The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

From Guddy's point of view, he would have had a clear line of sight to his left shoulder. Not to mention taking into account the direction he was skating, he looked to where he was going to pass the puck and saw Guddy in his peripheral. At the exact instant when Guddy committed to the hit he turned his back.

It's unfortunate timing, I don't expect anything to come from this just a stern warning. Guddy is not a repeat offender, and the player saw the hit coming and intentionally put himself in a vulnerable position.

You make it sound like he had his back turned the entire time and Guddy came in and steam rolled intentionally.

No, I think Guddy just intended on pinning him to the boards and put more force into the hit than he likely intended to. He has never been a dirty player so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also nope that was an incredibly dangerous play, one that I would be outraged at if it happened to one of our players. No player should expect to get hit while he has back turned. That is incredibly dangerous. The only motion Vatrano makes is when he turns slightly to make the pass otherwise his numbers are visible to Guddy the whole way through. Even if Vatrano did see Gudbranson, which you cannot with any certainty say he did, he still should not expect to get hit in that manner.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

The only bit of motion he makes is to make a pass otherwise his back is turned pretty much the entire time. I am not sure if this is a suspendable hit but it was deserving of 5 and a game. Gudbranson could see his numbers the whole way through.

Watched it again.

What's Guddy supposed to do there, not take his man? He shoulder checked, saw Guddy, and if he didn't... 

I get it, Guddy hit him on the numbers- bad. But you don't just get to feeble around with the puck, on the boards, in the O zone and not get nailed. 

We'd all want Guddy put on notice if he just let dumbass just skate by. Weak 

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Haha, that's a movie worth another watch. I don't know, I was a bit surprised to hear Hip songs in the Garden, must have been thinking about their tunes. Have a high five and a doob, my treat.

Back at ya. Bout to rip a vape, finish my Tully and go to bed.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Watched it again.

What's Guddy supposed to do there, not take his man? He shoulder checked, saw Guddy, and if he didn't... 

I get it, Guddy hit him on the numbers- bad. But you don't just get to feeble around with the puck, on the boards, in the O zone and not get nailed. 

Nah, he hits him hard enough, intentionally, that he even lifts his leg to accomplish the hit's impact. This is a bad hit. I love Guddy and all, but, no. 

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Watched it again.

That's a routine play though.You see forwards make that play fairly frequently throughout the game as well as when defenseman are along the boards in their own zone. During my own playing days I played a lot off the cycle and you have to pivot your body like that to make that pass and you really don't expect to get hit when in that position. Guddy was supposed to pin him to the boards not drive his shoulder into the numbers. 

That hit is the reason why the NHL is trying to take it out however, they have been so inconsistent with this type of hit, suspend that player just because of that team and not suspending other players just because they favors the league is the issue I am having with.  They have history against us and a few other teams.  I would expect just a fine and nothing more.  If they are really biased then they would just give a game.  I would hope that they are neutral to this and stay consistent is all I ask for even if they are playing against us and does the same to our players and no discipline is where I draw the line.   Remember, this is a new season and this call is the first hearing in the season and it happens to be us.   Let's see how this goes and if they are consistent, then I'm okay with it.  I am asking for a fair decision for all players in the league in term of a fair justice.  

Now as for phone hearing, maybe they should use the size difference as their defence and ask: if that player is equally stronger and same size, would this type of action happen?  Maybe not.  They should also point out that he does not charge, or even skate for a little bit speed, and all he does is glide and made the hit due to the difference of the size.  Just the first stride and glide, not three/four strides.  Also he tried to use his shoulder to make the hit to his shoulder, and just happened to miss the mark.  Rather than using forearm which would be illegal in boarding penalty and it is not even close to forearm hits to the back.  Maybe the Canucks management team lack lawyering stuff up in the hearing is the reason why we get more suspension than other teams for doing a small stuff that would be normal hits or borderline that other teams get away with and be harsh in the decision against us.  

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The fact Vatrano kept playing in the game, should that not have a bearing on the outcome of the hearing?

It will. The league does take into account if there was an injury occurred on the play. If there had been one it would likely mean a steeper punishment.

Just now, Toews said:

It will. The league does take into account if there was an injury occurred on the play. If there had been one it would likely mean a steeper punishment.

Cheers Toews. Thought so, in which case he may get of lightly...

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, a call-up from the D shook the world upside down and proved to be better than what we have on D on this team and send down a shaky D-man (Hutton, Stecher, or even Biega).   But hopefully that there would be just a fine and a warning from the league seeing that it's not that hard of a hit considering the size difference.  

I want that type of hit to be punished & suggest 2 games. I'd even bet Guddy would say it was one he should not have made.

By the same token, I hate when Canucks get levelled. Then no penalty or suspension occurs.  I don't want to be a hypocrite.

In the past I supported suspending Rome in the finals.  Thought Hansen hitting Hossa was a joke of a suspension.  Boarding, head shots, and definitely ratboy slew foot infractions deserve suspension.

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

That hit is the reason why the NHL is trying to take it out however, they have been so inconsistent with this type of hit, suspend that player just because of that team and not suspending other players just because they favors the league is the issue I am having with.  They have history against us and a few other teams.  I would expect just a fine and nothing more.  If they are really biased then they would just give a game.  I would hope that they are neutral to this and stay consistent is all I ask for even if they are playing against us and does the same to our players and no discipline is where I draw the line.   Remember, this is a new season and this call is the first hearing in the season and it happens to be us.   Let's see how this goes and if they are consistent, then I'm okay with it.  I am asking for a fair decision for all players in the league in term of a fair justice.  

Now as for phone hearing, maybe they should use the size difference as their defence and ask: if that player is equally stronger and same size, would this type of action happen?  Maybe not.  They should also point out that he does not charge, or even skate for a little bit speed, and all he does is glide and made the hit due to the difference of the size.  Just the first stride and glide, not three/four strides.  Also he tried to use his shoulder to make the hit to his shoulder, and just happened to miss the mark.  Rather than using forearm which would be illegal in boarding penalty and it is not even close to forearm hits to the back.  Maybe the Canucks management team lack lawyering stuff up in the hearing is the reason why we get more suspension than other teams for doing a small stuff that would be normal hits or borderline that other teams get away with and be harsh in the decision against us.  

There's already been two fines handed out this season.

Size really doesn't matter. You can't hit a player directly in the numbers and drive him into the boards like that. Whether you're 5'8" or 6'5" it's an illegal hit. It doesn't help his case that he drove upwards into the hit either. There will be a fine at least, 2 games at most.

4 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here's his hit for comparison 

Kassian, the repeat offender, Will get nothing regardless of him skating from the middle of the ice with infinite chances to "let up". Instead he make a a dangerous play. 

But hey we need to help the oilers. Just like they were helped in the draft for the last decade. What do they need now? 5 more first overall picks?

As neither a fan of the Canucks or the Bruins, my unbiased opinion is that this hit will be a game or two.

Unfortunately, Gudbranson is a victim of an epidemic thats been going around the league for years now where a player purposely turns his back to the defender, both as a way to avoid a hit, as well as a puck protection method.  I dont like players putting themselves in vulnerable positions like that, but its not like this move is relegated to just a few players on a few teams.  All players are doing it now.  Defenders have to adapt accordingly. 

While the Boston player does put himself in a vulnerable position, its still on the defender to make a safe play.  Gudbranson does hit him square in the numbers at a dangerous distance from the boards.  If a player on my team was hit like that, I'd want a suspension.

Considering his history, he might get only a fine, but i wouldn't be surprised if there is a game or two....it is early in the season when punishments seem to be stiffer.

Archived