The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators

-Vintage Canuck-

Why was Jake benched?

I had taped the game in case I got interrupted midway, so rewound towards beginning of 3rd period to check what I thought I had seen. We were hemmed in our own end and 3 times D rung it round behind our net and Jake mishandled at the.blue line and couln't get it out.

I think that's when Green lost confidence in him.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Killer B's getting it done tonight.

Honestly not a line combo I would have ever drawn up, but it works. Credit to Green for recognizing Burmistrovs underrated game.

And it's hard not to like a guy with a constant smile on his face.

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Why was Jake benched?

I had taped the game in case I got interrupted midway, so rewound towards beginning of 3rd period to check what I thought I had seen. We were hemmed in our own end and 3 times D rung it round behind our net and Jake mishandled at the.blue line and couln't get it out.

Jake has a tendency to mess with the puck right at the blue line. Seems like such a basic concept to get the line before you try to dangle to try a pass accross the middle so I can understand how it can be maddening when a player makes that mistake over and over 

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Missed the game... how did my boy Jake do tonight??

He was good when he played but in the third, barely played as before. I thought Jake has been good at breaking up plays in all three zones. 

Should give him at least 12-13 minutes a night if he is to have any shot at becoming a top 6 contributor down the road. The current deployment just solidifies his role as a 4th line player. I don't like this lack of trust.

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Why was Jake benched?

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Missed the game... how did my boy Jake do tonight??

See Googlie's post above.

Jake did play very well in the first two periods though.

Executed the game plan well tonight. Thought Nilsson was steady, couple rebounds he could clean up, but very solid. Pouliot I thought had a few good shifts, obviously the BBB line was great, I thought Bo was "average" like the sedins getting 13 minutes. Granny and bear had good games and in my opinion jake was effective until one shift when he struggled to get the puck out multiple times. Still don't like seeing him get stapled to the bench after something like that, but that seems to be the way green operates in the third. 

In my opinion tonight is how the Canucks need to use the Sedins. Support role with less minutes and a younger player on their line.  Keeps them sharper, fresher and they don’t have to match against the top opposing line. 

They also were the second pp unit 

Glad Green reads my posts 

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Why was Jake benched?

There was actually a play in the first period where JV was supposed to be on the boards as the dman rang the puck around, but he got puck watching and drifted away from the boards, which allowed the Sens to keep the zone. It is good to emphasize the details, so in retrospect I don't mind what Green was doing. 

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

In my opinion tonight is how the Canucks need to use the Sedins. Support role with less minutes and a younger player on their line.  Keeps them sharper, fresher and they don’t have to match against the top opposing line. 

They also were the second pp unit 

Glad Green reads my posts 

Yup, finally Coach Green has been reading my posts and agreed to put Sven on PP1

No problem Travis , call on my cell if you want some help on the PK .  Don't call me after 9 PM though as i am mixed bowling league most week nights. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup, finally Coach Green has been reading my posts and agreed to put Sven on PP1

No problem Travis , call on my cell if you want some help on the PK .  Don't call me after 9 PM though as i am mixed bowling league most week nights. 

Someone's been sucking on something a bit too much 

27 minutes ago, khay said:

Good game. Nilsson was great.

Baertschi-Burmistrov-Boeser was our first line.

I think Bo was OK again tonight. Nothing much generated. Bo's got skill and can generate offence for himself but ultimately, for Bo to join the elite centers of the NHL and to run his own scoring line, he needs to make the players around him better. That'll be the focal point of this season, whether Bo can generate offence for teammates as well as for himself.

Its the ol' Kesler progression I think. Kesler never made that extra step in his game where he made his linemates better, but could generate enough for himself to become an elite 2nd line center in this league. The same could be said of Horvat in his future progress, in that he either develops that side of his game and has the potential to carry a 1st line, or he could top out as a 2nd line center. Whatever he becomes though I am sure it will be still be good, as in my opinion, Kesler was one of our key core guys and I have faith that we can develop another 1st line center - hopefully Pettersson. 

Archived