The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

Everybody will hit a wall once in a while, especially for best rookie player.  Selanne scored 76 goals but in playoffs, he hit a wall against the Canucks despite a ppg in the series.  The Canucks was not known for its defence.  Sometimes it's good to slow down a notch or two during  dog days of the season.   A timely break will do wonder for any rookies in the league.  Consecutive games play is overrated, imo.   In order for this to work, it is best to notify their own players of a planned break ahead of the schedule so that rookies will not be discouraged but encouraged by it.  

7 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So after sitting the first 2 games of the season, Brock Boeser has gotten 4 points (2G, 2A) in the next 3 games, while playing 16 minutes a game.

This years Calder trophy race for Rookie of the Year, is shaping up to be a close one. There are no Laine/Matthews type players in the rookie class, who are gonna run away with the rookie scoring lead (or so it seems). It is unreasonable to assume Will Butcher will continue his point pace. So 2 games may make the difference in leading the rookie class in goal/point scoring. 

My question: Do you think Boeser sitting the 2 games will have an impact on his overall Calder chances, and did Green make the right choice in sitting Boeser?

Discuss.

1231.PNG

Way too early...   

Green has the green light to sit or play any player he chooses atm.  Brock is a first year pro who will be playing a grinding 79 game season.  His longest season prior was around 50 games. 

Big adjustments and stamina will will be tested.  Green sat him and then played him properly.  

Instead of looking at the 3 games as a negative, why not focus on how Green has deployed him in the last two games and how well Brock has looked.  

Does anyone here think WD would have put Baer, Burm and Brock together so quickly and given them more ice time than the twins?

6 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

I'm starting to get scared of how good he is and how quickly it's happening. What if he goes Draisaitl on us and demands 8mil+??  Still not used to this feeling of having such an exciting young player. 

No problem, as long as he earns and produces. 

Would rather spend the in Brock the Loui. 

21 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Brock just proved how stupid Green's decision was, there was no reason to sit him at all, none!

Not really... BB did look slightly jaded in the last 2 pre season games...

Green said him self that he felt Brock needed a bit of rest. 

Can't argue that Brock has been a revelation so far, so who knows... 

Of all the issues there may be with Greens coaching, I do not see any evidence, that he made the wrong call on this one... 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not worried about the two games. Will Butcher's the only other guy over a point per game. Boeser can pass the rest of the pack if he maintains this pace. He just needs to go Tonya Harding on Butcher and the Calder should be all but wrapped up for him. ;) 

Tuch is coming on strong too. 3 points in first two games. 

But I don’t see nj or lv keeping the pace they are at. McAvoy, sergachev, vrana, Keller &, boeser, will all be in the running at the end of the year. 

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Tuch is coming on strong too. 3 points in first two games. 

But I don’t see nj or lv keeping the pace they are at. McAvoy, sergachev, vrana, Keller &, boeser, will all be in the running at the end of the year. 

Watched tuch last night.  Good all around player - shot, skating, hustle....

i have to say that the sabres the knights opponent last night, have become a fun team to watch.  I didn't know much about Jack Eichel and I'm extremely impressed.  Absolutely love his game.  Have him in my pool so I'll keep an eye on him more through my rogers game centre.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Not really... BB did look slightly jaded in the last 2 pre season games...

Green said him self that he felt Brock needed a bit of rest. 

Can't argue that Brock has been a revelation so far, so who knows... 

Of all the issues there may be with Greens coaching, I do not see any evidence, that he made the wrong call on this one... 

I disagree totally, saying he looked slightly jaded is purely subjective on your part, means nothing.

Just because Green says Brock needed a rest makes it so? again purely subjective. No way to prove he wouldn't have been been great if he played.

The issue is Green making calls for no reason except in his mind.

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Way too early...   

Green has the green light to sit or play any player he chooses atm.  Brock is a first year pro who will be playing a grinding 79 game season.  His longest season prior was around 50 games. 

Big adjustments and stamina will will be tested.  Green sat him and then played him properly.  

Instead of looking at the 3 games as a negative, why not focus on how Green has deployed him in the last two games and how well Brock has looked.  

Does anyone here think WD would have put Baer, Burm and Brock together so quickly and given them more ice time than the twins?

I didn't say if it was negative or positive. I simply gave the facts and asked a question. 

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I disagree totally, saying he looked slightly jaded is purely subjective on your part, means nothing.

Just because Green says Brock needed a rest makes it so? again purely subjective. No way to prove he wouldn't have been been great if he played.

Well it may be entirely subjective on my part, but Green said the same thing...

No disrespect, but you watch the telly like the rest of us and seem to think, you know more about the players than Green does, who is working with them daily? Or are you following them daily?

What I saw on TV was a BB, who was not as fluent in the last preseason game as he was in his first preseason games. Something suggests I can't have been far off with my impression since he didn't start the first games.

As I said before, you have no way of knowing, if it would have been the same even if Brock had started the first 2 games of the season, nor do I.

Regardless, I'm absolutely sure that Green has the inside track on you regarding BB condition.

Green making calls...is what he get paid to do.  And so far, with the way BB has been playing it looks like the right call.

It is definitely not a bad call, as Brock has been a revelation.

17 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

That's your opinion, and it seems to be an unfounded one based on the information we have.

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

While it is still way way too early... Butcher is absolutely running away with the Calder... Boeser would not even be in the conversation right now.. Again it is early though and Brock is looking great so far. 

Even missing 40% of the season so far, he actually is in the conversation right now as a potential finalist at least.

11 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

I'm starting to get scared of how good he is and how quickly it's happening. What if he goes Draisaitl on us and demands 8mil+??  Still not used to this feeling of having such an exciting young player. 

That doesn't matter.... After this season, there is no player on the roster making over 6 million. I'm sure if Boeser earns the salary, he will get it and we will find a way to afford him.

The media seemed to get nothing on how in shape Brock was to start the preseason. Could that be by design? Could Travis Green have been like, "Okay Brock. I see your talent, but your conditioning needs to get better if you are gonna make it thru the season. This isn't college hockey. You need to make it thru 82 games. So spend a few days, getting your conditioning up, none of this info will be leaked to the media, and then I will get you into games." It's not completely out of the question that this type of conversation may have happened. I have been in excellent shape, but neglected my cardio and &^@#, if Brock tried the same and actually plays professional hockey, he would be hurting, trying to keep up...as skilled as he is.

8 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Everybody will hit a wall once in a while, especially for best rookie player.  Selanne scored 76 goals but in playoffs, he hit a wall against the Canucks despite a ppg in the series.  The Canucks was not known for its defence.  Sometimes it's good to slow down a notch or two during  dog days of the season.   A timely break will do wonder for any rookies in the league.  Consecutive games play is overrated, imo.   In order for this to work, it is best to notify their own players of a planned break ahead of the schedule so that rookies will not be discouraged but encouraged by it.  

The wall was named Peca

Archived