The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

So after sitting the first 2 games of the season, Brock Boeser has gotten 4 points (2G, 2A) in the next 3 games, while playing 16 minutes a game.

This years Calder trophy race for Rookie of the Year, is shaping up to be a close one. There are no Laine/Matthews type players in the rookie class, who are gonna run away with the rookie scoring lead (or so it seems). It is unreasonable to assume Will Butcher will continue his point pace. So 2 games may make the difference in leading the rookie class in goal/point scoring. 

My question: Do you think Boeser sitting the 2 games will have an impact on his overall Calder chances, and did Green make the right choice in sitting Boeser?

Discuss.

1231.PNG

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oct 26 Update

dddddd.PNG

Boeser is now tied with Will Butcher for lead in points per game among rookies.

Just a reminder

Every single Calder winner in the last 15 years was #1 in points at their position (Either F or D).

The only exception?  Goalies.

You have to go back to 2002-2003 season to find a Calder winner who wasn't leading rookies in point scoring at their position.

November 4th Update:

screenshot454537.PNG

Brock Boeser now leads all rookies in points per game, and would probably lead in points if he played a couple more games.

November 18th Update:

Boeser still leads all players in points per game and is closing in on the overall point lead. He is the only rookie still at a point per game pace. 

222.PNG

Nov 30th Update:

Boeser leads all rookies in goals, points, and points per game. He and Barzal are starting to pull away, but Debrincat has been hot as of late and he could jump into the top 3. Keller has cooled down. Only 3 points in his last 6 games, all of them being assists.

hkjhkj.PNG

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dec 22 Update

Forget about rookies, Boeser is in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.

No seriously. He's 5th in overall goals and #1 in goals per 60 minutes among all players.

This means that if you were to select a player to score 1 goal at any given time, Boeser would be your best bet.

8798797.PNG

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

876876876.PNG

Jan 28 Update

Boeser still leads all rookies in goals, but has fallen behind Barzal in points and points per game. IMO if Boeser hits 35 goals and keeps close to Barzal in points than he has a good shot. But he'll need to close the point gap.

If Boeser performs well as a result of being rested occasionally, then yes, Green is making the right moves. Also, Nucks fans should be prepared for Boeser to sit more games this season as he gets his mind and body up to the day to day grind of the NHL. I want Green doing what's best for Boeser (and it looks like he is so far) rather than trying to get Boeser the Calder so early in the year.

So far so good. 

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If Boeser performs well as a result of being rested occasionally, then yes, Green is making the right moves. Also, Nucks fans should be prepared for Boeser to sit more games this season as he gets his mind and body up to the day to day grind of the NHL. I want Green doing what's best for Boeser (and it looks like he is so far) rather than trying to get Boeser the Calder so early in the year.

So far so good. 

Agreed. People tend to forget that the NCAA hockey schedule is much more spread out and they play far less games than the CHL or AHL plays. He's going to need to get used to the NHL schedule pace and stretch. The last thing this team needs is for him to hit a wall and not score and lose confidence in his game.

Who's to say Brock would be over a point a game right now if he had played those first 2 games? 

Maybe management made the right call to give him some rest.

Whatever the case I'm just happy to watch this kid develop. Haven't been this excited for games in maybe a couple of years

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

So far so good. 

I'd understand that angle if we were 50 games in, not 5 games in.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's quite possible Green made a mistake in sitting him to start the season.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I'd understand that angle if we were 50 games in, not 5 games in.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's quite possible Green made a mistake in sitting him to start the season.

Got to get to 50 somehow, and over the course of 82 games there's no harm in resting early, especially if Boeser felt tired after playing so many preseason games. I still believe it's a combo of that, and Green wanting to limit the attention toward him on opening night. We all know the market we're in. Brock doesn't, but I bet he does now. It's all part of learning how to be a professional in the NHL. 

19 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

I'm starting to get scared of how good he is and how quickly it's happening. What if he goes Draisaitl on us and demands 8mil+??  Still not used to this feeling of having such an exciting young player. 

Then we pay the man $8M+

Boeser is a stud and will soon be a star in the league. When he gets to that level he deserves to get paid accordingly.

Archived