The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Meh, other than perhaps Granlund, I don't see any of that top group being around for the next core so I guess I just don't see it as a real problem long term. They'll all be moved, the 'when' or in what order doesn't particularly concern me.

Petterson and Gaudette, assuming they're both signed and in North America, should be starting in Utica next year IMO. Let them adjust and get time as injury call ups and after the TDL. Dahlen could probably use one more season of the same.

I've already stated numerous times I think/would like Baer moved/packaged this TDL/summer and his raise $ spent on Kane, his spot given to Goldobin.

But that's my point, are we moving Sven because we think the return can fetch something or simply because we don't have a roster spot for him.  That's why when it comes to Gagner vs Baertschi, i'll keep Sven. I'd much rather move Gagner's cap for Kane signing.  Neither gagner or Sven will have much value in a trade.   

Next year, if the twins retire and we sign kane, we have two center spots and three winger spots all between, and gagner doesn't have the defensive side of game to be a center.

Burmistrov, Gaunce,Gaudette, UFA

Baertschi, Goldy, Gagner, Eriksson, Dahlen, Pettersson,Rodin, Gadj, Lind, UFA

Kane Horvat, Granlund

_____, _____, Boeser 

Virtanen, _____, _____,

_____, Sutter Dorsett

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

are we moving Sven because we think the return can fetch something

That's my opinion. I hope he has a decent year alongside Boeser and with his low cap hit, RFA status etc could fetch a decent return at the TDL to a contender as quality young scoring depth who even if they can't/don't re-sign, would still have good trade value to them in the summer as an RFA. That should be worth pretty decent value. Even more if we package him with say one of Hutton or Edler (if he'd waive). If we retain salary on Edler, we'd be looking at an even bigger return! :towel:

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

gagner doesn't have the defensive side of game to be a center.

Theoretically, I'd give that (Goldobin, Gagner, Boeser) line the sheltered, offensive/PP minutes the Sedins have been getting. The Sutter line would continue to get the lion's share of matchup/dzone/PK minutes and the other two lines (Kane, Horvat, Granlund and Eriksson, Burmistrov?, Virtanen) are both capable in all three zones.

26 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Don't waste your breath with captainhorvat, every thread it's a slam against Eriksson.  I wonder, if Bo doesn't live up to his contract, if he'll be as hard on him or not.  But I hope that every canuck does well, especially Bo.  It's better being positive then negative.  There's too much negativity in the world.  Hockey is suppose to be for entertainment.   

How can you be positive when Eriksson was paid 36 mill to help a team score 20-30 goals and now have to settle for 10-15, if that? If he was popping 20-30 goals then yes our team would be entertaining to watch but at this point should we be entertained by his awesome defensive play or his amazing penalty killing skills? That some of these people on the board have a love affair with. At the moment watching Eriksson play is like watching paint dry!

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

How can you be positive when Eriksson was paid 36 mill to help a team score 20-30 goals and now have to settle for 10-15, if that? If he was popping 20-30 goals then yes our team would be entertaining to watch but at this point should we be entertained by his awesome defensive play or his amazing penalty killing skills? That some of these people on the board have a love affair with. At the moment watching Eriksson play is like watching paint dry!

Eriksson has been mismanaged last year.  You can't score 20-30 goals playing on the 3rd or 4th line with non-offensive minded players.  Willie D played him with the Sedins for only like 10 games last year.  If he played all season with the Sedins' I'm pretty sure he'd have scored 20 goals and been productive like Granlund.  Instead, because he was a good 2-way player, they played him as a checker.  I'm not happy with how Eriksson produced, but being all negative about it and making dumb remarks about him playing his best game after he gets injured his first shift is not being positive or supportive of the team.  And frankly I don't find it entertaining to do this.  I watch hockey because it's a sport that gives me entertainment.

8 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Eriksson has been mismanaged last year.  You can't score 20-30 goals playing on the 3rd or 4th line with non-offensive minded players.  Willie D played him with the Sedins for only like 10 games last year.  If he played all season with the Sedins' I'm pretty sure he'd have scored 20 goals and been productive like Granlund.  Instead, because he was a good 2-way player, they played him as a checker.  I'm not happy with how Eriksson produced, but being all negative about it and making dumb remarks about him playing his best game after he gets injured his first shift is not being positive or supportive of the team.  And frankly I don't find it entertaining to do this.  I watch hockey because it's a sport that gives me entertainment.

