The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Well it may be entirely subjective on my part, but Green said the same thing...

No disrespect, but you watch the telly like the rest of us and seem to think, you know more about the players than Green does, who is working with them daily? Or are you following them daily?

What I saw on TV was a BB, who was not as fluent in the last preseason game as he was in his first preseason games. Something suggests I can't have been far off with my impression since he didn't start the first games.

As I said before, you have no way of knowing, if it would have been the same even if Brock had started the first 2 games of the season, nor do I.

Regardless, I'm absolutely sure that Green has the inside track on you regarding BB condition.

Green making calls...is what he get paid to do.  And so far, with the way BB has been playing it looks like the right call.

It is definitely not a bad call, as Brock has been a revelation.

Your arguments are so weak I will not waste anymore time on you.

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

While it is still way way too early... Butcher is absolutely running away with the Calder... Boeser would not even be in the conversation right now.. Again it is early though and Brock is looking great so far. 

Its been just 6 games, you can't judge based on that sample size. If that was the case, then NJ and Colorado are also making the playoffs. Will Butcher will hit a rough patch and when that happens, Boeser will catch him.

The two games (sitting out) are history so you can't recover them.  Also, winning the rookie award should be more than just who has the most points at the end of the year. 

That being said that line in last night's game played very well together.  Let's hope they can continue with that energy.

I'd rather he is a player for us for a long term, than one unimportant season.

Other Calder winners, like Landeskog who has been declining hard personally, as well as the team... Jeff Skinner who has had his bell rung more times than Canterbury Cathedral and is now a permanent 'at risk' player for concussion - and is only now returning to form after being thrust into it too young. Ekblad? Injured. Tyler Myers? Sagging *hard*. Nathan Mackinnon? Declining with Landeskog with the avs. Huberdeau? Injured.

Panarin is a good comparable for Brock... but is two years older without the NHL grind on his younger body. I have ZERO issue with Brock sitting out; having a Calder trophy would be nice on the shelf for him, but if he's not Patty Kane (he isn't) or Ovechkin (He isn't) or Malkin (Still isn't) level of amazing, then we're doing the right thing. Don't let him get broken for the sake of an award.

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

I'd rather he is a player for us for a long term, than one unimportant season.

Other Calder winners, like Landeskog who has been declining hard personally, as well as the team... Jeff Skinner who has had his bell rung more times than Canterbury Cathedral and is now a permanent 'at risk' player for concussion - and is only now returning to form after being thrust into it too young. Ekblad? Injured. Tyler Myers? Sagging *hard*. Nathan Mackinnon? Declining with Landeskog with the avs. Huberdeau? Injured.

Panarin is a good comparable for Brock... but is two years older without the NHL grind on his younger body. I have ZERO issue with Brock sitting out; having a Calder trophy would be nice on the shelf for him, but if he's not Patty Kane (he isn't) or Ovechkin (He isn't) or Malkin (Still isn't) level of amazing, then we're doing the right thing. Don't let him get broken for the sake of an award.

But... but, it would make the fans feel so much better about themselves if he won!

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

The wall was named Peca

I never forgot that hit.  That was huge and stopped Selanne's track and he struggled a little bit afterward and was not the same.  He was still effective regardless.  Wow, what a hit by Peca,  Too bad he was not on this team for long.  I believe that happened in Selanne's second year in the league if my memory was correct.  If this type of hit happened today, he would be suspended for sure.  

43 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I never forgot that hit.  That was huge and stopped Selanne's track and he struggled a little bit afterward and was not the same.  He was still effective regardless.  Wow, what a hit by Peca,  Too bad he was not on this team for long.  I believe that happened in Selanne's second year in the league if my memory was correct.  If this type of hit happened today, he would be suspended for sure.  

Prob 2 or 3 games supension, more maybe? 

17 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Agreed. People tend to forget that the NCAA hockey schedule is much more spread out and they play far less games than the CHL or AHL plays. He's going to need to get used to the NHL schedule pace and stretch. The last thing this team needs is for him to hit a wall and not score and lose confidence in his game.

