The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

14 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

I'm less concerned about his chance at the Calder and more concerned about his long term development. I don't think the two games would make a difference though.

I don't think we need to be concerned about his long term. 

He's a smart kid and is gifted at hockey. After he scored his PP goal tonight he was drawing the PP for Brown... Hopeful and troubling at the same time.

With a smart kid like Brock, I think you play him til he finds the "wall".

Will the two games matter for the Calder? No.

The most impressive rookie wins the Calder. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

I'd understand that angle if we were 50 games in, not 5 games in.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's quite possible Green made a mistake in sitting him to start the season.

The team won the 1st game and got a point in the 2nd. Green isn't interested in the Calder trophy as nice as that would be for Boeser, 

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So after sitting the first 2 games of the season, Brock Boeser has gotten 4 points (2G, 2A) in the next 3 games, while playing 16 minutes a game.

This years Calder trophy race for Rookie of the Year, is shaping up to be a close one. There are no Laine/Matthews type players in the rookie class, who are gonna run away with the rookie scoring lead (or so it seems). It is unreasonable to assume Will Butcher will continue his point pace. So 2 games may make the difference in leading the rookie class in goal/point scoring. 

My question: Do you think Boeser sitting the 2 games will have an impact on his overall Calder chances, and did Green make the right choice in sitting Boeser?

Discuss.

1231.PNG

The players from the list who can find consistency and still perform when they play teams a second time and stay healthy, will still be on the list after 60 games.  It takes talent and a lot of luck to win any trophy in the NHL.  Ice time and to be used in situations like the power play certainly help too.  They have to play for the right kind of a team. 

Good luck to Brock.

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

I'm less concerned about his chance at the Calder and more concerned about his long term development. I don't think the two games would make a difference though.

My bet is he'd trade his team making the playoffs vs having an individual award. Its great to have someone in the conversation but so much of this award comes down to luck and things out of your individual control like line mates. 

32 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

The team won the 1st game and got a point in the 2nd. Green isn't interested in the Calder trophy as nice as that would be for Boeser, 

Considering the fact that Boeser's been our best offensive player in the games he's played, the team probably would have won regardless... most likely by a bigger margin.

It is intriguing for sure to follow the race for the Calder Trophy. I would be extremely happy for him if he wins it, but wouldn't be disappointed either. What I'm more interested to see is his progression from last season all the way to the final game of this season. Skating is one aspect of his game that had many concerned and still are. Currently, his goal scoring and producing on the scoresheet is doing the talking. He has impressed me with his willingness to shoot and put up points, which the Canucks were sorely missing for most of the last year.

Let's go, BEH-suhr!

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It is intriguing for sure to follow the race for the Calder Trophy. I would be extremely happy for him if he wins it, but wouldn't be disappointed either. What I'm more interested to see is his progression from last season all the way to the final game of this season. Skating is one aspect of his game that had many concerned and still are. Currently, his goal scoring and producing on the scoresheet is doing the talking. He has impressed me with his willingness to shoot and put up points, which the Canucks were sorely missing for most of the last year.

Let's go, BEH-suhr!

It is the first time in recent years that the top picks of the draft aren't the agreed upon favourites. If you ignore 2015-16 (McDavid got injured), you'd have to go back to 2009-10 for the last time a top pick didn't win the Calder. That isn't to say Hischier/Patrick won't win this year, but it makes the race more interesting when guys like Butcher/Boeser/Bratt/Frk/Vrana/Debrusk are in the race because the predictions are more widespread. Should be a fun season for watching rookies!  

4 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

It is the first time in recent years that the top picks of the draft aren't the agreed upon favourites. If you ignore 2015-16 (McDavid got injured), you'd have to go back to 2009-10 for the last time a top pick didn't win the Calder. That isn't to say Hischier/Patrick won't win this year, but it makes the race more interesting when guys like Butcher/Boeser/Bratt/Frk/Vrana/Debrusk are in the race because the predictions are more widespread. Should be a fun season for watching rookies!  

Yeah. Even prior to the draft this year, there wasn't a general consensus of what the top five was going to look like. Add in players that were selected in the later rounds of previous drafts and the race for the Calder Trophy gets more interesting.

Archived