• Announcements

• StealthNuck

All Threads Must Contain Tags!   07/25/2017

ALL THREADS MUST CONTAIN TAGS   All threads in this forum must contain tags prefixed to topic titles. The purpose of the tags is to eliminate confusion in recent threads lists, and to create an organized and consistent environment. Moderators may immediately lock and thread that does not contain tags.    Tags must be placed at the start of your thread title, following this exact formatting:    [Tag] Thread Title   Here are some of the most used popular tags:    [Proposal]
      A trade, or trades, for next season, or even the off-season.
      [Off-Season]
      FA signings, off-season trades for RFA's, UFA's rights etc...
      [Value Of]
      (A question regarding a players worth, whether from another team, or the Canucks)
      [Speculation] Posting a rumor (with a source of course), but providing why it could be possible for the Canucks to land that player.   [Discussion]
      Thoughts on team trading strategy and composition.   Please feel free to create your own tag if none of these suit your thread.   
Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Clay

[Discussion] what assets should Benning target in trades?

9 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

This

Benning would rather keep what he has and lose every game, than make trades due to a slump or not able to win games.

people need to realize this and accept a mediocre team for a few years, 3-4 ....

lol what...we have already been an inferior team for the last 5 years already. So still have to wait 3-4 years? Any mediocre GM can rebuild a team in 8-9 years. Drafting high is not hard. Unless you draft Virtanen, Juolevi and the yet to be determined Pettersson. 

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol what...we have already been an inferior team for the last 5 years already. So still have to wait 3-4 years? Any mediocre GM can rebuild a team in 8-9 years. Drafting high is not hard. Unless you draft Virtanen, Juolevi and the yet to be determined Pettersson. 

5 years is a bit of a stretch though eh. we were still a good team in 2012-2013, and in 2013-2014 we were actually playing very well until the second half.  we were on pace ~99 or 100 points until a 9-1 loss to the Ducks in January, the we had a terrible end to the year with a 60 point pace to finish with 84 points or something like that. our team was much more talented than what we finished the year with. then the next season in 2014-2015 we overacheived with 101 points, but there were still a lot of signs that we were at good middle of the road team and that a "retool" might be possible (horvat stayed with the club, Virtanen and McCann both looked promising in junior, Markstrom was dominating in the AHL that season, Kassian had his best season of his career to that point).

it was only about half way through the next season that it was clear we were behind on the rebuild. Sedins were getting older, Kassian's personal struggle derailed his career, virtanen and McCann both underwhelmed, our defence struggled, and it was clear that 8 years of bas drafting had finally cought up to us. Maybe you saw it coming, but I doubt you saw the drop be so drastic and instant. If you ask me, we've been an inferior team since January 2014, and weve been "rebuilding" (whether its been called that or not) since Torts called the core stale at the end of that season.

• Upvote 1

On 10/19/2017 at 7:45 AM, RonMexico said:

Man this team has old players. This 27 year old veteran defenseman is dragging this team with his oldness. Can he even skate anymore with those degenerating hips? How can he hold his stick with the arthritis he has?

I'll keep him around thanks. We need some senior citizens on the team.

Yeah. I can hardly wait until Horvat gets a couple of more years on him so the Canucks can trade him.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 2

If I'm GM, I'm looking for draft picks and prospects, all the way. 

The problem, as I see it, is that our expendables are passed their prime, under NMC's or aren't doing very well.

Unless we're willing to part with our bigger pieces, which I don't see any chance of, I think we're going to be pretty quiet on the trade front, and rightfully so. We have some sorting out to do. I can see a couple more prospects being ready next year.

I think if we have to take a little less for edler we should and make room for prospects.