The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Montreal is no good

Odd.

4 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

They started off like 10-0-0 last year and missed the playoffs. So I am sure they can start off 1-6-1 and make the playoffs this year. It is too early to tell yet.

BUT... that being said... it's highly unlikely. I agree with you - stale core. Montreal and Vancouver are very similar teams - but Montreal is behind by about 3 years.

Montreal came first in the division and list out to NY in the crossover game.

He was like one of those GM's in NHL18 that makes a few trades too many. I think this is also an example that trades aren't always the way to build. 

With the pieces in Montreal, at least they can be traded to speed up the rebuild. 

Maybe CDC fans should take this to heart, when wanting to sell the farm for 1-2 superstars in trades. 

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He was like one of those GM's in NHL18 that makes a few trades too many. I think this is also an example that trades aren't always the way to build. 

With the pieces in Montreal, at least they can be traded to speed up the rebuild. 

Maybe CDC fans should take this to heart, when wanting to sell the farm for 1-2 superstars in trades. 

Drouin’s a superstar?  In my mind his offence doesn’t even come close to covering for his horrific defensive play.  He hurts team more than he helps them.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the ownership has said no more trades, considering how badly the Weber for Subban, and Drouin for Sergachev deals turned out?

I can understand the Drouin trade given the meh offence but Weber for Subban makes no sense at all (from a hockey pov). I've always disliked Bergevin, he's an arrogant you-know-what and given way too much credit. 

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tearing everything down after 8 bad games seems a tad extreme, doesn't it?

Pretty much, They had more points than any other Canadian team apart from Edmonton (tied) last season, and will likely end up with more than us this year. Sure, they have issues, and there's lots to fix, but with all the years of success they had they're bound to have some pretty marginal ones too. I'm not sure it's accurate to say they're the worst Canadian team.

8 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

They started off like 10-0-0 last year and missed the playoffs. So I am sure they can start off 1-6-1 and make the playoffs this year. It is too early to tell yet.

BUT... that being said... it's highly unlikely. I agree with you - stale core. Montreal and Vancouver are very similar teams - but Montreal is behind by about 3 years.

No they aren't.  They will tank one year and move up 3-5 places and get their 1rst overall pick to build the new core around

I think Bergevin is a dolt for the Subban trade and he should be canned.  

That said you don't need to tear the entire franchise to the ground just because you lose a few games.  They need to build up a younger crew but that doesn't necessitate a fire sale. A younger group can come in to support some vets that they keep.  

The "scorched earth is the way to win" narrative is just nauseating.  

Looking at who the Habs have under contract, I could see them deciding to say "blow it up", if their team isn't doing well by January. If not a full blow up, I could see them trying to do surgical strikes on older players with the bigger contracts. They are a team that "suddenly looks old", even with the addition of a guy like Drouin.

They currently have about $9 million in cap space, but they are going to have a lot of that eaten up by Price (going from $6.5 million to $10.5 million next season). 

Who would/could they move if they decide to re-start?

- Chances are the Habs won't re-sign Plekanec (34 yrs old) in part because he will be a 35+ contract. Maybe they try to move him at the TDL, but in any event I have doubts that he will be back with Montreal at $6 million per season. Hemsky may not be back either. This gives them some wiggle room on a cap space for bad contract and picks/prospects type of deal. 

- Weber (32 yrs old) is an obvious choice for consideration. The Habs could move him and take on additional salary if there is enough of a return (picks/prospects). Not having a NTC/NMC makes him vulnerable.The term of his deal will make him a bit bulletproof and perhaps reduce the return. Moving Weber makes their defense even worse, so the return would really have to good for Montreal to do this.

- Price (30 yrs old) has a new deal coming into effect next season ($10.5 million). He also has a modified NTC/NMC clause in his deal. He would get a big return in picks/prospects, but Montreal would have to eat a lot of salary and/or take on a lot from the other team. He's still relatively young so if he gets moved I imagine that it would be at his request.

So, to my eye, the only two guys they could trade for a lot are both going to be difficult to trade because of their contracts. I don't see Montreal wanting to trade Galchenyuk or any of their other young prospects or players, or high picks. 

regards,  G.

Nothing is gonna change with Habs until they drop this notion that GM, Head Coach must be french. All to please special interest group. Political BS. Molson is awful owner who knows nothing about hockey and only cares about making $$.

I can't understand why Price decided to re-sign. He ain't gonna win a Cup in Montreal or even make the Finals. His new contract doesn't start until next season, so why not request a trade (Patrick Roy). 

People go on about Weber for PK trade. Bergevin has made worst trades in Drouin for Sergachev, who has 8 pts in 9 games and Sven Andrighetto for Andreas Martinsen. Look at his track record of awful FA signings: Semin, Briere, Hemsky, Streit, Shaw, list goes on and on. He prides himself on D, always stockpiling but it is so dreadful. Much worst right now then last year or any other season since he's been GM. Letting Radulov walk was a huge mistake for a team so desperate for goal scoring. 5+ yrs and Beregvin still hasn't addressed scoring or acquired #1C. Habs have approx $8.4 in cap space due to Radulov and Markov leaving which can be used to make a significant move but he doesn't seem in any hurry to use it. I'm willing to bet he's saving it for off-season should Tavares still be un-signed and available. Putting all his eggs in 1 basket. Habs will have approx $14 million in cap space available with contracts expiring after season.

Marc Beregvin is worst then Rejean Houle ever was.

13 hours ago, fivethej said:

Nothing is gonna change with Habs until they drop this notion that GM, Head Coach must be french. All to please special interest group. Political BS. Molson is awful owner who knows nothing about hockey and only cares about making $$.

I can't understand why Price decided to re-sign. He ain't gonna win a Cup in Montreal or even make the Finals. His new contract doesn't start until next season, so why not request a trade (Patrick Roy). 

People go on about Weber for PK trade. Bergevin has made worst trades in Drouin for Sergachev, who has 8 pts in 9 games and Sven Andrighetto for Andreas Martinsen. Look at his track record of awful FA signings: Semin, Briere, Hemsky, Streit, Shaw, list goes on and on. He prides himself on D, always stockpiling but it is so dreadful. Much worst right now then last year or any other season since he's been GM. Letting Radulov walk was a huge mistake for a team so desperate for goal scoring. 5+ yrs and Beregvin still hasn't addressed scoring or acquired #1C. Habs have approx $8.4 in cap space due to Radulov and Markov leaving which can be used to make a significant move but he doesn't seem in any hurry to use it. I'm willing to bet he's saving it for off-season should Tavares still be un-signed and available. Putting all his eggs in 1 basket. Habs will have approx $14 million in cap space available with contracts expiring after season.

Marc Beregvin is worst then Rejean Houle ever was.

Even Gainey had to get out of that place. It's as toxic as CDC at times. ;)

On 10/21/2017 at 2:25 AM, DonaldBrashear said:

There's an old quote somewhere that you can't make the playoffs by US Thanksgiving, but you can sure as hell miss them.

Archived