Eriksson played his way down the lineup last year.  The poor play and lack of scoring led to line demotions, not the other way around.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yup. Pretty much agree with all of this. I have horvats  "meh" slightly above the twins "lol". Horvat won a boat load of faceoffs. I would put his play more average and the twins bad. 

Also stretcher had a quietly good game in his own end. He was beating forwards to the puck and quickly transitioning to the rush. I don't normally check advanced stats nor do I care about them but I'm willing to bet his corsi was very good last night. I don't know what greens problem with him is. 

I agree with the "eye test" evaluation on Stetcher, was noticably getting the puck up ice and doing a good job keeping it there and getting back when needed.  Also threw his body around it Bieksa fashion for an undersized dude.   Guddy also isn't an advanced stats guy, but he's the only true wrecking ball in the back end and personally I don't care how his Corsi is, guys flinch when they see him coming and he bleeds intangibles.  

Nice to see the win, Nilsson gets his first game and does something Markstrom had never done in getting the shut out.  Shows what a difference maker good goaltending is, cross our fingers that it's only the start, he really did have an very good save percentage last year, he's so big AND athletic that he has a little Rinne in him....

it's 

Vancouver and it's been a while since we had a goaltending situation....hope he stones guys for another five or six games to heat things up.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's my opinion. I hope he has a decent year alongside Boeser and with his low cap hit, RFA status etc could fetch a decent return at the TDL to a contender as quality young scoring depth who even if they can't/don't re-sign, would still have good trade value to them in the summer as an RFA. That should be worth pretty decent value.

I think you're hoping. As much as I like Sven, players who are 25+, offensive focused and yet to crack 50 points don't hold much value in a trade, we might be able to get a 2nd round pick back but i'd be skeptical of even that.

I'm also not sure that we have an actual replacement for him. If Goldy gets some NHL games and shows improvement maybe, but I'd still rather keep Sven over Gagner. 

Theoretically, I'd give that (Goldobin, Gagner, Boeser) line the sheltered, offensive/PP minutes the Sedins have been getting. The Sutter line would continue to get the lion's share of matchup/dzone/PK minutes and the other two lines (Kane, Horvat, Granlund and Eriksson, Burmistrov?, Virtanen) are both capable in all three zones.

Gagner is not a center, the guy can't cover a man in his own zone if his life depended on it.  This year in the few faceoff's he's took if the first year in his 11 year career that he's over 48%.  He has not fit with this team, he was a one year stop gap that got a 3 year term. 

Kane Horvat Goldy

Baertschi Burmistrov Boeser 

Granlund Gaudette, Eriksson

Virtanen Sutter Dorsett

Gaunce

Goodbye Gagner. 

I hate all this "he was mismanaged he played on the bottom 6" verbal diarrhea that comes out of peoples mouth, trying to support as to why he didnt produce. Hes taking 8mill a year for the first 2 seasons. For 8mill you better produce no matter with who, what or where your playing and im sure most fans would agree with that.

If we should always be supportive and positive when its not warranted then maybe we should just ice the carebears as our hockey team.

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you're hoping. As much as I like Sven, players who are 25+, offensive focused and yet to crack 50 points don't hold much value in a trade, we might be able to get a 2nd round pick back but i'd be skeptical of even that.

I'm also not sure that we have an actual replacement for him. If Goldy gets some NHL games and shows improvement maybe, but I'd still rather keep Sven over Gagner. 

Gagner is not a center, the guy can't cover a man in his own zone if his life depended on it.  This year in the few faceoff's he's took if the first year in his 11 year career that he's over 48%.  He has not fit with this team, he was a one year stop gap that got a 3 year term. 

Kane Horvat Goldy

Virtanen Sutter Dorsett

Gaunce

Goodbye Gagner. 

