The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

On 2017-10-16 at 7:28 PM, Down by the River said:

Mindhunter: 9.5/10

I do a version of this in my own career and much of what is done/talked about is quite accurate. Far different from the Criminal Minds/CSI-type shows.

Just finished Mindhunter. Yeah, I’d also give this a near perfect score. Incredibly interesting.

On 10/17/2017 at 11:03 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

The Good Doctor......unless you know or have a family member with autism you may not get the show.

Real Rob (Season 2) on Netflix

Is that show good? I'm contemplating watching it. 

The Leftovers

Currently on episode 6 of season 1. Didn’t even hear about this show until Friday. Really great HBO show.

Without giving anything away, the premise is that 2% of the world's population mysteriously vanishes from existence. 3 years later, you follow numerous people in a small city. Fantastic writing and acting.

And like any show, the first episode just sets up the characters and the story. Each subsequent episode had an entirely different feel.

Update:

Star Trek Discovery

So instead of comparing to past Star Trek’s, I decided to watch the last one pretending that it was its own standalone show not based on anything (despite the constant in your face references). No subtlety here.

It still sucks. I hesitate to call it a dark show at this point. If anything, I’d say it’s more bleak. But regardless, the word that perfectly describes it is “empty”. The characters fall completely flat and come across as empty vessels that are one dimensional. But the dimension they all portray is some tired person who has little to no emotion. What’s worse is that the personality types these characters are portraying are not relatable and therefore, not interesting.

I was watching the YouTube channel, “Lessons from the Screenplay”, where the video essay was about Crafting a TV pilot, which focused squarely on Breaking Bad. We all know that pilots of shows, and the subsequent episodes, are usually the weakest, as they take time to flush out the characters. However, what was focused on here was Vince Gilligan took the entire first episode of Breaking Bad and focused on his success in developing Walter White’s character. Other characters were introduced, but the focal point was developing Walter White. He’s the protagonist and, while you may not agree with what he did in the first episode, the point was to get the viewer to understand why he went from Step 1 to Step 4. Along those stages, you don’t agree with him, but you FEEL for him and his situation.

This is where majority of shows fail. They can’t all be Breaking Bad. However, writers are talented (for the most part), and they have decades of great, successful shows to study from and see why they work. Star Trek Discovery fails right at the basic level. You don’t care about the characters, because you don’t feel for their situation.

Just finished Bloodline.

The first season was fantastic. The 2nd season had some good moments, but paled in comparison. The 3rd season was a steaming pile of crap. 

I slogged through it, thinking there was no way it could fall so far. Unless you're the type who can watch one season and not feel the need to finish it, it's a pass.

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

Just finished Bloodline.

The first season was fantastic. The 2nd season had some good moments, but paled in comparison. The 3rd season was a steaming pile of crap. 

I slogged through it, thinking there was no way it could fall so far. Unless you're the type who can watch one season and not feel the need to finish it, it's a pass.

Was wondering how this turned out for you. I watched episode one and didn’t go any further.

Not going to give it another viewing.

I know I'm late to the party, but my Mom and I decided to watch Dr. Who together. We're starting at the beginning of the new series started in the mid 00s and on Season 3 now. Pretty good show! Generally pretty clean and good characters.

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I know I'm late to the party, but my Mom and I decided to watch Dr. Who together. We're starting at the beginning of the new series started in the mid 00s and on Season 3 now. Pretty good show! Generally pretty clean and good characters.

Season 3 is when it gets better. And it’s peak is Matt Smith’s first season as the Doctor.

Then it hits a roadblock and it just gets worse.

Just now, aGENT said:

3 episodes in to season one. How does it hold up?

I don’t remember. I thought season 1 was ok, but not the most amazing thing everyone is making it out to be. It’s just “ok”. I’ve discussed this before with how Netflix releasing all episodes at once “tricks” the viewing audience into thinking something is a lot better than it actually is.

I haven’t watched anymore of season 2 after the first 2 episodes.

Just now, Monty said:

I don’t remember. I thought season 1 was ok, but not the most amazing thing everyone is making it out to be. It’s just “ok”. I’ve discussed this before with how Netflix releasing all episodes at once “tricks” the viewing audience into thinking something is a lot better than it actually is.

I haven’t watched anymore of season 2 after the first 2 episodes.

Well as a parent, it's taken us about a week to watch those 3 episodes, so hopefully I don't fall so easily/far in to that trap :lol:

But yeah, so far I'd say it's 'above average' AKA better than most of the trash on TV but it's not blowing me away as a 'top ten evarrrrrrr!' show. Certainly watchable and able to retain my attention thus far though. Hopefully they can maintain that.

