*Buzzsaw*

Derek Dorsett: Character guy gets his day in the sun

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who voted you to be speaking for the rest of us fans?

Learn to speak for yourself, thanks. 

 

Comprehension issues?

 

At what point did I speak for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Two years ago my grandsons and some of the local boys were playing road hockey in front of the house when a woman walked by and stopped to watch. She probably watched for about 10 minutes and even had words of encouragement for the boys every time they did something. She left but returned a short time later and called the boys over. She handed each of them a signed Derek Dorsett hockey card and proudly told the kids her son played in the NHL and he used to play road hockey just like they were doing.

None of the kids knew who Derek Dorsett was as we live in Calgary but the kids were happy to have a signed hockey card. I was impressed that she would go out of her way to make such an impression on kids that she did not know and I think I now know where some of Derek's character comes from.

Fantastic share Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you go back to the final roster cuts poll ,it was like "put him on ir"   " waive him" " trade him"  but to be fair who knew he 'd come out like this . hope he doesn't get hurt again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked DD's contribution, but felt bad for him that he had to be the only 'tough guy' on the team.  A healthy Guddy is helping to ease off on DD's role and I would think it is increasing his focus on other aspects of his game.  After recovering from a broken neck, Derek has a new lease on life and a whole lot of confidence.  I couldn't be happier for him.

 

A lot of fans were always questioning DD's salary cap, but when you look at the vets in the same income, you can see that he's paid at the right scale.  Wies, Martin, Vrbata, Stajan, Colburn, Chimira, Borrows and Comeau.  I would say that Derek is at the top of that list (some will say Burr, but clearly the rest are below him). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derek earns every penny of his contract. It’s the top players that are overpaid and that is killing the middle class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chon derry said:

if you go back to the final roster cuts poll ,it was like "put him on ir"   " waive him" " trade him"  but to be fair who knew he 'd come out like this . hope he doesn't get hurt again

No one could have predicted this, but the IR/Waiver thing was still dumb I think. Anyone who watched last year should have been able to tell plain as day how much we missed Dorsett once he got hurt. He's the motor in our bottom six most nights.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

No one could have predicted this, but the IR/Waiver thing was still dumb I think. Anyone who watched last year should have been able to tell plain as day how much we missed Dorsett once he got hurt. He's the motor in our bottom six most nights.

torres  "lite"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Lite on the dirty play, at least :goat:

he seems a little more dialed in than before , the time off made him hungrier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So of our current roster of 22 skaters,

an incredible 13 were first round picks.

 

Yet Dorsett picked in the 7th round @ 189

is our leading scorer?

 

Wow and yikes at the same time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I was certainly concerned prior to the season, whether Dorsett could continue to play the way he had and needs to, after the surgery he had. 

 

Pleased to see any fears I had were unfounded and he's playing just like old DD.

Actually, he's playing better than old DD. He's kinda reminding me of Hansen. A fast skating, hard checking 4th liner whose hands finally caught up with his wheels at a point in his career when many players are past their prime and clearly declining.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So of our current roster of 22 skaters,

an incredible 13 were first round picks.

 

Yet Dorsett picked in the 7th round @ 189

is our leading scorer?

 

Wow and yikes at the same time.

 

 

Was it not the same with Hansen last year, shortly into the season. Maybe I'm mistaken, but seem to remember something like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really don't like Dorsett.  The last season he was over paid for what he brought.

Right now his pace is unrealistic and will level off.

 

He is penalty minute leader and that is something to be worried about.

 

I am happy he is healthy and contributing.  May he have continued success.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammertime said:

DD gonna be worth a fortune come deadline

Is he on the last year of his contract?  If so, he could fetch a late first maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is he on the last year of his contract?  If so, he could fetch a late first maybe.

I wasn't serious Derek is more important to the rebuild than the Sedins  IMO. Somebody has to show the kids how to play hard.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked DD as a hockey player, team mate and a person. I don't fault him on his contract as I would have said yes to it as well. We all would!  I'm glad his value to the Canucks has increased presumably with more fitting players on his line.  

 

Thankfully our coach is using his strengths and is working out well. Wish him the best for the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, he's playing better than old DD. He's kinda reminding me of Hansen. A fast skating, hard checking 4th liner whose hands finally caught up with his wheels at a point in his career when many players are past their prime and clearly declining.

Actually, Hansen is a much better skater than Dorsett, he's got a better shot and he hits harder. Other than that, Dorsett is exactly like Hansen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Two years ago my grandsons and some of the local boys were playing road hockey in front of the house when a woman walked by and stopped to watch. She probably watched for about 10 minutes and even had words of encouragement for the boys every time they did something. She left but returned a short time later and called the boys over. She handed each of them a signed Derek Dorsett hockey card and proudly told the kids her son played in the NHL and he used to play road hockey just like they were doing.

None of the kids knew who Derek Dorsett was as we live in Calgary but the kids were happy to have a signed hockey card. I was impressed that she would go out of her way to make such an impression on kids that she did not know and I think I now know where some of Derek's character com

18 hours ago, chon derry said:

there's some really really dedicated hockey mom's out there ,they know the game , they motivate you, they cook hi carb meals when your really getting serious ,there a sounding board when your whinning about a loss, they brag about you, they scream and holler from the stands and embarrass you. hockey mom's RULE !    I know i had one. god bless her.

I have a hockey mom, and I want my wife to be a hockey mom. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.