The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

If that is your expectation, you may want to switch to another team for a couple of years.

Yes I have high expectations and want to see the Canucks challenge for a cup.  High expectations and loyalty can get you far in life.  

4 minutes ago, samurai said:

Yes I have high expectations and want to see the Canucks challenge for a cup.  High expectations and loyalty can get you far in life.  

The only place those kind of expectations are going to get you is the land of disappointment.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How can you not be disappointed when something falls that short of your expectations. That doesn't even make sense.

Was referring to my post about having high expectations as a basic rule of life. Not to mention being loyal.   

On 10/21/2017 at 9:16 AM, ftmN said:

I've been quietly enjoying Derrick's play so far this season. He has seemingly slid into the lineup without an issue and I like what I have seen from him overall.

Travis has obviously told him to simplify his game, specifically in the defensive zone, and Derrick has transitioned this into reliable systems play. I hope this continues to earn Green's trust over the season and he gets more ice time and opportunity. He has made a few mistakes like most of our blueline, but these mistakes have seemed to be less frequent than majority of our D and not as costly.

The biggest complaint everyone seemed to have was on his defensive play and lack of physicality, so far both aspects have been better than I expected. There is obviously room for improvement and his high hockey IQ should allow him to succeed in these areas.

Overall I think this has been a very solid acquisition by JB and I look forward to seeing Derrick over the coming weeks. Prove the Pittsburgh critics wrong!

It's even better when you compare our current D to the mistake prone, slap-stick antics of the artists formerly known as Sbisa, Larsen, and Weber.

• Upvote 1

Its still early, but the Pedan-Pouliot deal is looking like a smart one so far. He's a good skater and puck mover, doesn't look out of place at all on the powerplay. Pedan was always too erratic for my liking in Utica, a guy who had all the physical tools you could ask for but lacked the hockey sense to use them. There haven't been too many mistakes so far for Pouliot, although his minutes have been sheltered. That will probably change with the Stecher injury, if he's out for a while... gonna be a big test for Pouliot to see if he can handle a bigger role.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Its still early, but the Pedan-Pouliot deal is looking like a smart one so far. He's a good skater and puck mover, doesn't look out of place at all on the powerplay. Pedan was always too erratic for my liking in Utica, a guy who had all the physical tools you could ask for but lacked the hockey sense to use them. There haven't been too many mistakes so far for Pouliot, although his minutes have been sheltered. That will probably change with the Stecher injury, if he's out for a while... gonna be a big test for Pouliot to see if he can handle a bigger role.

given that green has coached him before. i think he knows how to use him. and help him develop as well

look at the virt situation. .so much upset and grief over how green limited his minutes and made him basically earn every second of  ice time

kinda seems to be showing a return recently

i think green know how to use virt pretty well too

12 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Sometimes it is all about consistent TOI and a willingness by coaching to let mistakes happen. Over the course of a season it can do great things for a player. Green has shown a willingness to do this in the AHL. Pouliot was in a different situation in Pitt as they were always CUP contenders and the latitude was not there as much. He has a better opportunity in Van.