The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yet another Sedin Stat - Daniel.

danjr

Well over the years I love to dig out all kinds of weird stats for the twins.

This is a kind of short one on Daniel.

6865 players have played in the NHL.

3940 players have scored a game winning goal.

800 players have scored one.

1452 have scored 10

737 have scored a quarter of a season worth of wins.  (21 round up)

233 have scored half a seasons worth and a plethora of Canucks are right there.  Linden, Bert, Morrison, Gelinas and a few more at 41

Only 62 players have three quarters of a season worth of GWG.

Daniel is in exclusive company of 82 Game Winning Goals.  He is the 32nd player to hit this number.  A few gooad active players ahead of him, but few anywhere near him.  So he should move up the list a bit more.

I think that is pretty awesome to think you have been part of winning that many games for your team.

Wish I could see a break down of most for a team.  He could be right up there.

Anyways hope you like the Cliff Claveness of this.

Awesome stat. I love this kind of stuff.

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm not going to do the work to find out if this is true but if it is, and you really did dig through all those stats to find these numbers yourself, I hope you're in a position to be well compensated to do so.

Pretty sure you could just find it on NHL.com by looking at all-time GWGs.

7 hours ago, danjr said:

Well over the years I love to dig out all kinds of weird stats for the twins.

This is a kind of short one on Daniel.

6865 players have played in the NHL.

3940 players have scored a game winning goal.

800 players have scored one.

1452 have scored 10

737 have scored a quarter of a season worth of wins.  (21 round up)

233 have scored half a seasons worth and a plethora of Canucks are right there.  Linden, Bert, Morrison, Gelinas and a few more at 41

Only 62 players have three quarters of a season worth of GWG.

Daniel is in exclusive company of 82 Game Winning Goals.  He is the 32nd player to hit this number.  A few gooad active players ahead of him, but few anywhere near him.  So he should move up the list a bit more.

I think that is pretty awesome to think you have been part of winning that many games for your team.

Wish I could see a break down of most for a team.  He could be right up there.

Anyways hope you like the Cliff Claveness of this.

What he might be the all-time leader in is the percentage of his goals amoung that group of 32 guys that are actually game winners.  One in four is pretty extreme.  Carter is like that too, but he may be on top with guys that have played 1200 or so games and are in the top thirty...

Why should that matter???

Because the entire point of this thread is that he's scored 82 game-winning goals (and, therefore, is the most amazing player EVER!).  But, those 82 game-winning goals might not be so amazing.  If he got all the team's best power-play time for more than a decade, he should have scored an absolute ton of GWG's (seeing as roughly every 6th goal is going to be a game-winner).

He has played 1,232 games - and spent an average of 3 to 4min a game on the PP.

That's 4 to 5,000 minutes on the powerplay over his career.

That's an entire season of hockey.  On the powerplay.  Where he played every single shift.  But, he doesn't play every single PP shift.  He only gets around half of them.  So, that's like 2+ entire years worth of powerplay time.

I should hope he got 82 GWG's after spending two year's worth of time on the man-advantage!

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Because the entire point of this thread is that he's scored 82 game-winning goals (and, therefore, is the most amazing player EVER!).  But, those 82 game-winning goals might not be so amazing.  If he got all the team's best power-play time for more than a decade, he should have scored an absolute ton of GWG's (seeing as roughly every 6th goal is going to be a game-winner).

That's an entire season of hockey.  On the powerplay.  Where he played every single shift.  But, he doesn't play every single PP shift.  He only gets around half of them.  So, that's like 2+ entire years worth of powerplay time.

I should hope he got 82 GWG's after spending two year's worth of time on the man-advantage!

Why the motivation to discredit Daniel's GWG?  Gretzky only has 9 more GWG and do you think he wasn't on every power play for at least 15 straight years?  Just appreciate a fine achievement.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Why the motivation to discredit Daniel's GWG?  Gretzky only has 9 more GWG and do you think he wasn't on every power play for at least 15 straight years?  Just appreciate a fine achievement.

No doubt.  Also for most of their careers they've piled up most of their points 5 on 5 with the exception of their banner seasons when it was tops or near tops in the league.   In comparison Ovi and other stars (Weber)  get half their points on the power play and there are plenty of second and third liners that don't get the time and get more points 5 on 5. 

One season Bieksa was the leader five on five as a defenseman.  The Sedins never padded their stats like other stars, even when they had their best seasons they were far from 50/50 like some guys.  Simmonds is probably the current best example of feasting on the pp.

The logic in trying to discredit this achievement doesn't stand up to fact checking by using the power play as a reason.

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

The Sedins didn't get top PP minutes until Naslund left so I doubt they have averaged 3-4 minutes a game, plus AV used the second unit heavily starting in 2011 when the league figured them out, which was part of the reason we did so well as both units were affective.  

I do get that maybe there is some frustration over how much time they get given the actual production the last five years, and would be all for a change but we simply haven't had the players although Vanek and Boeser should help with that, plus a new/old PP coach.

Over the years I've marvelled at how Daniel keeps doing it with his game winners.  It's not like he's even close to 500 goals, there is loads of guys who have reached that milestone, many not even in the HHOF, yet he's managed to have a massively disproportionate amount of GWG.   Some guys just have the IT factor, and he's one of them big time.   

44 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Alright Debbie Downer... we get it. You're not impressed....

6 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

That's actually a lame argument to downplay his accomplishment. The same can be said of every top line player. It's not like Danny is the only one in NHL history to have the advantage of PP time. Every star player has that advantage.

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Daniel would have more if the referees or league ever gave a crap about protecting the Sedins a little bit. 

I have watched a LOT of games in my time.  The Sedins get less than zero respect from the league and refs.  The amount of penalties they get assessed as well as how many should be called against them that aren't.  Makes me beyond upset at the officials.

Archived