The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson suspended one game for hit on Frank Vatrano

Apricot

Do you think he could get life for that hit?  The hit was wrong and I know that but REALLY, look what happened to May Ray against Boston - broken back and was there even a penalty?   Look what Chara did to Max Pacioretty in 2011.   He is carried out on a stretcher but oh, a Boston player so no big deal just a little penalty.  

If you are a CANUCK expect the books cuz that is what you are going to get.  

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

What total and absolute crap.

Why the hell would you ever turn your back on a monster in that moment?

Oh, but I'm not surprised. Will probably be the 42nd worst hit of the year, but the only one in the top 50 to get a suspension. Typical.

because players know that it will be an automatic 5 min pp.  It made the difference in that game.

I hope it's either nothing or a fine but being honest with myself I could see up to two games.  I'm fine with our guys get suspended if they make a dirty play, but what I am not fine with is the total inconsistency of the punishments the league hands out.

How hard is it to set parameters and follow them. This this and this equals 1 game this this and this equals a fine. With each occurrence increasing the punishments. It really can't be that hard but the league seems to screw it up time after time.

Let's put it another way if you are speeding they give you a fine based on how much you where speeding and if you have a clean record they might drop it to a warning. The cops don't get together and say well let's fine him $20 then the next guy well let's fine him $40 for the same or similar thing.

Consistency is all I ask. NHL for the love of God just make a chart this will get you this this will get you this. Stop making it up as you go please.

Anyways he deserves punishment but what he got might be enough. I really like Guddy and I don't want to see the league take his mean streak away because he might make a bad hit once in awhile. A docile Guddy will be no good to us.

I have no problem with the hit. Is it a penalty sure. Certainly shouldn't have been a game and will be disgusting prejudice if he gets suspended . He saw the numbers yeah but the intent is to pin him to the boards. This play literally happens every game but a combo of a bad angle and Vatrano not prepared well then you get that result. It's a hockey play and it happens so fast down on the ice. And no I'm not blaming Vatrano but it's a common theme to see players show there numbers whennear the boards because they think that protects them from a hit. I used to do it all the time mucking it up and cycling but I always braced myself and was big enough to absorb the hit. I knew damn well if my back was turned and I  wasnt ready to take the hit that I'd be more mad at myself then the other player.  Unfortunate play, hockey play, nothing to see here. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I notice Lucic went flying in at the end of the play, to play peacemaker. Or was it to make sure Hartman stayed down? 

Lucy wasn't looking to play peacemaker. And he's got that Jacobs smell on him that's like a get out of jail free card.

19 minutes ago, thrago said:

I hope it's either nothing or a fine but being honest with myself I could see up to two games.  I'm fine with our guys get suspended if they make a dirty play, but what I am not fine with is the total inconsistency of the punishments the league hands out.

How hard is it to set parameters and follow them. This this and this equals 1 game this this and this equals a fine. With each occurrence increasing the punishments. It really can't be that hard but the league seems to screw it up time after time.

The NHL is the most inconsistent major sports league on the planet when it comes to officiating and supplementary discipline. There are favorites (original six) and a two tier system at play regarding suspensions. Star players usually have cart blanche and everyone under that tier, it's open season on.

Let's put it another way if you are speeding they give you a fine based on how much you where speeding and if you have a clean record they might drop it to a warning. The cops don't get together and say well let's fine him $20 then the next guy well let's fine him $40 for the same or similar thing.

Consistency is all I ask. NHL for the love of God just make a chart this will get you this this will get you this. Stop making it up as you go please.

As long as people like Bettman and Daly control the league and kowtow to certain GMs, you'll never see it.

Anyways he deserves punishment but what he got might be enough. I really like Guddy and I don't want to see the league take his mean streak away because he might make a bad hit once in awhile. A docile Guddy will be no good to us.

That'll never happen. Ever.

To me, that's probably a 5 minute major and nothing more. It's definitely an illegal hit, but I've seen a lot worse in terms of force. If he gets anything more than two games, I'll be flabbergasted. I'm hoping for just one, but I'm pretty sure that's just a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

To me, that's probably a 5 minute major and nothing more. It's definitely an illegal hit, but I've seen a lot worse in terms of force. If he gets anything more than two games, I'll be flabbergasted. I'm hoping for just one, but I'm pretty sure that's just a pipe dream.

Gudbranson got enough in game, especially with Vatrano returning to the ice. Kassian's was way worse in terms of force, and his reaction right away was one of a kid being caught with his hand inside the candy jar, or in Kassian's case, the liquor cabinet.

In fact, his look was similar to when he broke Gagner's jaw....

10 hours ago, b3. said:

Lol, Kassian murdered Hartman tonight and only gets 2 mins for boarding.

This is the thing...consistency is lacking and so I feel it's a huge issue.

This wasn't malicious on Guddy's part....big, physical player going in against a smaller guy who was heading one way but attempting to go another.  I'm not against assessment of this, just that this better not result in anything like what we've seen in the past.  Where we get 20 games for something that another guy gets 2 minutes for.  It's got to stop if they ever want to clean up the league or have any credibility.

Fact that there wasn't an injury as well.

I'm with Travis and his train of thought on this one....

9 hours ago, Shekky said:

during the broadcast they talked about another player who did something similar but only 3 minutes or something anyone else remember what they had said about it?

Anyways I agree with the punishment all those goals going in Gudbranson probably kicking himself for what cost the team. If I was TG he'd be a healthy scratch for a few games. Cost the team big tonight.

You'd make a great coach. Scratch a top four defenseman when you're already down a top four defenseman.....

9 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

And no, the Kassian hit was not worse. Hartman was turning around to face Kassian and stopped short causing him to get him in the back part of his shoulder.  If Hartman had continued to turn it would have been a legal hit, however Kassian got excited and committed to the hit too early.   A dirty hit, could have been a major, but it was not suspendable by any means

The Gudbranson hit there was never any doubt he was going to plow right into the back of his torso.  Have no idea what he was thinking.

Kassian got excited.....great summarization.

10 hours ago, Toews said:

Should be 2 games. His numbers were visible the entire time, you can't make that hit. Someone mentioned Kassian on Hartman, that was a hit more to the side than right into the numbers.

have to disagree a bit here. Vatrano isn't square to the boards, he actually goes into them with his left shoulder first. Guddy's hit is a bit more to the left. I think they'll key on on one of his skates being off the ice and use that to give him 2 games, which is essentially a 3 game suspension. 

He got him on the numbers, he was ejected early in the game almost a 1 game suspension. the player hit  returned for the rest of the game. semi truck hits SUV, suv gets totalled. Best case a warning and a fine worst case two games. He's a Canucks so three games. 

10 hours ago, Toews said:

The only bit of motion he makes is to make a pass otherwise his back is turned pretty much the entire time. I am not sure if this is a suspendable hit but it was deserving of 5 and a game. Gudbranson could see his numbers the whole way through.

Yup, definitely an illegal hit, I agree. The 5 and game that early and the resulting advantage Boston gained should be enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had an extra game added on.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did this not amount to a call from those scumbags at the DOPS? Kassian is a repeat offender, and his reaction is one of a guy who knew it all along. 

But it's the Oilers and the team that has Mcdavid is good for business in the NHL. 

Anyone who justifies this hit but thinks Gudbranson's is worse is huffing glue. 

its actually quite similar. What bugs me is the idea that there was intent to injure called by the refs, I really don't see how thats justified. But I've dropped the idea of consistency in ref'ing a long time ago. 

Archived