I'm already a bit skeptical on where they're headed with the show's 'boogeyman' though... <_<

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Well as a parent, it's taken us about a week to watch those 3 episodes, so hopefully I don't fall so easily/far in to that trap :lol:

But yeah, so far I'd say it's 'above average' AKA better than most of the trash on TV but it's not blowing me away as a 'top ten evarrrrrrr!' show. Certainly watchable and able to retain my attention thus far though. Hopefully they can maintain that.

I'm already a bit skeptical on where they're headed with the show's 'boogeyman' though... <_<

I don’t want to sound like I’m just crapping in it for the fun of it. Like you said, it’s average. Perfectly average.

Probably important for context to remember that Stranger Things s1 came out in the middle of summer when it had no competition. There was barely anything else new on tv/netflix and just superhero blockbusters at the theater. 

Can only speak for myself but right now I'm alternating my annual halloween horror binge and catching the awards contender movies currently being released. I also have a backlog of tv I'm slowly catching up on (Better Call Saul, Broad City, Mindhunter etc). I might watch STs2 in like .... Jan or Feb when I run out of stuff. It seemed like people were more excited to be excited about ST if that makes sense. I haven't heard anyone talk about it since it dropped. Maybe it's too soon?

I said it after the first season though, it's fun but really just like they put a bunch of 80s references into a blender. Classic style over substance problem.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed the first season of Stranger Things. Haven't got around to the second one yet. However, I didn't have high expectations for a sequel (since the brothers also did Wayward Pines, which had a great season then fell off a cliff), but the reviews have all been solid.

Speaking of falling off a cliff after season 1, I keep thinking of how friggin terrible the last season of Bloodline was. I started to wonder if I missed something, or had just lost interest in the series. So I looked at the Rotten Tomatoes scores for each season:

• Season 1 - 80%
  • Season 2 - 47%
  • Season 3 - 29%

...I'd say season 1 and 2 were better than these reviews suggest. But for season 3, even 29% is being generous.

Right now on episode 6 of Mindhunter. Simply fantastic.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-10-29 at 8:28 AM, Monty said:

Was wondering how this turned out for you. I watched episode one and didn’t go any further.

Not going to give it another viewing.

Bloodline started slow but thought it finished fantastic. Really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2. Can't say the same for season 3. 

Just finished watching season 1 of Stranger Things. I liked it, but it would have been easier to enjoy it it was not hyped to all hell. 

It was a good show with bouts of bad writing. Like cheesy, try hard, amateurish, Walking Dead level stuff. Take the Barbara scene, and the symbolism of it coinciding with Nancy and Steve in the bedroom. Like I don't know if they thought they were being subtle, but yikes, lol.

It was shot well, and acted well... mostly. The main group of boys sucked, but that was probably more writing based than their performances, I guess. Was hard to get behind them when they were such losers. They were based on a superficial analysis of Stephen King's buddy stories, and the Goonies.

Nancy, Steve, and company were a lot easier to enjoy. The show excelled more or less when centered around them.

Though I hate "binge watching", this didn't suffer too much from the experience. It was almost like a 6-7 hour movie, more than a show. There wasn't even clean delineation between most episodes. It would have been served better by playing up more mystery elements, dividing them between defined episodes, and airing them weekly. But it was what it was.

I'd go as far as to give it like a 7.5/10, and say that I'm looking forward to watching season 2. But if I hadn't been watching it with a group, I'd probably have to knock it down a grade or two. That was probably a big part of what mitigated the whole binge watching thing from being too bad. It's more solid Water Cooler stuff, than it is just quality programing in and of itself. Needs that social aspect to viewing it.

On 10/31/2017 at 1:10 PM, D-Money said:

I really enjoyed the first season of Stranger Things. Haven't got around to the second one yet. However, I didn't have high expectations for a sequel (since the brothers also did Wayward Pines, which had a great season then fell off a cliff), but the reviews have all been solid.

Speaking of falling off a cliff after season 1, I keep thinking of how friggin terrible the last season of Bloodline was. I started to wonder if I missed something, or had just lost interest in the series. So I looked at the Rotten Tomatoes scores for each season:

• Season 1 - 80%
  • Season 2 - 47%
  • Season 3 - 29%

...I'd say season 1 and 2 were better than these reviews suggest. But for season 3, even 29% is being generous.

Right now on episode 6 of Mindhunter. Simply fantastic.

Reason why Bloodline fell off a cliff (don't read if you plan to watch):

Ben Mendehlson was the only good thing about the show and when they killed of Danny, the killed off any reason for interest