The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quebec Passes Bill-62 - Bans Face Coverings For Government Services

DonLever

Quebec passes legislation that bans people from wearing face coverings while receiving government services.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/10/18/quebec-lawmakers-vote-in-favour-of-religious-neutrality-bill-banning-face-coverings.html

MONTREAL—The Quebec national assembly passed a controversial religious neutrality bill Wednesday that will oblige citizens to uncover their faces while giving and receiving state services, triggering criticism the law targets Muslim women.

Quebec’s two main opposition parties opposed the bill because they argued it didn’t go far enough in restricting the presence of conspicuous religious symbols in the public sphere.

Tabled by Justice Minister Stéphanie Vallée in 2015, Bill 62 is the governing Liberals’ attempt to enshrine into law what is considered to be a fundamental Quebec value that the state should not promote religion of any kind.

It follows up on an election promise in 2014 to address the issue after the Parti Québécois’ own controversial secularism charter — the so-called charter of values — died after the party was swept out of power that year.

The new law has two basic components: it bans the wearing of face coverings for people giving or receiving a service from the state and it offers a framework outlining how authorities should grant accommodation requests based on religious beliefs.

While the Liberal bill doesn’t specifically mention the garb, it would have the effect of prohibiting the burka and niqab while people interact with the state, but it doesn’t extend to other religious symbols as the PQ’s charter did.

Ontario’s Liberal government says it believes Quebec’s new law on religious neutrality runs contrary to Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms and will lead to legal challenges.

16 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Quebec passes legislation that bans people from wearing face coverings while receiving government services.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/10/18/quebec-lawmakers-vote-in-favour-of-religious-neutrality-bill-banning-face-coverings.html

MONTREAL—The Quebec national assembly passed a controversial religious neutrality bill Wednesday that will oblige citizens to uncover their faces while giving and receiving state services, triggering criticism the law targets Muslim women.

Quebec’s two main opposition parties opposed the bill because they argued it didn’t go far enough in restricting the presence of conspicuous religious symbols in the public sphere.

Tabled by Justice Minister Stéphanie Vallée in 2015, Bill 62 is the governing Liberals’ attempt to enshrine into law what is considered to be a fundamental Quebec value that the state should not promote religion of any kind.

It follows up on an election promise in 2014 to address the issue after the Parti Québécois’ own controversial secularism charter — the so-called charter of values — died after the party was swept out of power that year.

The new law has two basic components: it bans the wearing of face coverings for people giving or receiving a service from the state and it offers a framework outlining how authorities should grant accommodation requests based on religious beliefs.

While the Liberal bill doesn’t specifically mention the garb, it would have the effect of prohibiting the burka and niqab while people interact with the state, but it doesn’t extend to other religious symbols as the PQ’s charter did.

Ontario’s Liberal government says it believes Quebec’s new law on religious neutrality runs contrary to Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms and will lead to legal challenges.

I don't have problems with this at all. 

Good. Needs to be completely eliminated.

If you come to this country, abide by the laws and integrate into its way of life. If not, you are free to leave.

Its funny because if we pushed our beliefs, customs in some of the countries these people are coming from, we would get slaughtered. 

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Bank robber disguises are less of a disguise than some of the religious garb. 

We must retain the right to fully assess a persons body language and facial nuances when dealing with certain things.  

This is will be a statue to tear down in the future. 

i'm going to agree with you this time 189 givin the threat of terrorism these days and women that martyr themselves.

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Bank robber disguises are less of a disguise than some of the religious garb. 

We must retain the right to fully assess a persons body language and facial nuances when dealing with certain things.  

This is will be a statue to tear down in the future. 

What statue? Doesn't this bill already tear it down?

32 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I don't have a problem with this. It may be your right to worship and believe whatever you choose, but for matters of security, fraud prevention or whatever else you should show that you are indeed, you. 

Yeah, definitely need to show your face to get on the bus or subway. :rolleyes:

This wasn't done for fraud prevention. It wasn't done because people are afraid of being robbed without being able to see their attacker's face. It was done because of Quebec's white catholic superiority complex and the false belief that every other religion is the problem in the world but their own. It was done out of an unfounded and irrational fear that people who wear face-coverings are monsters out to get us. 

This will be challenged and will be struck down for being contrary to the Charter. As it should be.

21 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Good. Needs to be completely eliminated.

If you come to this country, abide by the laws and integrate into its way of life. If not, you are free to leave.

Its funny because if we pushed our beliefs, customs in some of the countries these people are coming from, we would get slaughtered. 

Very true.

If you can't live with the dress standards imposed by the Quebec Gov. Services... then don't apply for a job there.

Instead go apply for a job at the Disguise / Head covering  Factory . 

32 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I don't have a problem with this. It may be your right to worship and believe whatever you choose, but for matters of security, fraud prevention or whatever else you should show that you are indeed, you. 

Don't kid yourself that this will improve security. None of those guys driving trucks through crowds were wearing niqab's. Its an unnecessary bill that won't do anything but create more hate imo, but such is the world we are in.

Just now, Fateless said:

Yeah, definitely need to show your face to get on the bus or subway.

I mean, this is ridiculous. This wasn't done for fraud prevention. It was done because of Quebec's white catholic superiority complex and the false belief that every other religion is the problem in the world but their own. 

This will be challenged and will be struck down for being contrary to the Charter

Give me a break. This clearly isn't about subways and bus rides. This is about allowing officials who are part of the system we've been living under since almost forever to see who they are interacting with. I don't care if it was framed poorly by racist separatists initially, I agree that for purposes of conducting government business you show your face.

Ever tried lying to someone over the phone, then attempting the same lie with eye contact? Catch my drift yet?

Just now, Green Building said:

Give me a break. This clearly isn't about subways and bus rides.

Then why is it now illegal in Quebec to ride a bus or subway with a face covering on?

See my point? The law is ultra vires or outside the scope of the authority of the Quebec government to legislate because the only reason they've made it illegal to wear a face-covering on a bus is because they're racist.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Don't kid yourself that this will improve security. None of those guys driving trucks through crowds were wearing niqab's. Its an unnecessary bill that won't do anything but create more hate imo, but such is the world we are in.

Don't misquote me as saying that's what I believe this is predominantly about. 

1 minute ago, Cramarossa said:

Does this mean you can receive government services while donning a giant crucifix necklace like a rapper, as long as your face is uncovered? 

In Quebec you can only receive government services if you wear a giant crucifix.

Archived