The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

He could see those numbers the whole time so you have to hold up. I think the five and game was sufficient but I can live with a one game suspension as well as long as we see consistent enforcement of the rule and punishment for the rest of the season. If there is a hit worse and nothing is done then I'm not on board with the one game. We all know it'll happen. I'm not of the camp that the league is out to get the Canucks I just believe that the league and the Dept of Player Safety is so inconsistent and wishy washy that you know worse hits will go unpunished or get some head scratching punishment.

I'd also love to see an explanation from the league as to why there was no instigator penalty for the guy who jumped in to fight Guds. Either let them fight or call it the same across the board. Stop being so worried about face-off infractions and worry about calling a consistent game. It'd be nice if there was an transparency when it came to the league dealing with officials that made bad calls or screwed up. I think it'd make players and fans happy to see some accountability.

Something I would like to see is a mandatory one game suspension given to anyone that gets an instigator penalty after a hit that receives no penalty in game and is deemed clean by the player safety committee.  This behavior of acting like a wild monkey after a clean hit is one of the biggest blights on the game.

This only sets a precedent on how Canucks will be punished this season, don't fool yourselves.

I guarantee there will be plays with more vicious intent, resulting in injury, from repeat offenders that get a 2min boarding call and no suspension.

The league is run by pathetic scum

Vatrano and the like need to keep their heads up to. Say what you want about the responsibility of the hitter, but when a player sees another player coming and then turns his back at the last second, he bears some culpability in that instance. Making him out to be some hapless victim is feigning ignorance.

The NHL minimum suspension should be 2 games. What's the point of just 1? If a player was ejected from a game and got a misconduct but the play wasn't bad enough to warrant a 2 game suspension then theres no reason why they should have a suspension added to their record.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

This only sets a precedent on how Canucks will be punished this season, don't fool yourselves.

I guarantee there will be plays with more vicious intent, resulting in injury, from repeat offenders that get a 2min boarding call and no suspension.

The league is run by pathetic scum

tumblr_mc7h4irs0R1rq3i3ro1_500.gif

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

Something I would like to see is a mandatory one game suspension given to anyone that gets an instigator penalty after a hit that receives no penalty in game and is deemed clean by the player safety committee.  This behavior of acting like a wild monkey after a clean hit is one of the biggest blights on the game.

But you have to wait for the determination of "clean" or not.

So these guys just act on instinct, but that instigator deal means nothing if it's not enforced every time.  And, it's not.  So it's basically useless.

I like the wild monkey stuff, however, only if it's all on a level playing field and everyone gets the same shot at it.  Sadly, the Bruins' wild monkeys are also part of the NHL Player Safety Council's family circus.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Vatrano and the like need to keep their heads up to. Say what you want about the responsibility of the hitter, but when a player sees another player coming and then turns his back at the last second, he bears some culpability in that instance. Making him out to be some hapless victim is feigning ignorance.

- Keep your head up.

- Don't get caught with your head down.

- Always cream a guy you catch watching the puck.

My Dad was pretty clear about the most important rules of the game.

While it is a boarding penalty when you look at the hit and the resulting effect on Vatrano, it's hard to see how Guddy could have played it differently. Vatrano is right up against the boards protecting the puck with his back to the play. He tries to pull away from the boards to create space for himself to and it's already too late. Guddy was certainly not charging and he was looking to pin but the extra few inches of space meant Vatrano crumpled into the boards. Both players at fault and I would have been fine with a minor.

Major I get because other refs didn't know of Vatrano would return.

But suspension? No way.

Not that I have a problem with the suspension, but can anyone recall a play where it was 50/50 whether or not a Canucks player would get suspended and did NOT end up getting suspended? Seems like our players get suspended 100% of the time. But when the tables are turned, the opposition probably gets suspended 25% of the time, if that. Makes you wonder...

8 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Guddy deserved a one gamer but he probably should have hit Vatrano even harder to make it worth his while.

If it was Marchand, it should have been through the glass. Lil Frankie is alright, and has never tried to injure anyone, although he is a Bruin, so that douchey energy may change him.

Archived