The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett: Character guy gets his day in the sun

*Buzzsaw*

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gotta say I was in the move out Dorsett camp. He is making me eat a big ol plate of humble pie. It's not that I thought he wasn't good, just that we needed the spot. He has been great and I am happy to see him having success after his injury. Playing with Jake is great too, he can rub off on Jake in a good way.

Absolutely about Jake.  JV has also been a treat to watch all year, and if part of that is playing with guys like Dorsett than keep it going.  Goaltender has been suspect, but other than that so far this year this team isn't really as bad as I thought it was going to be, and a big part of that is Boeser, JV, Dorsett and MDZ, plus Travis Green been true to his word and rolling four lines which is difficult to match up against.  

Two years ago my grandsons and some of the local boys were playing road hockey in front of the house when a woman walked by and stopped to watch. She probably watched for about 10 minutes and even had words of encouragement for the boys every time they did something. She left but returned a short time later and called the boys over. She handed each of them a signed Derek Dorsett hockey card and proudly told the kids her son played in the NHL and he used to play road hockey just like they were doing.

None of the kids knew who Derek Dorsett was as we live in Calgary but the kids were happy to have a signed hockey card. I was impressed that she would go out of her way to make such an impression on kids that she did not know and I think I now know where some of Derek's character comes from.

I've always been a Dorsett supporter, love what he brings on the ice, but I have been willing to conceed he was overpaid for a "bottom 6 energy guy." 

Good skater, tenacious on the forecheck, sticks up for his teammates..etc.

Well Dorsey's flipped the script so far.

Nobody was expecting him to be a scoring machine, and an even more effective checker AFTER a neck surgery. 

Guy's a beauty

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Two years ago my grandsons and some of the local boys were playing road hockey in front of the house when a woman walked by and stopped to watch. She probably watched for about 10 minutes and even had words of encouragement for the boys every time they did something. She left but returned a short time later and called the boys over. She handed each of them a signed Derek Dorsett hockey card and proudly told the kids her son played in the NHL and he used to play road hockey just like they were doing.

None of the kids knew who Derek Dorsett was as we live in Calgary but the kids were happy to have a signed hockey card. I was impressed that she would go out of her way to make such an impression on kids that she did not know and I think I now know where some of Derek's character comes from.

there's some really really dedicated hockey mom's out there ,they know the game , they motivate you, they cook hi carb meals when your really getting serious ,there a sounding board when your whinning about a loss, they brag about you, they scream and holler from the stands and embarrass you. hockey mom's RULE !    I know i had one. god bless her.

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Great story. I would think most of the guys in the NHL had some kind of super character of a parent.  It takes so much family effort  / committment / character  to support a child  through high performance support for many years.  Great story. 

This proves that constant hard work and hustle can get the job done.  So many critics seem to need glaring superstars in a line up or they write it off as a bust, but the supporting cast is pretty important.  I've said from day one that DD is all in every shift and this is the result of that.  Good things happen when you work hard and DD is proving that.  Love the guy (and Guddy).

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Beautiful story... truly inspirational. 

Wonderful to hear about people going out of their way to give to others.

Yes absolutely right. No doubting where the Character stems from... +1

Since he's an older player, I'm sure there are still "fans" waiting for him to get cold so they can crap on him.

The odds of every older player starting hot is very slim. The fact that it is a long season and injuries will happen doesn't stop people from penciling in a line-up of their favorite players. That means that any player not favoured is open to attack. If Dorsett didn't start hot, he would be our main scapegoat right now.

DD is Sask. made , I always like his Grit , I maintained that that if he grew anither 4 inch and 20lbs he could be a top enforcer, But with the way the NHL is changing , faster more agile, he is the epitamy of the new tough guy. Energy, scoring, PKing, and got the back of all his mates on the ice. Fearless. gotta luv that.

I also wondered about his come back after surgery and was almost ready to write him off.

TG got all 4 lines rolling and we be scoring by comittee, gotta luv it. having DD in the top points getter is AWSOME

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Character and toughness are required elements for a balanced roster. 

I was thrilled when we got this guy, just wished it was way sooner. 

He's not quite a 189lb enforcer like say Rypien R.I.P., but he's close isn't he?  

Reminds me a little of Scotty Walker although not as good of a fighter, because he's willing to punch well above his weight class and actually can play the game too

Dorsett can sniff 30 points with limited minutes, with the extra ice time who knows.  Good on Green to play him more, he earned after he shadowed Mcdavid in Gaineyesque fashion.

I also appreciate and believe you need guys like him in the lineup, the more the better.  Guddy also brings this, as does JV.  Our team has been soft for years, it's nice to see management feels Dorsett is too important to give his minutes to a fringe or younger player AND that they rewarded JV a spot over other more offense oriented guys.

You can see it every shift - Dorsett lives to wreak havoc on the ice.

Can just imagine what last season felt like - a career threatening injury really - and can only imagine how hard he busted it to get back into the kind of condition you need to be in to play the game the way he does.

Awesome to see him back and able to to what he does - people seriously underestimated what he brings - the attitude with some people was 'meh, no big deal, just a bottom six grinder, no real loss.'   Not so.

53 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Since he's an older player, I'm sure there are still "fans" waiting for him to get cold so they can crap on him.

The odds of every older player starting hot is very slim. The fact that it is a long season and injuries will happen doesn't stop people from penciling in a line-up of their favorite players. That means that any player not favoured is open to attack. If Dorsett didn't start hot, he would be our main scapegoat right now.

Probably right because Goldobin is a top prospect that should be playing with the Sedins and Dahlen should be here too ( even though SJ has one of the second worst pool in the league and Goldy was their third best prospect, and Dahlen wasn't sniffing top five it Ottawa ) Lind also probably would get fifty points on the second line because THN had him ranked 23 and we stole him on last year's draft.  Also Jonah G should be on the third or fourth line, and because Green is rolling the lines equally he would easily get 40 points and twenty goals, something Sutter has only done once in his career.

Demko should also be the starter, Markstroms mediocre at best and it's time we moved on, he's at least a top five goalie already so let's play him.

Juolevi should he called up right away given Edler is out, then he would have a chance to battle Boeser for the Calder and probably out battle Karlsson for your Norris too.

Something like that right?

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Who voted you to be speaking for the rest of us fans?

Learn to speak for yourself, thanks. 

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's not quite a 189lb enforcer like say Rypien R.I.P., but he's close isn't he?  

Reminds me a little of Scotty Walker although not as good of a fighter, because he's willing to punch well above his weight class and actually can play the game too

Dorsett can sniff 30 points with limited minutes, with the extra ice time who knows.  Good on Green to play him more, he earned after he shadowed Mcdavid in Gaineyesque fashion.

I also appreciate and believe you need guys like him in the lineup, the more the better.  Guddy also brings this, as does JV.  Our team has been soft for years, it's nice to see management feels Dorsett is too important to give his minutes to a fringe or younger player AND that they rewarded JV a spot over other more offense oriented guys.

DD is a hockey player. He may fight and hit, but some of us know him as a contributor and not just for his physicality. The more the better, I agree. The Canucks got away from these kind of players and elements of the game for a long time.

Great see the DD and Guddy getting some recognition for making the Canucks games better to watch. The days of bully and victim hockey appear to be over. 

Archived