reads, its his lateral skating that is the issue.  Not sure whether its his conditioning that needs work or just re-adjusting his lateral skating movement, but he is a tad too slow allowing players to move around him.

I think if he could improve his skating, he could be a lot more effective and elusive.

Are we seeing peak Pouliot right now or is there another gear for this guy?

The way he has been playing is showing me he has top 4 upside. All it will take is a little more consistency and confidence. 

After that a few of his clappers might go in and hopefully minimal mistakes in his own end.

One of the problems with having Tanev is he makes it look so easy to be a really good defender in your own zone. If Pouliot can get close to that I woukd be very happy. 

Expect this guy to move forward with our team long term

• Upvote 3

On 2017-11-28 at 1:24 AM, Derp... said:

Are we seeing peak Pouliot right now or is there another gear for this guy?

The way he has been playing is showing me he has top 4 upside. All it will take is a little more consistency and confidence. 

After that a few of his clappers might go in and hopefully minimal mistakes in his own end.

One of the problems with having Tanev is he makes it look so easy to be a really good defender in your own zone. If Pouliot can get close to that I woukd be very happy. 

Expect this guy to move forward with our team long term

Lat nights game (Leafs) was another sound performance by Pouliout .  He is paying attention to everything, and his reaction is getting better every game. I did notice him being more physical last night.  His progression is climbing, from a point of sound reliability, and his confidence growing with it.  I see him being a fantastic grab, and next season, after a Summers training with familiar team mates, being another great grab by Managment and Scouts, to recognize a player, like a Granlund or Baertschi, who needed a positive environment.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Not only did he score a beauty

dec-05-2017-23-26-46.gif?w=639&h=360

but also made nifty plays like this..

pouliot-dancing-new.gif?w=604&h=340

Those are both examples of "confident" plays.   He looks like a player who is having fun and "Playing" hockey versus the grind of a job and trying to find himself.   As a former CHL Dman of the year and a very high draft pick, Vancouver may be the play where he discovers that level of play simply by re-discovering how fun it can be to play hockey.

I wanted Pouliot when he was in the AHL with Pittsburgh ripping it up. The guy has always been good, he just needed an opportunity and he really wasn't getting it in Pittsburgh for whatever reason. We need to target more guys like this. Shea Theodore was another prime example. JB did the smart thing though, wait until his value was at an all time rock bottom and now we have a future star on our hands.

He's only in his early 20s, Pouliot by 28-30 could really hit his prime and help this team contend.

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Pouliot set career highs in assists and points with his great night.

I've got some even better news for you.

He's a +2 and on pace for 32 points. 

There is not a single defenceman playing for Pittsburgh right now who is a + player, and only Olli Maatta is on pace to match Derek's point total - barely (pacing at 36)

Derek is quickly becoming our 2nd most valuable Dman, behind Tanev.
When Guddy gets healthy things are going to get interesting because not only is Pouliot leading our defence in scoring, only Tanev and Hutton have a better +/-. (+11 and +4 respectively)
NO WAY does he come out of the lineup. So one of our guys is on the block. 
I'm betting on either Hutton or Guddy. Since Guddy brings a physical aspect we're seriously lacking back there, I'm going with Hutton, because Derek is trending consistently upward as his confidence grows. Don't forget he was an 8th overall pick. He never realized that in Pittsbugh, but it's starting to show now, and he's still only 23, actually a year and a half younger than Hutton.

Any way you look at it:

giphy.gif

1002174-jim-rutherford.jpg

• Like 1