The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate Last TV Show You Saw

Monty

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Watched all 3 seasons. Best characters that carry the show are Alex Borstein and Tony Schalhoub, who play the lead character's manager and father, respectively. 

All in all, a very fun show, showing the struggles of both a female comic and female manager breaking out of societal norms and expectations in the late 50's early 60's. While fairly predictable, that does not detract from the quality of the shows writing, character development, set design, and costumes.

Can watch on Amazon Prime. Definitely worth a viewing.

Rectify 9.5/10 Amazing show. it wont be everyones cup of tea it is very slow but the character development and story was well worth it. One of the best series ive seen

Peaky Blinders. 9/10 Lots action,good story line well worth the watch 

Mindhunters 9/10. Can be slow but its extremely fascinating and always made me want more

Not sure what to watch next :s all 3 i feel are some of the best shows ive watched and will be hard to top

Edited by naslund.is.king

• 2 weeks later...

Cobra Kai

First 2 seasons are on Netflix, with a 3rd coming next year. About halfway through season 1. So good. Touching character story for both Johnny Lawrence character and Danny LaRusso, from Karate Kid, as they are now well into their middle aged, with kids and careers (or lack thereof). Some terrific moments and lines, my favorites just now:

Danny to new student (nerd) at Dojo:

Danny: Nice shirt.

Kid: Thanks.

Danny: Just kidding, it sucks.

Danny to kid smiling: Word of advice, you got sh*t for teeth, don't smile.

As harsh as his character is towards his only student at first, and now the new group of students, its really sweet, as he's teaching new generation of kids who normally get picked on at school for not being popular to stand up for themselves and have confidence. Definite watch.

• Like 1

Boardwalk Empire

Severely disappointed mainly because of the way the final season was done. Absolute cluster&^@#. Felt it really went downhill fast when a main character was killed at end of second season too. 

I connected well with Richard. What a great character.

Buscemi was great as always. I kinda thought Michael Shannon was underutilized.

Vikings

I'm almost to the end of season 5. I'm not a big fan of the story focusing on the sons of Ragnar now. Ivar story arc just not believable. 

Liked it better when Ragnar and Rollo were the focus.

Theme song always stuck in my head.

The Morning Show

Apple TV original drama series, starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon, as well as Stevel Carrell occasionally. Premise? Steve Carrell is a co-host of America's most popular morning show, who is the latest person accused in the MeToo movement.

Watched the first 3 episodes, and it's the cringiest take on it that Hollywood has done (although, I haven't seen Bombshell). It's really quite bad. Aniston has always been a pretty bad actress. Witherspoon, as much as I've never been a fan, has shown that she has talent, if used well. Not the case here, though. The writing is bad, and the acting is bad. It's just bad.

• 3 weeks later...

American Murder The Family Next Door

True crime documentary on Netflix. Only an hour and a half long. Watch if you want to see a true crime story. Avoid if you have a wife and kids of your own and you don't want to cry.

War of the Worlds.  On CBC.

Watched the first episode of this eight part mini-series based on the HG Wells novel a few days ago.

I really enjoyed it.  It's a European production and has a 'serious' tone to it that I like.   If the rest of the series is like the first episode, this could be a treat.

2 shows on Prime:

The Expanse - 8/10

High quality sci-fi. Lots of great characters, side stories, and interesting premises. First season takes a while to find a rhythm, but worth sticking with. I’m 1.5 seasons in, and going by reviews it gets even better from here on in.

Superstore - 6.5/10

As far as sitcoms go, this is pretty good. My wife likes it even more than I do, so it’s our new show. Jokes are hit-and-miss, but there are enough hits to be enjoyable.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The Expanse - 8/10

High quality sci-fi. Lots of great characters, side stories, and interesting premises. First season takes a while to find a rhythm, but worth sticking with. I’m 1.5 seasons in, and going by reviews it gets even better from here on in.

Thanks. I still can't get through the second episode.

Edited by Monty
  • Cheers 1

Goliath

amazon prime

9/10 (four episodes in) 

Billy Bob Thornton plays a lawyer who goes after a big weapons manufacturer, of which the CEO is played by Dwight Yoakam. A lot of mystery/conspiracy to keep you glued to the screen with great acting and writing. I was glued to this after the first ten minutes.  BBT is an underrated actor, and Dwight Yoakam is as good actor as a singer (if you like country). Highly recommend the show. 

5 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

Goliath

amazon prime

9/10 (four episodes in) 

Billy Bob Thornton plays a lawyer who goes after a big weapons manufacturer, of which the CEO is played by Dwight Yoakam. A lot of mystery/conspiracy to keep you glued to the screen with great acting and writing. I was glued to this after the first ten minutes.  BBT is an underrated actor, and Dwight Yoakam is as good actor as a singer (if you like country). Highly recommend the show. 

He's an incredible actor. Billy Bob Thornton's performance in season 1 of Fargo is one of my favourite of all time.

Been meaning to try Goliath. Yoakam too - guess it's sort of a Sling Blade reunion.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vow - Season 1

HBO 9 part documentary, about NXIVM and how it ultimately turned into this underground, gross sex cult. Thankfully, the leader Keith Raniere, just recently received 120 years in prison for a myriad of criminal charges, including 2 counts of sex trafficking.

Have watched the first 3 episodes so far (which was particularly difficult for me to finally watch), and its really good/sad, and accurate. I was already very, very aware with NXIVM, as my wife has a friend from university that had been involved with it at one point in her life, so all this stuff hits particularly close to home. While she was never involved in this branch of NXIVM, she obviously was aware of the women who were, and how they were all made to feel less than.

Upsetting, but worth the watch.

5 hours ago, Monty said:

The Vow - Season 1

HBO 9 part documentary, about NXIVM and how it ultimately turned into this underground, gross sex cult. Thankfully, the leader Keith Raniere, just recently received 120 years in prison for a myriad of criminal charges, including 2 counts of sex trafficking.

Have watched the first 3 episodes so far (which was particularly difficult for me to finally watch), and its really good/sad, and accurate. I was already very, very aware with NXIVM, as my wife has a friend from university that had been involved with it at one point in her life, so all this stuff hits particularly close to home. While she was never involved in this branch of NXIVM, she obviously was aware of the women who were, and how they were all made to feel less than.

Upsetting, but worth the watch.

I watched the nine episode series.   I thought they dragged it out too long.  They could have condensed it into maybe three episodes.   Also, did these people film themselves all day long, everywhere they went? 

That being said, it's an intriguing story, with a salacious streak, about how intelligent people can get sucked into something like this.  The weird thing is that Raniere, in the many clips of him in the series, comes across as a pretty nice guy.  Very deceptive.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, D-Money said:

2 shows on Prime:

The Expanse - 8/10

Superstore - 6.5/10

As far as sitcoms go, this is pretty good. My wife likes it even more than I do, so it’s our new show. Jokes are hit-and-miss, but there are enough hits to be enjoyable.

I’m now 3 seasons in to each show, and think I’ll bump each of the ratings up another half-point...maybe even a full one.

The Expanse goes in bold new directions, and really nails it. The acting and effects also go up a notch. Truly original and epic sci-fi.

And Superstore may not be a classic sitcom, but it’s one of the better series currently running (at least among the family-friendly ones, anyways). Consistently funny.

Edited by D-Money