I'm not saying we'd get a top 10 pick for Baer, but assuming he has a decent year and looks to be a good, depth 40+ pace guy and an RFA, particularly packaged with one of our left D, I'd say he has decent value. And don't think of it as Baer for Gagner, think of it as Baer for Kane and you'll be much happier :lol:

Speaking of hoping...you want Gaudette to step right in to a 3rd line role...mmmkay :lol: But yeah, certainly if one of Gaudette etc makes the team, we can look at moving Gagner to W. You're dreaming if you think he's getting traded IMO. I'd swap Granlund and Goldy in your lineup too, especially since you just argued you're not sure he should even make the team lol 

Your irrational Gagner hate has already been noted and filed from previous discussions.

filed-for-future-reference.jpg

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Kane Horvat Goldy

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Goodbye Gagner. 

That's a nice looking lineup coming along.  I will be watching what Dahlen does in Europe - see if he can achieve a high level without the help from Pettersson.  He might be challenging Goldy next season. He might be a great playmaker for Horvat and Kane.

Really like that 3rd line...can check and score.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not saying we'd get a top 10 pick for Baer, but assuming he has a decent year and looks to be a good, depth 40+ pace guy and an RFA, particularly packaged with one of our left D, I'd say he has decent value. And don't think of it as Baer for Gagner, think of it as Baer for Kane and you'll be much happier

But it's not.  Kane brings a different skill set and really has nothing to do with this convo, Baertschi has nothing to do with Kane being on this roster.  It really is Sven vs Gagner, two 40 point play making wingers making close to the same salary, (sven will likely be closer to 2.5), despite Sven being more versatile.

Speaking of hoping...you want Gaudette to step right in to a 3rd line role...mmmkay :lol: But yeah, certainly if one of Gaudette etc makes the team, we can look at moving Gagner to W. You're dreaming if you think he's getting traded IMO.

Traded or dumped.  doesn't matter to me, I didn't think we needed him this year and I sure don't think we need him next year, he doesn't bring anything to this roster.  JB hoped he could fix our PP unit with the twins but like i said, twins need someone that can shoot, not another pass first player, and like I predicted 3 months ago....

On 7/3/2017 at 3:48 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Burrows succeeded because he an extremely hard worker that go into the tough spots, not gagner's strength.

A point shot?  who Edler? Stecher? This teams PP needs a pmd, more than they needed another gagner, it's like people forget what was wrong with the PP unit. 2 full minutes of passing with no shot..... 

On 7/5/2017 at 10:18 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I've already said this, but gagner isn't barely going to have an effect on our PP, the really benefit is when they figure out how to effectively use brocks shot. 

Do you remember why you hated it?... Because we played keep away for the full two minutes and never managed to get a single shot.

We are 3 for 25 on the PP and two of those goals were from the other unit.   

We will get a pretty good gauge on gaudette at the end of this year when his NCAA year is over.  He's 5 months older than brock and we have a history of NCAA players making our roster the following year (hutton, Stecher, brock).  If he doesn't look ready there will be plenty of 3rd line UFA stop gaps that we could sign for cheap.... and for....1 year. 

I'd swap Granlund and Goldy in your lineup too, especially since you just argued you're not sure he should even make the team lol 

Goldy is pure offensive, he has the skill to play top line in a scoring role setting up a player like Kane. If there was a player to be sheltered in a ozone role playing lots of pp minutes it goldy.  I'd shelter goldy before i'd do it again with Gagner

Your irrational Gagner hate has already been noted and filed from previous discussions.

Yeah it's funny how someone could get ridiculed over a prediction that was DEAD ON.   I wonder how many people who argued with me about that signing have already changed their tune and agree with me.  

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Mismanaged? The guy played his way from top line to bottom, how is that Mismanaged? Scored 20 goals if he was on their line all season? Maybe, but the Sedins would have had even lower point totals... Why do you think the team owes him as spot with the Sedins? He sure as hell hasn't earned his way on that line. I don't know what you watched last year, but you must have spent every Eriksson shift with your eyes closed, ears plugged and humming so you didn't have to see reality - a slow, soft, disinterested perimeter player with no confidence or vision. Wake up.

A great game last night !!!

