The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett: Character guy gets his day in the sun

*Buzzsaw*

Gotta say I am really happy to see Derek Dorsett get rewarded for all his hard work and grit.

After all he went through last year and this summer... suffering through a spinal rehab...  the times people counted him out and doubted his ability to play.

He has proven his doubters wrong... "Using his body like a rental..."  that line is going to be his epitaph.  B)

And playing smart, not taking stupid penalties, but still keeping the opposing team off balance and acting as almost the only remaining Canuck 'Tough Guy'.

And now showing a scoring touch... even a little playmaking.

He is doing a hell of a job filling in for recently departed character guys...  Burr and Hansen are missed but Dorsett has stepped up. 

Considering the grumblings going on about him taking a roster spot given the team is rolling four lines he's sure shown determination not to be the next guy chopped from the lineup or the team.   His energy is infectious, and I'm happy for him.  Read about his surgery and the symptoms that he lived with to make the procedure necessary, he's a warrior.

Gotta say I was in the move out Dorsett camp. He is making me eat a big ol plate of humble pie. It's not that I thought he wasn't good, just that we needed the spot. He has been great and I am happy to see him having success after his injury. Playing with Jake is great too, he can rub off on Jake in a good way.

21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I said elsewhere, he's playing like a man who almost lost it all and is in a contract year. 

I hope he keeps it up and a team overpays him in him in free agency next summer. Dude deserves it.

He has one more year of contract after this season in 2019. 

Archived