The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jonah Gadjovich

cut.jpg

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed left wing Jonah Gadjovich to a three-year entry level contract.

Gadjovich, 19, has appeared in eight games for Owen Sound in 2017.18, collecting nine points (5-4-9) and 11 penalty minutes. Over the course of four seasons in the OHL, the 6'2", 209-pound forward has accumulated 116 points (69-47-116) in 194 regular season games and nine points (5-4-9) in 26 playoff games with the Attack. He was named to the OHL Second All-Star Team in 2016.17 and was an OHL Gold Cup Champion in 2013.14.  

On the international stage, Gadjovich was added to Team Canada's roster at the 2017 World Junior Summer Showcase where he collected two points (1-1-2) in three games.  

Gadjovich was drafted by the Canucks in the second round, 55th overall, of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-jonah-gadjovich/c-291983290

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Canucks sign Jonah Gadjovich
1 minute ago, canucks411 said:

All entry level contracts are 2 way. So one would have to assume he's making the jump into the AHL for the time being?

Pretty sure there’s a rule that he can’t play in the AHL because he is in the CHL. Some agreement between the leagues

5 minutes ago, BO_Scorvat said:

Or is he just getting a contract done early for next year 

This would be the reason but I've always wondered, can a team call up someone from the CHL to the main team during the seaspn? Or is it only possible when their CHL season is over?

I imagine this signing is because he is their closest prospect distance wise (like 6 hour drive from Ottawa?) so they can sign him and have him be the 13th forward without burning a year on his deal (unless he plays >9 games) Also, they don’t have to call up anyone from Utica this way

4 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I imagine this signing is because he is their closest prospect distance wise (like 6 hour drive from Ottawa?) so they can sign him and have him be the 13th forward without burning a year on his deal (unless he plays >9 games) Also, they don’t have to call up anyone from Utica this way

Can't bring him over to the Canucks until his team's season is over. I think this is just them rewarding his play in the OHL, he gets a nice signing bonus. Positive reinforcement. ^_^  

20 minutes ago, Toews said:

Can't bring him over to the Canucks until his team's season is over. I think this is just them rewarding his play in the OHL, he gets a nice signing bonus. Positive reinforcement. ^_^  

next up, Kole lind.

28 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He's got him self a pretty hot gf.... assuming the one with the black dress and the high slit is his GF and not his sister lol. 

Obviously I hope every Canuck prospect develops and becomes a star... but this one would be extra sweet considering it's who we got with the Torts pick. We seriously deserve some good karma here. 

Too early to tell but could be a great pickup by uncle Jimbo at 55th overall.

33 minutes ago, Odd. said:

This would be the reason but I've always wondered, can a team call up someone from the CHL to the main team during the seaspn? Or is it only possible when their CHL season is over?

Can only call up players under contract from CHL teams on emergency basis. Has to be approved by the league I believe

4 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

He has to play OHL this year, will need to play NHL or OHL next year, no AHL.

I'm pretty sure he'll be eligible for the AHL next season.

From the agreement: Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year)

He turns 20 on October 12.

Archived