The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Detroit Red Wings

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Fantastic game for Virtanen. His conditioning looks miles better than it was in Utica last season when he could barely handle a 30 second shift, and his shots are hitting the net too. Missing high/wide was a problem with the Comets. Looks like a focused player who compliments the Sedins really well and can benefit off of their passing.

6 hours ago, khay said:

The most dominating game so far this season. Detroit isn't a very good team but being able to dominate them is a good sign.

The first line is rolling nicely.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Checking the ice time for the F's, everyone is between 13:30 and 17:09. Talk about a balanced game.

Saw the game late by myself on PVR again. Nice to be able share the experience with other fans on CDC on a time-shifted basis by reading posts and then adding my own comments. So here goes.

1. Not much doubt this was the best game of season so far,  as noted by @khay. The Canucks were good against Buffalo but tonight was a more complete game. No soft goals, no big individual mistakes, no lulls. Everyone seemed very focused. Detroit is struggling, but if the Canucks play like this consistently they will win a lot of games.

2. Agree with the comments of @stonecoldstevebernier on Virtanen. This was without question the best game I have seen him play as a Canuck. I agree he looked very focused and was very consistent. Looks like a different player from what he seemed like before. No flybys, no big turns, no coasting. And in his interviews he actually seems much more likable -- more humble, more appreciative for the chance he is getting. He has had some adversity in his hockey career, but maybe it will help in the long run.  He had a lot of chances tonight and was actually a bit unlucky to have "only" one goal. But it is great to see that first one go in. And the reverse hit on Kronwall was also great to see.

3. I was also struck by how balanced theforwards'  ice time was, as shown by @Jimmy McGill. And if we drop Horvat's 17:09 out, the next most ice time was 15:52 for Granlund. In previous games Green has shortened the bench in the third period (and of course special teams contribute to unbalanced ice time). But tonight I guess Green thought that every line was doing its job effectively. The weakest line was the Burmi line (with Vanek and Gagner) but they were still okay.

4. In the accolades on CDC for Jake and Dorsett and Baertschi, Boeser did not get a lot of attention. But I was very impressed by his play. He made a very nice play on the first goal and that line (with Baertschi and Horvat) looked dangerous every shift. Even though Baer had two goals and Horvat had two assists, they could have  had more.

5. Marky had a solid game, although he was not severely tested. I breathed a sigh or relief when he made that first save (on a pretty tough chance).

6. As for the D, I was very impressed by Hutton. I thought this was his best game of the season. Playing with Tanev on the top pairing he looked very good (as did Tanev). Guddy was good and I liked Stecher's game before he was hurt. Hope he is okay. Pouliot made some nice offensive play but, to me, looks a bit shaky in his own zone at times.

7. When pretty much the entire team has a very solid game, as they did tonight, you have to think that the coach deserves a lot of credit. I continue to be impressed by Green.

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

the only defenceman to constantly pinch out of position ,not to keep the puck in the o zone but to use the oppositions momentum  as the play is moving out , dirty   good to see virt with his head up and foil this d-ck heads cheap sh!t

How is that dirty?

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

Good parenting.

One thing stands out for me here.

Last year any post game interview of Jake involved a bright red balloon face gasping for air despite his playing low minutes and usually not many shifts in the 3rd.

It is obvious, to me at any rate this boy has taken on board the criticisms of his fitness and conditioning and is coping with the game all the more for it. His whole manner is different and more professional imo.

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Jakes best NHL game so far in his young career. He was flying tonight. 

Agree 100% - what I really like is Green putting him with the Sedins. You could see it when they were on the bench together tonight - the old guard giving the young kid some helpful advice etc. Love the mentoring role they are playing with him.

Jake had a great game. I still see him coasting without the puck more than I'd like to see, but he's getting there. His offensive instincts are off the charts, tho. Eight shots! I think he's perfect with the Twins. 

Green really seems to know who's on and off every night and plays them accordingly. Our team is trending in the right direction with the rebuild. Each year we should improve until we can contend when our top prospects are on the team. 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

One thing stands out for me here.

Last year any post game interview of Jake involved a bright red balloon face gasping for air despite his playing low minutes and usually not many shifts in the 3rd.

