The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Buffalo's Rhino?

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

'Realistically speaking' Gaudette's ceiling, in the short run, would be in the running for the Hobey Baker.

He was a top 10 NCAA scorer last year as a 19 yr old sophomore - at this point is realistically among a handful of leading candidates - and has 7 pts in his first 3 contests this year.

Longer term who knows - but success in college hockey has proven relatively translatable - so maybe not a great idea to cap his 'ceiling' at this point.

Guadette is on his way to becoming an effective NHLer but much like Reinhart we don't know the ceiling of either player, and in this case we'd be banking on Reinhart being higher/more of a sure shot at reaching that potential.

Ideally i'd love to keep a player like Gaudette, but you need to give value in order to receive value. 

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Guadette is on his way to becoming an effective NHLer but much like Reinhart we don't know the ceiling of either player, and in this case we'd be banking on Reinhart being higher/more of a sure shot at reaching that potential.

Ideally i'd love to keep a player like Gaudette, but you need to give value in order to receive value. 

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gaudette is a centre and the Sabres are already knee deep in centres.  Their needs are at left wing and upgrades on defence.  Housley prefers mobile D-men who shoot on net.  Bogosian can't manage to stay healthy and when he is playing, he's usually playing with one injury or another.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Gaudette is a centre and the Sabres are already knee deep in centres.  Their needs are at left wing and upgrades on defence.  Housley prefers mobile D-men who shoot on net.  Bogosian can't manage to stay healthy and when he is playing, he's usually playing with one injury or another.

I don't assume Hutton and Baertschi would be even near close enough to get a deal done. 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Just not a smart trade to make, unless you receive overpayment from a team that really wants him, and are sure of their upside and what they'll become, but nobody knows that for certain.  Could look back in 3-4 years and think, "Wow -- and people wanted to move Gaudette AND Tanev for him?"

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Just not a smart trade to make, unless you receive overpayment from a team that really wants him, and are sure of their upside and what they'll become, but nobody knows that for certain.  Could look back in 3-4 years and think, "Wow -- and people wanted to move Gaudette AND Tanev for him?"

Yep, you sure could, we could have done the same with Shinkaruk and Granlund deal too.  If we take on Reinhart to be a center then that leaves one of the other three on the outs (Horavt, Pettersson, Gaudette).

From my perspective i think Reinhart has a higher ceiling and is more likely to reach that ceiling.  Last year he put up 47 points in his sophomore year which is nothing to shy about.  We were pumped about bo hitting the 40 point mark in his sophomore year.  He's only 21, I see Reinhart as a viable Henrik replacement and he's a Vancouver kid on top of that.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't assume Hutton and Baertschi would be even near close enough to get a deal done. 

They wouldn't be enough to close a deal because of Reinhart's upper limit potential.  If we are talking about current play, those 2 and a second would be about equal value.

Reinhart is a mediocre centre right now because he's been playing on the right side for the last 2 seasons alternating between the first and second lines.  He's a top 6 wingman.

If any team were to pick him up for certreman duties, they'd have to suffer through mediocre play for most of his first season.  Only rebuilding teams can afford to do that.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

An example deal:

Buff: Rhino & conditional 2019 2nd

Van: Baer, Hutton & Gaudette

Pick a points-threshold, like 50 pts(?)..if Rhino doesn't meet it(either season), then they include the pick. Is something like this fair? Too risky?

It would be a stupid move on the Sabres' part.  Reinhart would be re-training at centre for most of his first year in Vancouver so he'll end up with less than 50 pts. for sure.  Id expect about 30-35 pts. with most coming around the last third of the season.

Also, as I've said several times, the Sabres are flush with centres so Gaudette holds no value for them in a trade.

The Sabres' new front office is in a wait and see mode with him.  Since Botterill didn't draft him, he has no attachment to him.  The discussion is entertaining for that reason.  I think that's why his name popped up with that one media person.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

It would be a stupid move on the Sabres' part.  Reinhart would be re-training at centre for most of his first year in Vancouver so he'll end up with less than 50 pts. for sure.  Id expect about 30-35 pts. with most coming around the last third of the season.

Also, as I've said several times, the Sabres are flush with centres so Gaudette holds no value for them in a trade.

The Sabres' new front office is in a wait and see mode with him.  Since Botterill didn't draft him, he has no attachment to him.  The discussion is entertaining for that reason.  I think that's why his name popped up with that one media person.

Well SF1..as Chuck Berry sang, "You never can tell". Who knows, they might deal from a position of surplus? I don't keep up on your boys, so read my posts as a drunkard's shots in the dark.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well SF1..as Chuck Berry sang, "You never can tell". Who knows, they might deal from a position of surplus? I don't keep up on your boys, so read my posts as a drunkard's shots in the dark.

Agreed. 

If Tim Murray was in charge still, I'd roll my eyes and say, "they're crazy", but since there's all new people in town, like you said, "You never can tell".

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They wouldn't be enough to close a deal because of Reinhart's upper limit potential.  If we are talking about current play, those 2 and a second would be about equal value.

Reinhart is a mediocre centre right now because he's been playing on the right side for the last 2 seasons alternating between the first and second lines.  He's a top 6 wingman.

If any team were to pick him up for certreman duties, they'd have to suffer through mediocre play for most of his first season.  Only rebuilding teams can afford to do that.

So in that case shouldn't his value be on the low side realistically? I have a hard time seeing Buffalo let this guy walk for a bargain though. I don't think we have the spare pieces Bufffalo needs either. I think sitting and waiting for Kane is a better move. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So in that case shouldn't his value be on the low side realistically? I have a hard time seeing Buffalo let this guy walk for a bargain though. I don't think we have the spare pieces Bufffalo needs either. I think sitting and waiting for Kane is a better move. 

Absolutely.  That's why right now his equal worth is less than ever and why the Sabres are highly unlikely to trade him.  He's worth much more to the Sabres as a wingman than he is to other teams as a centre.

Earlier in the thread I quoted what his actual current equal worth is (low-ish).  The reason why he's so valued by other teams is because of his ceiling potential.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's exactly where we are today, that's exactly what we are going to be doing with Pettersson when he finally makes the jump to the NHL.  Next year when Hank retires, we really only have Sutter and Horvat down the middle (depending if we resign Burmy or not).  Since were going to be in that position anyways we might as well put a high potential player in that spot.  he's still very capable to becoming a 60-80 point player in this league.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

'Realistically speaking' Gaudette's ceiling, in the short run, would be in the running for the Hobey Baker.

He was a top 10 NCAA scorer last year as a 19 yr old sophomore - at this point is realistically among a handful of leading candidates - and has 7 pts in his first 3 contests this year.

Longer term who knows - but success in college hockey has proven relatively translatable - so maybe not a great idea to cap his 'ceiling' at this point.

I mean, that's certainly fair, but It's hard for me to see a scenario in which he actually surpasses what Sam Reinhart currently is.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's exactly where we are today, that's exactly what we are going to be doing with Pettersson when he finally makes the jump to the NHL.  Next year when Hank retires, we really only have Sutter and Horvat down the middle (depending if we resign Burmy or not).  Since were going to be in that position anyways we might as well put a high potential player in that spot.  he's still very capable to becoming a 60-80 point player in this league.

I know.  That's what makes Reinhart attractive to a team like the Canucks.  If I were GMJB (Van's JB), I'd do everything in my power to try and cobble together a deal while the Sabres' new front office is still evaluating a slow-starting team.

Archived