The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

What would happen if Boeser makes another miraculous recovery and the Islanders play Boston? Marchand takes out Barzal and Barzal is out for the season? Then again, Marchand is the dirtiest player in hockey and we don't want to see the game's stars get hurt - including rival star players.

On 2/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, DeNiro said:

I can't believe the Oilers essentially gave Barzal, Eberle, and Beauvillier to NYI for Strome and Reinhart.

Barzal would have more points on the Oilers than anyone not named mcdavid, and Eberle would be third in scoring behind mcdavid and Draisaitl.

Just a brutal couple of trades.

Wasn't Barzal drafted #16 in 2015 by NYI

2 hours ago, Inge34 said:

Wasn't Barzal drafted #16 in 2015 by NYI

Reinhart was acquired on draft day by Edmonton for picks #16 and #33.  The Islanders then sent #33 and #72nd to Tampa to get #28 and picked Beauvilliers.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Reinhart was acquired on draft day by Edmonton for picks #16 and #33.  The Islanders then sent #33 and #72nd to Tampa to get #28 and picked Beauvilliers.

After Reinhart had already regressed hard for two years. Still can’t believe Barzal made it through 3 Boston picks. Such a bad trade I couldn’t believe it happened. How Chia still has a job is beyond me. It wasn’t a trade that happened before the draft started either this was during Edmonton’s pick. Top 10 ranked Barzal was there at 16 and that’s why NYI wanted the trade.

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

After Reinhart had already regressed hard for two years. Still can’t believe Barzal made it through 3 Boston picks. Such a bad trade I couldn’t believe it happened. How Chia still has a job is beyond me. It wasn’t a trade that happened before the draft started either this was during Edmonton’s pick. Top 10 ranked Barzal was there at 16 and that’s why NYI wanted the trade.

The oilers had stated that they weren’t even considering Barzal either. If they didn’t trade the pick they were taking Svechnikov. 

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Please full recovery and no lingering back issues. Rest up Brock there’s no speed limit to recovery.

And don’t worry about being the All star MVP next year either. Another Canuck will hopefully be there to defend the title. 

Brock will be back April 3rd against Vegas . I'm guna  to out on a limb here . Stretcher was quoted saying he was " pretty frustrated" he didn't hit 30 , and green said it's more about "How he feels " then anything .  

Just for fun, read up in his injury , and it actually says too much rest is bad for it . Obviously rest right now is important , but wouldn't be surprised to see him back for the last week at all. 

5 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Brock will be back April 3rd against Vegas . I'm guna  to out on a limb here . Stretcher was quoted saying he was " pretty frustrated" he didn't hit 30 , and green said it's more about "How he feels " then anything .  

Just for fun, read up in his injury , and it actually says too much rest is bad for it . Obviously rest right now is important , but wouldn't be surprised to see him back for the last week at all. 

Most players at this point getting an injury with the way this season is going would just take the rest of the season off to get 100% like Baertschi and Eriksson. For some reason instead of saying Boeser is out for the season, they announced 4-6 weeks. Sounds like he is hoping for a quick recovery and get that shot at getting 30.

After watching the game vs the Isles, even before the injury, I had no doubt Barzal was winning the Calder. We can claim he is getting secondary assists all we want, but he wasn't just someone riding someone's coattails, he was driving the play. His secondary assists in the game weren't lucky bounces, he made solid passes. It helps to have better finishers on the team, but you can tell Boeser was worn out to this point while Barzal was still going strong.

• 4 weeks later...

While the race is likely over simply due to the sheer total points of MB and the fact he plays to more voters than BB does, an interesting evaluation was pointed out to me from someone who actually thinks some votes are thinking the following way.

MB has played in all 79 games his team has played and put up 20 goals and 79 points.   His GPG rate is 0.25.   His team has 253 goals.   He has scored 7.9% of them and had points on 31% of NYI's goals.

BB played in 62 games with 29 goals and 55 points.   His GPG rate was 0.47.   His team, in the games he played, scored 170 goals in the games he played in.   He scored 17.1% of his teams goals and had points on 32.4% of Vancouver's goals.

Playing on a team that scores more IS considered though not by all who may be simply looking at stats.   Thing is, while MB will win and is a deserved winner, the statistics point to an equally impressive and perhaps even more impactful (to his team) rookie season by Vancouver's Brock Boeser.

Archived