The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I liked his crisp passes out of our zone. I liked what I saw of him, ho looked composed and had a good shot.

It's going to be a rough season or two here anyway, regardless of who plays.  Our goal tending is average, at best.  I think we need to let the kids play and develop, of which Pouliot looks to be a good one.

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's going to be a rough season or two here anyway, regardless of who plays.  Our goal tending is average, at best.  I think we need to let the kids play and develop, of which Pouliot looks to be a good one.

Bad teams get injured more, so I think the kids will get their chance to play anyway. Kind of like Stecher last year.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Hoping it turns out similar to the Ehrhoff robbery Gillis pulled off.

...without the asshat chasing of a cup money in BUF nonsense.

He has yet to even establish himself in the NHL so even if he does and does well we should have several years asshattery-free.  Probably get him on the cheap for a bridge deal, and with McEneny approaching readiness would have another option to update the D moving forward.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Looking really solid so far. He's got the hockey IQ and has really good puck moving skills and skating ability. Impressive so far!

So his skating ability is good... I heard contrary reports from the Pittsburgh beat-writer that follows the Pens after the trade. He said Pouliot's skating ability isn't what was advertised. Then on the radio during this Ottawa game Corey Hirsch said that Pouliot's skating ability is top notch and he moves with ease out on the ice. 

I'll have to watch closely when I get the chance, but if he can build upon his play and keep his defensive end clean then we'll have a keeper for sure.

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Really liking our left side right now. MDZ, Hutton, and Pouliout can all move the puck out with ease. 

Did not know what to expect from Pouliot but must admit that he looks good. Both he and Hutton and moving deep into the ozone. The wings are supposed to cover for that but that has been sketchy at times. Clear to me that Green wants more offence off the backend and is willing to give a green light.  

The change in look the Canucks are playing will catch many opponents by surprise. The challenge will be the 2nd go around when they have more tape to analize.

Edited by Boudrias

On 10/17/2017 at 6:13 AM, Alflives said:

It very well may be a rough year or two! :frantic:

Nilsson displayed some pretty good goaltending the very next game after you posted this though?  

• Upvote 1

Been really impressed. Still young and seems to be getting more comfortable every shift. Looked great on the PP. Loved how he moved down from the point and and back. Always looking for a chance. Very Lumme like. Looks like we might have our PPQB. As otherst have mentioned, his hockey IQ is right up there. Dare  I say it....Sami Salo 2.0???

• Upvote 1

Offensive defensemen by nature put pressure on their own zone as they take more chances. MDZ, Hutton and Stecher. Now add Pouliot. I like his skating and passing. All these d-men will be getting more attention by opposing video coaches to see if they can be taken advantage of. The more successful they are the greater possible space they will create in the neutral zone as defenders will have to respect their abilities.  

• Upvote 1

I've been quietly enjoying Derrick's play so far this season. He has seemingly slid into the lineup without an issue and I like what I have seen from him overall.

Travis has obviously told him to simplify his game, specifically in the defensive zone, and Derrick has transitioned this into reliable systems play. I hope this continues to earn Green's trust over the season and he gets more ice time and opportunity. He has made a few mistakes like most of our blueline, but these mistakes have seemed to be less frequent than majority of our D and not as costly.

The biggest complaint everyone seemed to have was on his defensive play and lack of physicality, so far both aspects have been better than I expected. There is obviously room for improvement and his high hockey IQ should allow him to succeed in these areas.

Overall I think this has been a very solid acquisition by JB and I look forward to seeing Derrick over the coming weeks. Prove the Pittsburgh critics wrong!

• Upvote 2