The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think Bo compliments players like Baer or Boeser, who work well off a cycle game. He just isn't the right center for them.

If Burm's chemistry with Boes/Baer tells us anything it is that Pettersson can probably be that guy for them.

Is it time for Bo and Virt?

41 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

yeah something like that. I also liked Gagner with the Sedins when they were together last night for nearly half of the game. 

My line up:

Baertschi/Burmistrov/Boeser

Sedin/Sedin/Gagner

Virtanen/Horvat/Vanek

Granlund/Sutter/Dorsett

The -don't call it a trap- looked very clean from the Canucks. I don't think the Canucks picked off so many passes through the neutral zone the entire duration of Willie's tenure as they have so far this year. Forced Ottawa to try to throw pucks to certain areas of the ice that looked open, and the gap control by the D was textbook. I thought AV was guest-coaching.

Still a young team that's missing a couple key pieces before they're playoff contenders, but if they can have 20-25 games where they can execute like they did last night there will be enough games worth watching to get through a tough season.

And just like in preseason, the Canucks look like a faster transition team without Edler eating up big minutes. We need 6 D that can move their feet.    

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think Bo compliments players like Baer or Boeser, who work well off a cycle game. He just isn't the right center for them.

If Burm's chemistry with Boes/Baer tells us anything it is that Pettersson can probably be that guy for them.

I agree, Bo plays similar to Kes,  and Brock and Baer need more of a pass first player working with them

5 hours ago, mll said:

Horvat played with Gagner and Vanek.  Gagner alternated with Granlund on the Sedins wing mid-way through the 2nd onwards (as Granlund was also playing on the Sutter line) but he still took his regular shifts on the Horvat-Vanek line.  

its an example of what Green said earlier in the year about Gagner being used up and down the lineup. Initially i thought this would mean on set lines but apparently its in-game too, but whatever works works. It would be nice if we could actually present as a challenge on the road this year. 

5 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

Anyone have any specific notes on Pouliot, Gagner, Nilsson and Sutter for this game? Would appreciate any remarks :)

Gagner was invisible.

Sutter had an up and down night. Pumped one off the crossbar. Made some good plays on his own end, specifically one to get the puck out on the pkin the third. Also had some bad moments, falling on his ass on another pk leading to a scoring chance.

Pouliot was solid. Nothing super flashy but moved the puck up ice well. Very mobile. Had a couple neutral zone turnovers but nothing terrible. 

Nilsson is what we wanted from markstrom

6 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

Anyone have any specific notes on Pouliot, Gagner, Nilsson and Sutter for this game? Would appreciate any remarks :)

Pouliot looked fast, played well with Stecher and even got a little chippy. Cross-checked a sens player between whistles, unsure of who exactly. I liked his game tho.

Gagner got put with the Sedins half way through the game and they looked good together! Finally finding some chemistry on this team.

Nilsson = amazing. Had a little trouble with rebounds early on but he settled down and held the fort.

I didn't really notice Sutter much, which means he probably played well lol.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

yeah something like that. I also liked Gagner with the Sedins when they were together last night for nearly half of the game. 

My line up:

Baertschi/Burmistrov/Boeser

Sedin/Sedin/Gagner

Virtanen/Horvat/Vanek

Granlund/Sutter/Dorsett

I think Gagner will adapt to them. The points will come folks.

30 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I think Burmistrov has a chance to realize his potential of being a former top 10 pick here in Vancouver.  He's shown flashes of what he can do and I hope he keeps it up.  The Baertschi-Burmistrov-Boeser line looked dangerous and he was a big part of it.

E.Kane-Burmy-Boeser would be fun. I know, I'm getting way ahead of myself. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

E.Kane-Burmy-Boeser would be fun. I know, I'm getting way ahead of myself. 

That line was dangerous because of how they shared the puck - it was a lot of quick give-and-go's.  Kane is a much better fit with Horvat.

Just now, mll said:

That line was dangerous because of how they shared the puck - it was a lot of quick give-and-go's.  Kane is a much better fit with Horvat.

that works too. I'm really pleasantly surprised at Burmy though. I don't know the specifics of why things went off the rails for him in Winnipeg but so far so good for us anyway. 

2 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

I posted somewhere yesterday I'd love to see a Granlund, Horvat, Virtanen line.

Granlund can still perform a 'play making' role similar to Baer for that line but adds a lot more grit, puck hounding, two way play and generally is just far more complimentary to Horvat's North-South, speed/grit style of play (which Virtanen also compliments).

That does leave a question of who to play with the Sedins (Vanek vs Gagner) and who to play on the '4th' line as neither of those two is a particularly good fit in a checking role... though I'd probably lean to Vanek with the twins, Gagner with Sutter/Dors. 

Sedin, Sedin, Vanek (slow...but whatever)

Granlund, Horvat, Virtanen

Baer, Burmi, Boeser 

Gagner, Sutter, Dorsett

Want us to ice this line up next game:

Sedin-Sedin-Gagner/Granlund

Vanek-Horvat-Virtanen 

Baerstchi-Burmistrov-Boeser

Granlund/Gagner-Sutter-Dorsett

Also was really impressed with Gudbranson, nice to see something from him because after last year I didnt really believe in him.

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Vanek-Horvat-Virtanen 

Also was really impressed with Gudbranson, nice to see something from him because after last year I didnt really believe in him.

Jake has looked good hasn't he. I hope Green is seeing the same thing I am. His energy hasn't trailed off in games. He was a big player in the goal that barely got called off too. Would have had an assist. 

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Vanek-Horvat-Virtanen 

I really think Guddy's improved play is a result of just being more comfortable in a new place.  I was a bit unsure how he would do with a new coach with new systems coming in, but maybe last year was really impacted by his injury (the most obvious thing) but also just plain ol' being in a new city. 

Guddy's personality seems to be one of that is super competitive and which doesn't accept losing.  IMHO, that seems to gel well with Green who seems like a straightforward, tell it like it is coach that communicates with his players.

It's still a long season ahead but Guddy has been a bright spot.

I also think Jake and Bo might be a good match.  Putting Vanek with them is a good idea.

Archived