The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The Last Dance: 7.5/10

Craving sports and this doc on the Bulls' dynasty(ies) helps with that... but it seems really disorganized. I could like the idea of going back and forth between 1998 and the journey that got them to that point... but overall it just seems like they jump around without a theme purpose. Like someone with severe ADHD directed it. Still worth watching. 

Yeah, so far I’d given it a similar rating. Enjoyed episode 1 and 2 a lot, but 3 could have been a lot better. Episode 4 was excruciating.

Ozark S2

Decided to give it another try. I had watched up until around E5 and then gave up about a year ago. 

The show is nearly impossible to watch in the light of day. Everything is so dark (literally) or shot in an awful blue tint. It's like the director discovered Adobe yesterday. Hard to get into the series. 

18 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Ozark S2

Decided to give it another try. I had watched up until around E5 and then gave up about a year ago. 

The show is nearly impossible to watch in the light of day. Everything is so dark (literally) or shot in an awful blue tint. It's like the director discovered Adobe yesterday. Hard to get into the series. 

Season 2 is awful. At least, in my opinion. It was a major slog.

Season 3 is terrific.

State of Happiness

Caught the first episode of this Norwegian 8-part drama mini-series which is starting on Knowledge Network.  It's based on true events about the discovery of oil off Norway in the late sixties and the changes that result, zooming in on four main characters.

If the first episode is any indication, this could be a good series.

Tiger King - 6/10

Episodes 2-4 were very entertaining and interesting, but by the end of it I just didn’t care, and it became a chore to finish. Everybody just seemed like a giant A-hole, most of all Joe Exotic. 

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Tiger King - 6/10

Episodes 2-4 were very entertaining and interesting, but by the end of it I just didn’t care, and it became a chore to finish. Everybody just seemed like a giant A-hole, most of all Joe Exotic. 

I really enjoyed it, but in a “clown car crash” sort of way. It’s hilarious to see a two car crash with 50 clowns in two tiny cars, but these are still people. So it’s both sad and, as you said, they’re assholes.

It’s easy to forget that these people are someone’s child. While truly awful people, they are someone’s kids, and it’s sad.

• Cheers 1

I missed  Orphan Black in its original run so I'm late to the show by a few years.  I just finished up the series.  Really good, I thought.  And Tatiany Maslany is a terrific actress - playing a bunch of different clones with completely different personalities - it was easy to forget there was one person doing them all.

image.jpeg.c650dab6bd89f23ce4e15dd650aa161c.jpeg

On 4/28/2020 at 7:16 PM, Down by the River said:

The Last Dance: 7.5/10

Craving sports and this doc on the Bulls' dynasty(ies) helps with that... but it seems really disorganized. I could like the idea of going back and forth between 1998 and the journey that got them to that point... but overall it just seems like they jump around without a theme purpose. Like someone with severe ADHD directed it. Still worth watching. 

Episodes 5 & 6 were both really good. Think it was only episode 4 that was particularly below average. 

I don't want to say it's "watered down", as I know they had to get 100% buy in from Jordan before they could even start work on this back in 2017 and gather the footage and begin the current interviews, so they won't focus on the more controversial parts of him as a teammate/friend. However, the next two episodes will really show just how much was kept on the cutting room floor, or how much they decided to avoid, as it will go into the devestating time of Jordan's father being murdered, the controversery surrounding that (ie: ties to mafia and Jordan's gambling). In respect to the Jordan family, it won't be altogether surprising that they don't address the mafia and drill further into the very sketchy gambling that Jordan was apart of. That's not what this documentary is about, nor should it be. The next two episodes will be sad, though.

Billions - Season 5 (Ep 1 & 2)

Really enjoyed episode 1, episode 2 was underwhelming. Episode 2 seemed to be resting on the shows laurels and just coasting.

For the most part, the series has been good at pushing the characters forward. However, with strong female characters that don’t get as much to work with and push forward, that’s an area the show can really step forward, especially considering Maggie Siff and Condola Rashad’s characters are terrifically written and acted roles. Give them more to work with, rather than just side characters to Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis’ character growth, I think the show can really keep things going. If not, then they should think about stopping it, soon. Otherwise, it will wear out its welcome.

Edited by Monty
Spelling

On 5/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, Monty said:

Billions - Season 5 (Ep 1 & 2)

Really enjoyed episode 1, episode 2 was underwhelming. Episode 2 seemed to be resting on the shows laurels and just coasting.

For the most part, the series has been good at pushing the characters forward. However, with strong female characters that don’t get as much to work with and push forward, that’s an area the show can really step forward, especially considering Maggie Siff and Condola Rashad’s characters are terrifically written and acted roles. Give them more to work with, rather than just side characters to Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis’ character growth, I think the show can really keep things going. If not, then they should think about stopping it, soon. Otherwise, it will wear out its welcome.

I'm rewatching it again actually. Seasons 1 to now 5. I watched this when it first came out but fell out of it waiting for season 4.

After Life - seasons 1 & 2

8.5/10

Love this show. Ricky Gervais has created some lovely characters and isn’t afraid to hammer us with his honesty (again). Glad to hear season 3 has been approved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the jokes in the last season of Community I missed the first time. 

Britta: My friends think my parents are great, but they weren’t there when they sucked.

Frankie: Ah, Jimmy Fallon Syndrome, I get it.

Never a truer thing said.

• Like 1

Flashback to '94. Sportsnet is carrying the series versus the Laffers. I have Game #4 in the can to watch tonight. Canucks up 3-1. Don't tell me how it plays out! The advantage to getting older is forgetting things. :)  As mentioned previously, the game has changed so much. I'm yelling for penalties and nothing happens. Bure is a beaut and Linden is so steady. The Van d-core is better than I remember. Pretty solid. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Flashback to '94. Sportsnet is carrying the series versus the Laffers. I have Game #4 in the can to watch tonight. Canucks up 3-1. Don't tell me how it plays out! The advantage to getting older is forgetting things. :)  As mentioned previously, the game has changed so much. I'm yelling for penalties and nothing happens. Bure is a beaut and Linden is so steady. The Van d-core is better than I remember. Pretty solid. 

How does that cliche' go?  The whole is better than the sum of it's parts.  Granted, having McLean play at an elevated level made all the blueliners look better.

• Upvote 1

Space Force

New Netflix show, starring Steve Carrell, which was both created by Carrell and one of the producers of the US version of "The Office".

It's about as good as the trailer makes it out to be. Not funny. There's certainly a few moments of humour in it, but it's more of a dramedy (though way more light hearted). But not really funny. There's a level of charm in it that keeps you going back to watch more, and certainly the fact that you can watch the entire series in a couple days makes it easier to swallow.

However, that's the problem with binge tv that I've always had. Whenever a show drops on Netflix/Amazon and you can watch it all in one sitting, I'm convinced a lot more shows are giving a pass because you can watch it all right away. In the past, Space Force probably wouldn't make it past episode 3 or 4 on traditional tv and would be cancelled pretty quickly. The positive thing, though, is that the show does have promise. And if they manage to tighten up the story and fine tune the characters and tone, I believe they can have something, here. But in it's current form, I can't see it being interesting past this one season.