Why do people think he needs to be babied? I see plenty of rookies on that list that are playing every game and are putting up points.  Since when do you sit a guy leading our team in scoring with half the amount of games played cuz the NHL schedule is harder? The kids putting up points so play him - Id take a tired Boeser over 2 Erikssons on coke any day.

28 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Why do people think he needs to be babied? I see plenty of rookies on that list that are playing every game and are putting up points.  Since when do you sit a guy leading our team in scoring with half the amount of games played cuz the NHL schedule is harder? The kids putting up points so play him - Id take a tired Boeser over 2 Erikssons on coke any day.

It is not necessarily babied him up.  It's more of realistic reaction to how your body would react to a sudden change to the level of play and length of the season.   Athletes needs just a day off between any involvement in sports to fully recover from any rigour exercise.  That is a science fact especially on workouts.  The NHL schedule includes a back to back games which would cause some stress to the body on every athlete.  It does not matter who you are, you are only a human and you need some rest.  A 35 college games is different compared to 82 games schedule and a strong body will break down eventually if you keep on playing every games.  You do not want to pull a groin when your body tells you to rest but you can't because your coach wants you to play hard every night.  Your team will lose games eventually and makes no difference on whether you play or not.   A healthy bodies with enough rest will go a long way especially in the playoffs.  

5 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

The media seemed to get nothing on how in shape Brock was to start the preseason. Could that be by design? Could Travis Green have been like, "Okay Brock. I see your talent, but your conditioning needs to get better if you are gonna make it thru the season. This isn't college hockey. You need to make it thru 82 games. So spend a few days, getting your conditioning up, none of this info will be leaked to the media, and then I will get you into games." It's not completely out of the question that this type of conversation may have happened. I have been in excellent shape, but neglected my cardio and &^@#, if Brock tried the same and actually plays professional hockey, he would be hurting, trying to keep up...as skilled as he is.

Again, in order to make this point, you need to back it up.

Of the top level NCAA players that made their transition, most make a direct transition into the NHL. Maybe it's a Brock thing but it's definitely not an NCAA thing.

Parayko, Toews, Parise, Eichel, Stastny, Keith, Heatley, Hayes, Read, the list goes on.

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

It is not necessarily babied him up.  It's more of realistic reaction to how your body would react to a sudden change to the level of play and length of the season.   Athletes needs just a day off between any involvement in sports to fully recover from any rigour exercise.  That is a science fact especially on workouts.  The NHL schedule includes a back to back games which would cause some stress to the body on every athlete.  It does not matter who you are, you are only a human and you need some rest.  A 35 college games is different compared to 82 games schedule and a strong body will break down eventually if you keep on playing every games.  You do not want to pull a groin when your body tells you to rest but you can't because your coach wants you to play hard every night.  Your team will lose games eventually and makes no difference on whether you play or not.   A healthy bodies with enough rest will go a long way especially in the playoffs.  

How long has JV been here and his pre-season was pretty good so it makes extra sense to play him first and see what happens with his consistency then at the same time give Brock a seat to shake him up a bit which may or may not have been needed since even though he's young he's bought into be a professional about it.

I can see reasons for sitting Boeser out for those two games. First Boeser had slowed down at the end of the pre-season. Plus Green wanted to see how to fit in his new veterans whom he hadn't work with before. Plus it isn't a bad thing to establish to a young player, highly praised of not, that he's not just going to be gifted a spot either.

And the second game was simply because the team played so well in that first game, and he wanted to keep rolling with the same roster and get a good start to the season.

It isn't Green's job to try and do everything he can so that one of his young prospects gets to walk up on some stage at the end of the year to get a piece of hardware to put on his mantle. That's a great bonus, but that might only happen if Brock forces Travis's hand and he simply has no choice but to play him every game.

guys dont get too excited too soon. he kinda reminds me of david booth. Booth had a 30 goal season. he is a one dimensional player who drives to the net and tries to score. if he scores great, but if he doesnt hes pretty much useless. lets hope im wrong

2 hours ago, Davathor said:

2 Erikssons on coke ftw

Archived