The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

47 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Have you seen Horvat come in on the wing and cut to the net? He uses his body to shield the puck. There's nothing illegal in that. It certainly doesn't mean the defender can do as he pleases to him.

Watch the video again Alf. Vatrano shoots left. He turned his body looking back and to reach across and play the puck along the boards. He had no idea Guddy was coming because he wasn't looking that direction. He didn't turn to protect the puck he turned to play the puck.

Horvat is not on the wall; he’s going to the front of the net.  I accept it’s a penalty now.  Years ago a guy would never turn his back and face the wall, whether he saw another guy coming or not.  

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Back in the day, when you skated around showing everyone your numbers while looking down at the puck you were called a moron, not a victim.

If Guddy drops deep to cut him off on the boards, he's out of position.

Guddy did hit the numbers, but Vatrano fully deserved it. That was some weak crap.

Vatrano would actually be dead right now if he played prior to 2004.

League's gotta start penalizing and suspending guys for risking themselves in situations like that. Lucky he didn't wind up with a broken neck for a PP

You can't suspend players for putting themselves in risky situations. If a player gets caught with his head down that's his own fault. Gudbranson could have leveled him with a shoulder to body check and it would have been perfectly legal and the lesson would have still been taught. As is Vatrano is likely going to rethink having his head down.

It isn't 2004 anymore. A lot of really good players have had their careers cut short due to predatory hits and the league is rightfully cracking down on it. No player deserves to get hit in the numbers.

Would have been great to have Bure in the league longer than he was. I want to watch the star players play, not sit out due to injuries from plays like this

6 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

You can't suspend players for putting themselves in risky situations. If a player gets caught with his head down that's his own fault. Gudbranson could have leveled him with a shoulder to body check and it would have been perfectly legal and the lesson would have still been taught. As is Vatrano is likely going to rethink having his head down.

It isn't 2004 anymore. A lot of really good players have had their careers cut short due to predatory hits and the league is rightfully cracking down on it. No player deserves to get hit in the numbers.

Would have been great to have Bure in the league longer than he was. I want to watch the star players play, not sit out due to injuries from plays like this

That wasn't a preditory hit by any stretch. Not even close.

Keep your damn head up, don't skate around the back of the net showing everyone your numbers, watching the puck. 

And you even say.. "caught with his head down it's his fault".

It was boarding, yes. Vatrano deserved it, yes.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Keep your damn head up, don't skate around the back of the net showing everyone your numbers, watching the puck. 

So your saying a man should never turn towards the boards behind the net to get a puck...kust face the forcchecker and d man and fish around behind with his stick.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-erik-gudbranson-suspension

Gudbranson's feet leave the ground due to making the hit. You can see by these angles that he delivers a hard check to the numbers. 

I don't think Gudbranson's intent was to hurt the guy. When you see a guys numbers though you have to ease up on your check.

Vatrano deserved to get hit but it's on Gudbranson to deliver a clean check.

1 game was the right call. 

19 minutes ago, ice orca said:

So your saying a man should never turn towards the boards behind the net to get a puck...kust face the forcchecker and d man and fish around behind with his stick.

Wow, not only is your keyboard broken, you're posting whilst concussed.

10 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-erik-gudbranson-suspension

Gudbranson's feet leave the ground due to making the hit. You can see by these angles that he delivers a hard check to the numbers. 

I don't think Gudbranson's intent was to hurt the guy. When you see a guys numbers though you have to ease up on your check.

Vatrano deserved to get hit but it's on Gudbranson to deliver a clean check.

1 game was the right call. 

I've always agreed it's boarding. 5 and the game was enough based on that Bruin turd being a flailing idiot.

But it doesn't matter anymore. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

I accept that in the new NHL that’s a major, but guys play like it’s soccer and shield the puck by turning their backs.  If you’re a really big guy (Jagr) you can get away with that, but these little guys get pounded, like they used to - when it wasn’t a penalty.  You had to either accept the hit, spin out of it, or get killed.  

The Sedins made a career of offering their backsides to their opponents on the cycle. Strangely, they were never "killed" on the endboards, just in open ice. 

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The Sedins made a career of offering their backsides to their opponents on the cycle. Strangely, they were never "killed" on the endboards, just in open ice. 

They pretty much hug the boards and are aware of who's where though. Sticking their butts out with a shoulder already on the wall.

I've been surprised at how well they absorb those hits over the years, or sometimes just pivot right away from them.

Hope Jake gets some TOI with the twins tonight, he made lots of space for them in Buffalo. 

When Vatrano is behind the net his left shoulder is a valid hit target considering Guddy's position at that time I think it is valid to attempt a hit.  Vatrano then puts himself in a bad spot and Guddy did have the ability to lay up a bit on the hit. Was a suspension needed? No. 

30 minutes ago, luckylager said:

They pretty much hug the boards and are aware of who's where though. Sticking their butts out with a shoulder already on the wall.

I've been surprised at how well they absorb those hits over the years, or sometimes just pivot right away from them.

Hope Jake gets some TOI with the twins tonight, he made lots of space for them in Buffalo. 

A power forward like Jake or Tkachuck getting the opportunity to learn how to protect the puck from Jäger or the twins is incredibly good fortune. Let's see if they learn how to read and dish while fending off opponents coming out of the corners or their timing in arriving at the net. 

Go Jake! 

On 20 October 2017 at 6:31 AM, ruilin96 said:

So back then Boychuk didn't even get a hearing for injuring Raymond in the freaking Stanley Cup Final and now on a regular season game Gudbranson has to?! 

Injured Raymond? He broke Raymond's back when the puck was on the opposite side of the rink! 

You may have to murder a Canuck in order to get a suspension....

Maybe it would help if we take down the Neilson statue outside the rink, the NHL may then give us a fair shake?

On 10/21/2017 at 4:31 AM, Baggins said:

There will always be responsibility on the hitter to throw a legal hit. This one wasn't. It's just that simple.

yes and like said about the player that knows he is going to be hit which seems the NHL forgot they said that!!

12 hours ago, cripplereh said:

yes and like said about the player that knows he is going to be hit which seems the NHL forgot they said that!!

A legal check - no problem, the player gets what he deserves.  But a player having his head down or his back turned isn't a green light to deliver an illegal check. Dems da rulz.....

On 10/19/2017 at 10:33 PM, Toews said:

Should be 2 games. His numbers were visible the entire time, you can't make that hit. Someone mentioned Kassian on Hartman, that was a hit more to the side than right into the numbers.

Not sure - I think Guddy figured he would turn but didn't.   I don't mind a suspension on this one as it is a dangerous hit but it was not intentional in my mind and one game would have been sufficient.   Either way, it was a punishing play by a player I loved in Florida and hoped that player would show up for your Canucks and be what he can be and so far, it seems he is showing up.   Guys in Florida oozed praise about him on the bench and in the room and the intangibles he brought - just opened up ice knowing he was out there.   Plays like this are not to be condoned but it does indicate to team that playing against Vancouver you should keep your head up - with Virtanen and Guddy in the line up, this is a much different team than any post 2011.

Archived