The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

On 5/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, Bllewellyn said:

Chernobyl ep 3

9/10 show doesn’t disappoint. Not quite as good as the first two but still very interesting.

Tried watching the pilot and we all thought it was boring. Also did not like the fact that they had English accents. They are Russians!

Currently watching or recently watched:

Bosch (really good crime drama that gets no advertisement!)  8/10

Blindspot (this is becoming dumb, saw the season ender)  6/10

Blacklist   7.5/10

Big Bang Theory (loved the series ender) 8/10 

Last but not least; Game of Thrones (best show ever and it was a GOOD series ender, was just a bit rushed and could have used a few more episodes)  10/10

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I watched the first ep of Chernobyl and 3/4 of the way through it just seemed too depressing. Anyone want to change my mind on this?

that's funny. I just came into this thread to say I finished episode 3, and I was going to praise the show for its great consistent tone of dread throughout. the show gives me a nonstop uneasiness, and i kind of love that.

5 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

that's funny. I just came into this thread to say I finished episode 3, and I was going to praise the show for its great consistent tone of dread throughout. the show gives me a nonstop uneasiness, and i kind of love that.

I don't need balance, but if something is 100% bleak or 100% sunshine and rainbows, I get tired of it. Chernobyl to me just seems like something that is 100% miserable and you know how it ends. 

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I don't need balance, but if something is 100% bleak or 100% sunshine and rainbows, I get tired of it. Chernobyl to me just seems like something that is 100% miserable and you know how it ends. 

I want to see it, but I’m with you in the 100% one way or another. I just find it too difficult to care.

Longmire (whole series) - 7.5/10

Has its ups and downs, but is generally a solid show, from beginning to end. Starts as strictly a procedural, but then works in serial stories as well. The main characters are well-written and likeable.

One thing I appreciated was how the show presents common problems associated with Reserves, while still presenting the Natives in a respectful manner. The jurisdiction issues that can come into play involving Reserves in the US was a common theme, and very interesting.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Act 1: This is bad

Act 2: Things remain bad

Act 3: This ends bad

Compelling. 

i guess the degrees of badness are just new to me. and while i'm not sure the information is important for me to know, i do find it interesting. like, for example, i had no idea radiation does what it apparently does, as depicted in episode 3. it's so bad that i assumed the show was exaggerating. did my share of googling after the episode and nope, seems 100% accurate

so i guess what makes it compelling IS how bad it can get, how bad the politics were, how bad the environmental damage is/was, how bad the health risks were - i knew, but did i really know? not really

i just wish there was a fact checker scrolling across the side of the screen so i could see what is an exaggeration or what is accurate

• Upvote 1

Spawn: HBO Animated    9/10

Quite possibly the finest adult anime ever. Superb art, phenomenal voice acting, dark themes with an undertone of sex, comedy, and oh yeah...lots of the ole' ultra-violence

Edited by falcon45ca

• 4 weeks later...

Too Old Die Young

First episode is really good. Standard NWR, though. So you know what to expect in the first episode.

Heard episode 2 is really bad, and 3 isn’t great either. But it picks up with a great 4th and 5th. Looking forward to powering through the next two.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, Monty said:

Too Old Die Young

First episode is really good. Standard NWR, though. So you know what to expect in the first episode.

Heard episode 2 is really bad, and 3 isn’t great either. But it picks up with a great 4th and 5th. Looking forward to powering through the next two.

I audibly yawned several times throughout episode 2. And it’s only 5:15pm.

Too Old To Die Young

Alirght, so finally finished the entire series.

First off, if you’re familiar with Nicolas Winding Refn’s work, then you know what to expect. Great music, amazing colours, long pauses in between dialogue, and incredibly, incredibly violent. Hard to unsee, violence. So, don’t watch unless you know this and can stomach it. 

That out of the way, I feel as though NWR’s work is better suited to a miniseries. However, much like his most recent work, there are entire episodes that are unnecessary, don’t add to the story much, and wouldn’t have been missed if it was shortened down from 10 episodes to 6 episodes. And I say 6 episodes because I feel episode one, while not great, is needed to set everything up. Episodes 4-8 are really good, with episode 5 “The Fool”, simultaneously the most difficult to stomach at the beginning, the most satisfying at the end, and easily the best of the series and, perhaps, one of NWR best things filmed.

But no joke, the series feels finished after episode 8, with 9 and 10 feeling completely unnecessary. I know it’s tough to take the advice from those that say, “Just watch episodes 1, and 4-8”. I didn’t, either. But I can absolutely see why. 2, 3, 9, and 10 are really nothing. Each of the episodes are an hour and a half long, except 10, which is 30 minutes. Episode 10 is useless, where the others (2,3, and 9) may have 3-5 minutes of actual worth, but then nothingness afterwards.

Watch it you like his work, or have liked it in the past. But keep in mind that the gold is 4-8. And honestly, if you were to skip 2 episodes, skip 9 and 10.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:40 PM, Down by the River said:

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

I don't know why I enjoy this show considering that I typically find Jerry Seinfeld way too full of himself. 

because it's soooo cozy