Nilsson was wonderful. The coach has no reason to sit him in next game.

All 6 D were solid.

Coach made a good mixture of 4 liners.

The BBB line replaced Bo by Burm was surprised but the out coming was effective.

Bo was average. I trust him, in near future, will work better even with Vanek and Dorsett.

Thanks Dorsett, keep it.

There is very difficult to find a person working well with Sedins.  Any suggestion?

46 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But it's not.  Kane brings a different skill set and really has nothing to do with this convo, Baertschi has nothing to do with Kane being on this roster.  It really is Sven vs Gagner, two 40 point play making wingers making close to the same salary, (sven will likely be closer to 2.5), despite Sven being more versatile.

Traded or dumped.  doesn't matter to me, I didn't think we needed him this year and I sure don't think we need him next year, he doesn't bring anything to this roster.  JB hoped he could fix our PP unit with the twins but like i said, twins need someone that can shoot, not another pass first player, and like I predicted 3 months ago....

We are 3 for 25 on the PP and two of those goals were from the other unit.   

We will get a pretty good gauge on gaudette at the end of this year when his NCAA year is over.  He's 5 months older than brock and we have a history of NCAA players making our roster the following year (hutton, Stecher, brock).  If he doesn't look ready there will be plenty of 3rd line UFA stop gaps that we could sign for cheap.... and for....1 year. 

Goldy is pure offensive, he has the skill to play top line in a scoring role setting up a player like Kane. If there was a player to be sheltered in a ozone role playing lots of pp minutes it goldy.  I'd shelter goldy before i'd do it again with Gagner

Yeah it's funny how someone could get ridiculed over a prediction that was DEAD ON.   I wonder how many people who argued with me about that signing have already changed their tune and agree with me.  

I'd say if anything it's Granlund/Goldobin/Dahlen vs Sven if you want to take that angle. We've already got replacements for Sven there and we lack what Kane brings which is why I'd prefer to swap Kane for Baer on Horvat's wing. And Sven's more versatile than Gagner? :blink:

Gagner wasn't brought in to fix the PP with the twins IMO. Be another tool on the PP in general? Sure. Veteran top 9 depth for not re-signing the twins next year? Yup. C/W depth until more kids are ready in the next couple years? Yup. Trade asset in a couple years? Yup.

And couldn't agree more on the PMD. Our PP isn't ever going to be good until we get one. Maybe Pouliot becomes that guy, maybe we get Dahlin but we're likely to be around the bottom 3rd of the league for PP until we get one regardless of who else is out there on the ice.

If you listened to that interview I posted, you'd hear that Goldy's actually learning how to play hockey! :towel:They've even got him doing some PK in his development! But yeah, I'd have him with Gagner and Boeser, all sheltered, ozone starts and PP time that we've been giving the twins. 

Nope, still sign Gagner.

38 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Mismanaged? The guy played his way from top line to bottom, how is that Mismanaged? Scored 20 goals if he was on their line all season? Maybe, but the Sedins would have had even lower point totals... Why do you think the team owes him as spot with the Sedins? He sure as hell hasn't earned his way on that line. I don't know what you watched last year, but you must have spent every Eriksson shift with your eyes closed, ears plugged and humming so you didn't have to see reality - a slow, soft, disinterested perimeter player with no confidence or vision. Wake up.

Actually I watched quite a bit of him, I had him in my hockey pool (UGH!!!) I had to trade him out since he wasn't getting deployed with better linemates, and icetime.  You're telling me guys like Chaput and Megna were better than Eriksson?? Are you sure I'm the one not watching games last year??

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Actually I watched quite a bit of him, I had him in my hockey pool (UGH!!!) I had to trade him out since he wasn't getting deployed with better linemates, and icetime.  You're telling me guys like Chaput and Megna were better than Eriksson?? Are you sure I'm the one not watching games last year??

Apparently the guys who get paid lots of money to make those decisions thought so - that should tell you something about Erikssons play. I doubt anyone's plan at the start of the season was to demote a 6 million dollar player to the bottom 6, but Erikssons play dictated that, not his deployment which was VERY generous until he gave them no choice. He's a terrible fit with the Sedins period.

Archived