It is obvious, to me at any rate this boy has taken on board the criticisms of his fitness and conditioning and is coping with the game all the more for it. His whole manner is different and more professional imo.

The wings certainly did not play well and all our guys were really skating yet jake still stood out as a player who created offensive space for himself with his speed meanwhile being able to get back.

he had some decent shots last night as a result of getting in the clear through positioning and his quickness.

and you're right 100% about the way he is carrying himself.

this is great for us as fans and his team.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

How is that dirty?

I don't like the way Kronwall hits either, leads with his ass targeting guys with head down constantly. Not saying it's an illegal play but I don't like it. Good to see Jake sit'em'down!

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

5. Marky had a solid game, although he was not severely tested. I breathed a sigh or relief when he made that first save (on a pretty tough chance).

I wonder sometimes if having a tough chance as the first shot makes a difference.  Gets Markstrom out of the thinking zone and into the reaction zone.

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Gudbranson is quietly being the shutdown, physical D men people wanted to see.  

He's been awesome, better than I'd expected.  Not only very calm under pressure, but able to make quick moves in-tight to get and move the puck -- something you don't typically see from big men but more guys like Stecher.  Kindof like Salo, when he goes after the puck, you just have that feeling he's going to retrieve and get it out of the zone.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

4. In the accolades on CDC for Jake and Dorsett and Baertschi, Boeser did not get a lot of attention. But I was very impressed by his play. He made a very nice play on the first goal and that line (with Baertschi and Horvat) looked dangerous every shift. Even though Baer had two goals and Horvat had two assists, they could have  had more.

He has great hockey instincts and puck control.  Like there, he has the knack of lifting sticks and making steals to recover pucks, then keep them in traffic and make plays to open teammates.  He's much more than just a shooter.

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Jake had a great game. I still see him coasting without the puck more than I'd like to see, but he's getting there. His offensive instincts are off the charts, tho. Eight shots! I think he's perfect with the Twins. 

Green really seems to know who's on and off every night and plays them accordingly. Our team is trending in the right direction with the rebuild. Each year we should improve until we can contend when our top prospects are on the team. 

Green's very encouraging debut to NHL coaching has a solid base. I suspect he is making regular phone calls back to the Smokeater brain trust in Trail. Many Trail team I watched were coldly methodical about how they played. Fast and tenacious on the puck with the right dash of physicality. Mentally hard to play against.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As I said rolling a line only works when canucks have a healthy lead.  How’s it looking over the first 8 games.  Hmmm....

Still pretty even depending on PK, PP etc. That's how. 

The lines are rolling and the Sedins minutes have been reduced and spread around just as they should be.

About the only guy consistently getting less minutes was Virtanen. And as he continues to adapt and improve, that will and has changed too. 

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Still pretty even depending on PK, PP etc. That's how. 

The lines are rolling and the Sedins minutes have been reduced and spread around just as they should be.

About the only guy consistently getting less minutes was Virtanen. And as he continues to adapt and improve, that will and has changed too. 

There's a 9 minute difference between the top ranked forward and the lowest ice time forward.  No matter how you want to slice it that's not even.  Like I said would happen. 

FYI...PP and PK come into consideration when looking at TOI.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, wtf?   The NHL doesn't want people sharing highlights from the NHL.   Are they trying to avoid growing their product?   

On an NHL forum page no less. Another example of a corporation just not getting how modern media works. 

57 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's been awesome, better than I'd expected.  Not only very calm under pressure, but able to make quick moves in-tight to get and move the puck -- something you don't typically see from big men but more guys like Stecher.  Kindof like Salo, when he goes after the puck, you just have that feeling he's going to retrieve and get it out of the zone.

You should have expected more :P Guddy is the real deal. 

49 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Best game of the season for the canucks! 

Not sure if it's been posted already, but does anybody have a link for Virtanen's hit on Kronwall? Botchford wrote that Jake trucked him in the 3rd, but I don't really remember seeing it.

Every page if this thread bit this one lol

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

and its not "punishment" is easing Jake into a being a complete player. So far so good. 

Archived