The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

Game of Thrones  ∞/10 - If you do not like this show that's ok, you're just dead to me that's all.

Ballers 6.5/10 - A show about football but it kind of fumbled in season two.

The Deuce 7/10 - It's alright but needs some substance quick.

Curb Your Enthusiasm 8/10 - I never watched this before but saw the season premiere, funny! 

Mike Judge Presents Tales for the Tour Bus 8.5/10 - Semi animated version of behind the music, hope they do other genres next season(they plan to)

Network TV shows suck, HBO ruined them.  If it doesn't have coarse language and/or nudity I won't even bother.  While watching football I see all these ads for the fall tv shows and my god they look so lame.  The Good Doctor, all the comic book shows, Me myself & I, etc.  It's like the shows they mock on the Simpsons some 20 years like "Don't go there!"

Bojack Horseman - 9/10

Was very impressed with this animated series on Netflix. I came in with the impression that this show was going to be pure comedy, but man, they really sprinkle emotional and powerful moments throughout all 4 seasons. I found season 1 a little slow at first as I'm sure producers were still trying to figure out the identity of the show and setting of future seasons, but they really excelled in developing their characters as the seasons progressed. Would recommend. One of my favorite shows I've watched this year.

3 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Bojack Horseman - 9/10

Was very impressed with this animated series on Netflix. I came in with the impression that this show was going to be pure comedy, but man, they really sprinkle emotional and powerful moments throughout all 4 seasons. I found season 1 a little slow at first as I'm sure producers were still trying to figure out the identity of the show and setting of future seasons, but they really excelled in developing their characters as the seasons progressed. Would recommend. One of my favorite shows I've watched this year.

I really enjoyed seasons 2 & 3 (you’re right about season 1). I was not able to get through season 4. Watched 6 episodes, or more accurately forced myself to watch them. Wasn’t digging it.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

I really enjoyed seasons 2 & 3 (you’re right about season 1). I was not able to get through season 4. Watched 6 episodes, or more accurately forced myself to watch them. Wasn’t digging it.

Understand about season 4 (wasn't my favorite either but still enjoyed it). High hopes for season 5 though. 

F is for family is my current medicine right now.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Star Trek Discovery - Update

I’m sure most here aren’t Star Trek nerds, so my updated assessment (like my movies reviews) probably fall on deaf ears. But here goes.

So, I really think this new series is quite awful. For those unfamiliar, the timeline of this series takes place between Star Trek Enterprise (Scott Bakula version) and 10 year before Star Trek TOS (Shatner). And this is where the problems start. 

If you’re a Star Trek fan, this timeline falls into when the Prime Directive wasn’t a thing yet. Which means, as a viewer, we’ve already seen this before. We’ve seen where Captains and Crew have made questionable decisions, as they were allowed more leeway. I could get more into this, but a discussion like this is better over dialogue, because as ST fans know, one could talk for hours. So long story short on this issue, if you’re a Star Trek fan (or not), this is a problem. They’ve tapped out this area already and it’s unnecessary.

Adding to the above, but it’s own problem altogether, is that because of the timeline, they are at war. This means that the overall tone of the show is very dark. As a viewer of all the seasons, the entire point of the Star Trek universe is that they were apart of the Federation; which aspired to being something greater. A world that we, as the viewer, wanted to be apart of. A world that wanted to be peaceful in their dealings with each other and other cultures. This new series does not follow this. The tone, which is incredibly dark, also shows the crew of the Discovery as people who are not only cold with each other, but also don’t trust one another (which is incredibly odd) and have zero chemistry. This is a massive problem with the show. Knowing that the Federation exists due to different species and cultures working together for something greater, seeing a crew that has no trust towards each other, which again is odd because it’s based on nothing, is incredibly confusing and counter to their entire belief system.

Lastly, the characters are cold, have no chemistry, and worst of all, have no heart. There’s no reason to like any of these people or care about them. They are empty vessels.

If you’re into Star Trek, you’ll probably hate it. If you want to get into Star Trek and have never seen it before, don’t watch this one to get into it. And if you hate Star Trek, you’ll probably hate this, because it just plain sucks.

Damn.  I didn't want to hear this, just recently "acquired" the first 3 episodes and haven't watched them yet.  Not sure I'm a Trekkie, but I've seen all episodes of the original, all of TNG (like 10 times over) and most of the others...and all the movies new and old. So, don't bother with Discovery? 

1 minute ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Damn.  I didn't want to hear this, just recently "acquired" the first 3 episodes and haven't watched them yet.  Not sure I'm a Trekkie, but I've seen all episodes of the original, all of TNG (like 10 times over) and most of the others...and all the movies new and old. So, don't bother with Discovery? 

If you’ve seen TNG 10 times over, which is the required viewing amount, I can’t say “Don’t bother”, because you obviously enjoy Star Trek. But you will be disappointed.

The new movies are barely Star Trek (except Beyond), but they at least have moments of Star Trek in them, which makes them watchable. But Discovery is is just a constant reminder of “What if?”

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Exterior shots of the show are of the actual city the story is set in. But it is filmed in Calgary. 

Makes sense.

I used to live in Calgary so some scenes do have a bit of deja vu to them, but I wonder if that's just my brain looking for things to look familiar even if they aren't really.

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

I really find it quite funny they are trying for the shock appeal of the show by using F Bombs where there was no real need to use F bombs, pretty gratuitous violence and even trying to shock us with a homosexual on ship romance... None of it was shocking and could be done well for a show like this but in reality it all feels so contrived vs. letting those things come about naturally..

I do like the ship itself and that is about all I can say about the show so far... I will give it a few more episodes before writing it off completely as I have started other series which I didn't like in the beginning but ended up being a big fan of.

You think gay characters existing is the show trying to shock you with them?

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Star Trek Discovery - Update

I’m sure most here aren’t Star Trek nerds, so my updated assessment (like my movies reviews) probably fall on deaf ears. But here goes.

So, I really think this new series is quite awful. For those unfamiliar, the timeline of this series takes place between Star Trek Enterprise (Scott Bakula version) and 10 year before Star Trek TOS (Shatner). And this is where the problems start. 

If you’re a Star Trek fan, this timeline falls into when the Prime Directive wasn’t a thing yet. Which means, as a viewer, we’ve already seen this before. We’ve seen where Captains and Crew have made questionable decisions, as they were allowed more leeway. I could get more into this, but a discussion like this is better over dialogue, because as ST fans know, one could talk for hours. So long story short on this issue, if you’re a Star Trek fan (or not), this is a problem. They’ve tapped out this area already and it’s unnecessary.

Adding to the above, but it’s own problem altogether, is that because of the timeline, they are at war. This means that the overall tone of the show is very dark. As a viewer of all the seasons, the entire point of the Star Trek universe is that they were apart of the Federation; which aspired to being something greater. A world that we, as the viewer, wanted to be apart of. A world that wanted to be peaceful in their dealings with each other and other cultures. This new series does not follow this. The tone, which is incredibly dark, also shows the crew of the Discovery as people who are not only cold with each other, but also don’t trust one another (which is incredibly odd) and have zero chemistry. This is a massive problem with the show. Knowing that the Federation exists due to different species and cultures working together for something greater, seeing a crew that has no trust towards each other, which again is odd because it’s based on nothing, is incredibly confusing and counter to their entire belief system.

Lastly, the characters are cold, have no chemistry, and worst of all, have no heart. There’s no reason to like any of these people or care about them. They are empty vessels.

If you’re into Star Trek, you’ll probably hate it. If you want to get into Star Trek and have never seen it before, don’t watch this one to get into it. And if you hate Star Trek, you’ll probably hate this, because it just plain sucks.

That's funny, because I'm a life long Star Trek fan and I'm loving the series so far. 

Complaining about the show being dark has been a common complaint but a lot of people seem to forget that some of the absolute best Trek that came before was on the darker side of things. Wrath of Khan, In the Pale Moonlight, Best of Both Worlds, etc, all lauded by fans and critics alike and all containing some very heavy, dark subject matter in them.

If all we need out of Star Trek is an optimistic vision of the future, we'd be talking about how awesome the 1st season of TNG was. After-all, the characters were all highly evolved morally and there was never any conflict between the crew.....but it's pretty much universally agreed on that early TNG sucked. Why?

I'll just leave with a quote from Sisko: "Do you know what the trouble is? The trouble is Earth. On Earth there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see paradise. It's easy to be a saint in paradise, but the Maquis do not live in paradise. Out there in the demilitarized zone all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints, just people...angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's funny, because I'm a life long Star Trek fan and I'm loving the series so far. 

