The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Michael Chaput

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ideally they are out of it post deadline and guys like Vanek and Gagner have been moved for a b prospect or pick.

The rebuild is far from over. Canucks need the Stealth Tank going after game 40.

Bringing up Goldobin before the end of the year for 20 games would be a huge boost to his confidence too if not sooner.

Vanek you probably could but Gagner might be hard as he has term on his contract.

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Interesting. Boucher and Goldobin have racked up plenty of points, yet we bring in Chaput. Green must want a center, but I thought Eriksson was injured? 

maybe they plan on sitting him in the press box.  have him as a warm body if someone falters.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

now its meh.  let goldie overflow with confidence before we bring him on up.  

Yup nothing brings confidence to a young player more than being sent down and watching other less skilled players being called up before you:ph34r:

Look I understand why Chaput is brought up, he can sit in the press box and play throughout the bottom on the lineup, I am actually ok with this.  But this whole 'let our young players marinate in the minors while we watch overpaid slow vets go out and produce zero offense' isn't going to work for this fan base or for the prospects in general.  The whole notion of 'you got to earn it' gets lost as soon as they see the leaders of this team play like crap and turn the puck over at will.  The NHL is a young man's game now, either these 22yo + prospect get it or they don't.  Time to take the training wheels off and let them show us what they can do.  Just my opinion.

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Interesting. Boucher and Goldobin have racked up plenty of points, yet we bring in Chaput. Green must want a center, but I thought Eriksson was injured? 

That's exactly right.  Sutter is sick.  If he can't go tonight, they need to plug in a centre who can help on the PK. 

I think that Green wants to put Granlund with the Sedins according to the practice lines and probably prefers Gagner on the wing.  The choices for call up are Molino and Chaput.  Practice lines were (with Chaput slotted):

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baertschi Burmistrov Boeser

Gagner Horvat Vanek

Dorsett Chaput Virtanen

FWIW, Eriksson is officially on IR now

16 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Was hoping for Goldy, At least it's not Megna. :P

Why? So he can become Virtanen's BFF while sitting on the bench or press box? 

How to crush a young player's confidence 101, have him played really good pre-season games and reward him with only 8min TOI while everyone else get 12+.

I was against Green all along, then he kind of won me over for a while, but now the honeymoon is already over.

Argh.

We have plenty of centers: Sedin, Horvat, Granlund, Burmistrov, (maybe) Sutter.

They needed to call up Goldobin to show that if you perform you get rewarded.  We will be talking about stuff like this when he signs in the KHL next season.  “I did everything could, worked hard, scored goals... but they called up other guys instead of me.  I want to play and be given a chance.”

At this point in our development we simply shouldn’t have guts like Megna and Chaput in the organization.  We know their ceiling and there is no upside to giving them minutes.

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

Edler and Sutter down already.

Sounds like a Canuck season lol.

Granlund Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Gagner Dorsett

Burmistrov Chaput Vanek

I'd like to see Virtanen with the Twins. I heard Ferraro once say that he has a lot of Hansen's game: speed, good shot, puck retrieval. Hopefully just in bigger amounts and for more years. I think I also heard that it looks like Granlund may play with the Twins tonight.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

That's exactly right.  Sutter is sick.  If he can't go tonight, they need to plug in a centre who can help on the PK. 

I think that Green wants to put Granlund with the Sedins according to the practice lines and probably prefers Gagner on the wing.  The choices for call up are Molino and Chaput.  Practice lines were (with Chaput slotted):

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Baertschi Burmistrov Boeser

Gagner Horvat Vanek

Dorsett Chaput Virtanen

FWIW, Eriksson is officially on IR now

Really? I haven't seen any games but has Burmistrov really outplayed Horvat?

13 minutes ago, Calvin's Dog said:

I'd like to see Virtanen with the Twins. I heard Ferraro once say that he has a lot of Hansen's game: speed, good shot, puck retrieval. Hopefully just in bigger amounts and for more years. I think I also heard that it looks like Granlund may play with the Twins tonight.

Granny is good with them - cerebral.

I personally think he's earned his way up to the top line, which I'd consider Horvat's line at this point.  I'd like to see Granlund's intelligence and vision paired with Horvat and Boeser - and I think he's a bit stronger on the boards and cycle game than Baertschi is in addition.

Virtanen does have all the right attributes to play with the Sedins - speed, goes to the hard areas / strong on the boards, has improved his play without the puck, can open up space for them and pose a transition threat - and something Granny doesn't have - that right handed release that Virtanen has.  If he could wreak a little havoc and prevent teams from jumping all over the Sedins over 200ft, I think he could find himself with lots of good scoring chances - and he has the ability to finish them.

I don't necessarily expect to see it in the short run - I think Virtanen might have to 'earn it' a bit more - his recent games weren't up to par (although the Sedins haven't been on fire either) - but in due course it could be a good solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived