The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson do we really need him?

Kungfudru

Firstly I'd like to state that I don't normally like starting threads, and that I don't dislike this player for personal reasons, although I just feel like this is turning out to be one of the worst signings the Canucks have ever made. The contract is a ludicrous 6 year, 36 million dollar anchor with an annual rate of 6 million against the cap. He's not performing anything like he was/is expected too either. Not sure what Jim was thinking when he signed this guy. He's starting to teeter past his prime, and why sign him for 6 years? I understand he had a fantastic 30 goal season, but isn't this starting to remind any of you of the David Clarkson deal? Clarkson came off a very good season and Nonis signed him to a ridiculous contract also. 2 years, 3, the most would've been sufficient for his services, and if the Eriksson's party wasn't on board with that then let him walk. I think this was more of a knee jerk reaction move from JB to get some fans in the seats, but so far it's been pretty ugly. I'd much rather not have Loui take up a roster spot and would much rather have a younger prospect play in his position instead. I really hope when he gets back from his current injury that he lights it up, or at least becomes more serviceable in the line up than he currently is. Just curious to hear some of the other posters thoughts on this topic. 

21 minutes ago, Odd. said:

He he hasn't been great, but I can't believe some of the posters here actually are cheering that he's injured for a quite awhile and not just a day-to-day.

That's going too far. I am not exactly broken up about losing him because it means more ice time for Jake and Brock.

Just now, Toews said:

That's going too far. I am not exactly broken up about losing him because it means more ice time for Jake and Brock.

Me neither, but certainly you never wish for someone to be injured or be injured longer. It's just disgusting

Nice. Just like Burr did after that epic failure of a thread "Burrows, do we really need him?", Eriksson will now go on to prove that he is needed on this team.

It's not like we are paying him this money. And for the next 4 years after this one, I don't know if there is anyone that is going to be commending large cap space.

Juolevi will be on an entry level contract, so is Pettersson for three seasons after the next one. Whoever we draft in 2018 will be in the same boat. Only player that will be due for some significant raise is Boeser? Sedins 14 mil will come off the books so that's fine. 

I agree that he is sucking bad right now but I wouldn't worry about it.

Besides, JB had to do something. If he does nothing and the team sucks like the Avs, he gets fired for doing nothing on the job. 

Straight up NO.

Burrows imo was a different player who actually worked hard every night, Eriksson on the other hand doesn't work that hard and he just doesn't have that offensive game anymore, as much as I like Benning and said this last year this is his worst signing and hopefully he learned from it.

Just realized the OP spelled Ericksson wrong :o

Archived