Complaining about the show being dark has been a common complaint but a lot of people seem to forget that some of the absolute best Trek that came before was on the darker side of things. Wrath of Khan, In the Pale Moonlight, Best of Both Worlds, etc, all lauded by fans and critics alike and all containing some very heavy, dark subject matter in them.

If all we need out of Star Trek is an optimistic vision of the future, we'd be talking about how awesome the 1st season of TNG was. After-all, the characters were all highly evolved morally and there was never any conflict between the crew.....but it's pretty much universally agreed on that early TNG sucked. Why?

I'll just leave with a quote from Sisko: "Do you know what the trouble is? The trouble is Earth. On Earth there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see paradise. It's easy to be a saint in paradise, but the Maquis do not live in paradise. Out there in the demilitarized zone all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints, just people...angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive."

After witnessing the best Star Trek character ever - WESLEY CRUSHER - I just can't really enjoy any Star Trek.  :lol:  

18 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Agree with all of this, except the dark point on Wrath of Khan. Mainly because I really don’t even think the Star Trek movies should even be compared to the shows, as they completely abandon the show concept in order to keep people entertained for 2 hours. A movie that focuses on Picard stuck in a history timeline where he lives a full life and learns to play the flute, while a fantastic episode, makes for a dull film.

21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

While I won’t speak for Aladeen, I think what he was referring to was that it seems shoehorned/forced in, instead of it just happening organically.

While I know there are numerous episodes from previous series, the one that stands out was when Riker had a sexual encounter with non gendered species. Terrific episode which I won’t spoil more, as the outcome was absolutely heartbreaking. But this episode, and others like it that are 25+ years old, didn’t feel forced.

Shows today appear that it’s put into the show not organically, but preemptively in order to not come across as to not offend a specific group. That’s my thinking on it, which may be entirely off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

If you’ve seen TNG 10 times over, which is the required viewing amount, I can’t say “Don’t bother”, because you obviously enjoy Star Trek. But you will be disappointed.

The new movies are barely Star Trek (except Beyond), but they at least have moments of Star Trek in them, which makes them watchable. But Discovery is is just a constant reminder of “What if?”

So it's Shaka, when the walls fell.  I'll end up watching it at some point I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

So it's Shaka, when the walls fell.  I'll end up watching it at some point I'm sure.

:lol:

The. Worst. Episode. Ever.

Makes me smile that someone knows this on here off the top of their head.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

Agree with all of this, except the dark point on Wrath of Khan. Mainly because I really don’t even think the Star Trek movies should even be compared to the shows, as they completely abandon the show concept in order to keep people entertained for 2 hours. A movie that focuses on Picard stuck in a history timeline where he lives a full life and learns to play the flute, while a fantastic episode, makes for a dull film.

Obviously what works on a forty minute TV show doesn't work for a movie but Wrath of Khan was a direct sequel to a TOS episode and is pretty much universally agreed upon as being the high mark for Star Trek movies. You can't just say "it's a movie so it doesn't count". Hell, the original series had a Federation bigwig who decided "You know what would make this planet better? Nazis!" and he wasn't even the main villain by the end of it.

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

While I won’t speak for Aladeen, I think what he was referring to was that it seems shoehorned/forced in, instead of it just happening organically.

While I know there are numerous episodes from previous series, the one that stands out was when Riker had a sexual encounter with non gendered species. Terrific episode which I won’t spoil more, as the outcome was absolutely heartbreaking. But this episode, and others like it that are 25+ years old, didn’t feel forced.

Shows today appear that it’s put into the show not organically, but preemptively in order to not come across as to not offend a specific group. That’s my thinking on it, which may be entirely off.

Because of casting choices, "The Outcast" comes across less as Star Trek saying "it's okay to be gay!" and more like one woman's quest for **** in the face of lesbian tyranny. Isn't it a little telling that when Guinan is telling Soren about relationships between genders that they never mention that some people are attracted to the same gender? Or that there was supposed to be a gay couple in the background of that scene but they were cut because it was too controversial? That's the high water mark for Star Trek and gays? Damn....

Been watching a lot of trashy TV lately. I'm kinda too embarrassed to list those lol 

But I checked out the new Will & Grace and The Brave a couple days ago. 

Will & Grace - 5/10

It just doesn't seem as good as the old one. The jokes felt a bit forced and awkward. 

I'll probably still watch a few more episodes though, if only just for nostalgia.  

The Brave - 7/10

There was good action/drama and I like how there are some strong female characters. 

A pretty good show overall. Need a few more eps to really judge though.