The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Worst actor of the group

I like Ryker. He wasn’t given a lot to work with, so I thought he was fine with what he was given.

I also like most characters from TNG, except for:

1. Wesley: Although, he was funny to laugh at, not with. Very cringe.

2. Beverly Crusher: She was hit and miss. A lot of miss.

3. Deanna Troi: While she didn’t have the cringe factor of Wesley, her character was useless. Wesley and Beverly have actual jobs that were necessary on a ship. If they weren’t there, they’d still need people to fill those jobs. For Troi, she was essentially used to say, “They seem dishonest.” Snooze.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

I like Ryker. He wasn’t given a lot to work with, so I thought he was fine with what he was given.

I also like most characters from TNG, except for:

1. Wesley: Although, he was funny to laugh at, not with. Very cringe.

2. Beverly Crusher: She was hit and miss. A lot of miss.

3. Deanna Troi: While she didn’t have the cringe factor of Wesley, her character was useless. Wesley and Beverly have actual jobs that were necessary on a ship. If they weren’t there, they’d still need people to fill those jobs. For Troi, she was essentially used to say, “They seem dishonest.” Snooze.

Troi actress was a very terrible actor.

I understood the concept of a ship counselor. I just don't think they delivered on it too well.

My comment about Frakes being a lousy actor is mostly impacted by the one movie he directed. He clearly couldn't direct his own acting.  lol

• 3 weeks later...

Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime Series, season 1) - 5/10

This could have been much better. The main villain is charismatic and his story is well-presented. The plotline as a whole - despite doing the same old Islamic terrorist thing - still has some interesting twists and developments. But there are a number of major flaws that undermine everything.

• John Krasinski was a poor choice for the lead. I usually like him, but he didn't fit this role.
  • The girlfriend was just...odd. Their relationship seemed forced, and the actors seemed to have no chemistry at all.
  • Jack's mini moral crusades are ridiculous, and at times downright cringe-worthy.
  • The side story with the drone pilot was just...:picard:
Spoiler

Also, the show gives glimpses of the multiple people with the CIA (and even other law-enforcement agencies) who are involved with the investigations. And yet, Ryan is somehow directly involved with every major event/decision of the plot, in multiple countries...even though he's supposedly just an analyst. It's like everyone else is an idiot, who has no value, and only Jack can figure it out... ...unless, of course, it involves some sort of moral gray area, in which case he turns into a 12 year-old boy scout who can't understand the world he lives in.

This becomes even more infuriating in the last episode, when you find out what happened in his past - that a simple child easily duped him into causing the deaths of dozens of people. And yet, he still seems to think everything is black-and-white.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime Series, season 1) - 5/10

This could have been much better. The main villain is charismatic and his story is well-presented. The plotline as a whole - despite doing the same old Islamic terrorist thing - still has some interesting twists and developments. But there are a number of major flaws that undermine everything.

• John Krasinski was a poor choice for the lead. I usually like him, but he didn't fit this role.
  • The girlfriend was just...odd. Their relationship seemed forced, and the actors seemed to have no chemistry at all.
  • Jack's mini moral crusades are ridiculous, and at times downright cringe-worthy.
  • The side story with the drone pilot was just...:picard:
  Reveal hidden contents

I stopped watching after 4 episodes (I think). My wife finished it, though. I was very bored watching it.

Travelers - 9.5/10

On Netflix. 3 more episodes to watch in season 3. Love it. Sci-fi US/Canadian series. First two season were Showcase, season 3 (just released) was Netflix. Never heard of it until 2 weeks ago. So good. All main actors are Canadian. Many of whom had roles on Battlestar Galatica.

If you love sci-fi, this series is for you. Didn’t know anything about it going in, which was nice. Very interesting concept, and the characters are really well flushed out.

Obvious favourites right off the bat are Marcie (MacKenzie Porter, who’s the standout from moment one), David (Patrick Gilmore), Trevor (Jared Abrahamson), and scene stealer Grace (Jennifer Spence).

Really recommend everyone giving it a watch. MacKenzie Porter really showcases her acting chops in a complex character performance. I really don’t want to give away the premise, as that’s the fun in watching the series unfold.

FD2DCFE1-EC26-49B9-A754-75A10189CB90.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aliboy said:

Anyone else watch The Magicians?? Whoever did the casting for this thing, the women in the series have me hooked, all the casting is good but the women are just wow. lol

It's 'ok' and yes, the female cast is pretty attractive. A lot of weird and unnecessary changes from the books though.

#books are better

• 2 weeks later...

Russian Doll - 7/10

Netflix series (guessing it's just one standalone season of 8 episodes), which kind of has a similar theme to Groundhog Day. The first 3 episodes are pretty 'meh', but then new characters, twists, and plot devices make things much more interesting. It turned out to be far more layered and thought-provoking than I expected.

48 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Russian Doll - 7/10

Netflix series (guessing it's just one standalone season of 8 episodes), which kind of has a similar theme to Groundhog Day. The first 3 episodes are pretty 'meh', but then new characters, twists, and plot devices make things much more interesting. It turned out to be far more layered and thought-provoking than I expected.

I finished it about a week ago and already forget most of it. Was impressed with Natasha Lyonne’s performance. Don’t think the series would have been watchable without her. 

Otherwise, I was actually pretty bored.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I finished it about a week ago and already forget most of it. Was impressed with Natasha Lyonne’s performance. Don’t think the series would have been watchable without her. 

Otherwise, I was actually pretty bored.

I also liked Charlie Barnett's character. Thought the two of them worked well together, despite being polar opposites personality-wise.

Every time I started to feel like my interest was waning, they threw a new twist in. Overall, thought it was quite good.

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I also liked Charlie Barnett's character. Thought the two of them worked well together, despite being polar opposites personality-wise.

Every time I started to feel like my interest was waning, they threw a new twist in. Overall, thought it was quite good.

For me, it was one of those times where the actor carried the series. I’ve sort of been waiting for Lyonne to have a role that she could carry. From what I know about her and her history, she’s an awfully smart and clever person. Co-created and co-wrote the series, which was impressive. Don’t think there are many actresses that could believably pull of her character.

Perhaps I was a little harsh. I wasn’t bored, because I did take the time to finish it. It was good. Not great. I know they intend it to be a 3 season run, as Lyonne mentioned that although each season can be taken as its own (in case it gets cancelled), they always had an overall vision for 3 seasons.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ha, Riker.

Wife and I used to watch TNG. She was bit of a Trekkie.

Whenever Picard would say " Fire at Will ! "

It would always get our hopes up.   :P

The TNG “fire at will ” episodes were the best.  I hated all the “exploration of feelings” crap with Troi and Gynan(sp?).  Picard cried too much too.  Yuk!  All that “feelings” crap reminded of the worst original series episode, where Spok got spreyed by some plant, and exported his feelings.  Total crap!  “FIRE AT WILL” is much better:)  

• Haha 1

Invader Zim - 8.5/10

I love cartoons, especially completely irreverent ones about  incompetent aliens attempting to conquer the planet Earth.

Invader Zim is one such cartoon, from the demented mind of Jhonen Vasquez, creator of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. Its awesome.

invader_zim_2.jpg