The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

25 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Oddly, no.

Loved the movie. Not sure why I haven't given it a go.

There are some similarities to the movie (some language and culture stuff), but it's totally different story-lines (which are all true stories). Each season has different characters and timeframes.

IMO, the show is even better than the movie. Billy Bob Thornton's character in season 1 is just amazing.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:40 AM, Monty said:

Maniac 

New Netflix show, created by one of the writers for The Leftovers (phenomenal show) and directed by Cary Fukunaga (directed and produced first season of True Detective.)

It has its ups and downs. Mostly unrealized potential. Good performances, especially by the always reliable Juston Theroux.

I would say that, if you haven’t seen The Leftovers, watch that instead. If you have and have high expectations, you’ll be disappointed.

I watched the seasons years ago. It's a very strange show.

On 2018-10-19 at 7:06 AM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The Haunting of Hill House is fantastic.

Half way through but the ending of the last episode gave me the chills. Great character development.

5 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

Loved this show. Very well done. 

Episode 6 was my favourite. That was the one that had incredibly long takes. The one shot with the kids and the parents lasted 9 minutes.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Monty said:

Episode 6 was my favourite. That was the one that had incredibly long takes. The one shot with the kids and the parents lasted 9 minutes.

Thanks for pointing this out. Paid extra close attention to episode 6, definitely a great episode and show. 

1 minute ago, HI5 said:

Thanks for pointing this out. Paid extra close attention to episode 6, definitely a great episode and show. 

I was absolutely floored by the long takes. Goes beyond some long scenes in films that last, at most, 2 minutes.

What was far more impressive, especially with that scene in question, is that the children acting in it did a great job. Kids are usually terrible actors.

Surprisingly, the only actor in the multiple long takes that seemed to do a poor job was one of the adults (guy who plays the eldest brother). Seemed to lack intensity needed in one of the funeral scenes when he was supposed to react upset. 

Jessica Jones, season 2 - 3/10

The first season was outstanding, but that was mostly due to David Tennant's portrayal of Kilgrave, which may be my favourite TV villain of all time. So even when another part of the cast/script misfired, his character remained the central figure, and carried the show. Luke Cage was also a highlight.

I put off watching season 2, because I feared it might be a let-down without those characters. But it's beyond a let-down...it's a vapid mess. It bounces around with storylines and plot developments, but none of them have any weight. The heroine is stupid. Her friend is stupid. Her lawyer is stupid. And the villain is stupid. And when it all comes to a head, the ending is ridiculously anti-climactic.

...Oh well, at least the 2nd best Netflix Marvel villain is back.

daredevil-season-3-photos-wilson-fisk-tr

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Jessica Jones, season 2 - 3/10

The first season was outstanding, but that was mostly due to David Tennant's portrayal of Kilgrave, which may be my favourite TV villain of all time. So even when another part of the cast/script misfired, his character remained the central figure, and carried the show. Luke Cage was also a highlight.

I put off watching season 2, because I feared it might be a let-down without those characters. But it's beyond a let-down...it's a vapid mess. It bounces around with storylines and plot developments, but none of them have any weight. The heroine is stupid. Her friend is stupid. Her lawyer is stupid. And the villain is stupid. And when it all comes to a head, the ending is ridiculously anti-climactic.

...Oh well, at least the 2nd best Netflix Marvel villain is back.

daredevil-season-3-photos-wilson-fisk-tr

I couldn’t get through Jessica Jones episode 2 on the second season. Could see it was going to be a mess.

46 minutes ago, Monty said:

I couldn’t get through Jessica Jones episode 2 on the second season. Could see it was going to be a mess.

"Mess" doesn't even start...

Spoiler

The main villain turns out to be her mom. But even though Jessica knows she's a menace to society who repeatedly kills whoever gets in her way (including a cop), she struggles with whether to turn her in. So instead she goes on a roadtrip with her (seriously!). They even save a family, and the mom wants them to become a superhero team (I'm not making this up!).

Then just when Jessica comes to terms with turning her mom in, Trish simply shoots her in the back of the head. (I can't believe I'm not making this up.)

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

"Mess" doesn't even start...

Reveal hidden contents

:lol:

And they made a season out of that?

On 10/19/2018 at 5:06 AM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The Haunting of Hill House is fantastic.

Half way through but the ending of the last episode gave me the chills. Great character development.

Will look into this, just started watching Penny Dreadful, having a good time.

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

:lol:

And they made a season out of that?

There was some made up crap with the lawyer, Trish, and Malcolm, but it was all pointless drivel.

It was absolutely terrible. I only gave it a 3 because it was at least reasonably well-acted, and actually seemed to be going somewhere at times. Along the way, it held my interest enough to finish it, but then when I looked back at what really happened, I was shocked it all got green-lighted.

Oh yeah, and 1 point was simply for...

Spoiler

...Kilgrave, who is in one episode, but just as a figment of Jessica's messed up mind. But he keeps taunting her, and it's funny at times. But it's also a reminder of how far the show fell once he was out of the picture.

Edited by D-Money