The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Detroit Red Wings

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

It's their battle level and smart little plays/passes to use each other which stand out over other years.   I don't miss Eriksson at all because he seemed to reach in and lose every battle.  No one looked lazy last night.

Hows that new rink in Detroit?  I remember going from the Pacific Coliseum to Rogers Arena and felt like the place lacked the character and soul of the old place...that and the smell of gourmet stir frys and lattes made the place feel more like a hotel venue!  

12 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Hows that new rink in Detroit?  I remember going from the Pacific Coliseum to Rogers Arena and felt like the place lacked the character and soul of the old place...that and the smell of gourmet stir frys and lattes made the place feel more like a hotel venue!  

Loved it!   No comparison to the Joe as the area around the new one is right in the entertainment district and has way more amenities inside.  Also there's a mezzanine level as well as gondalas, which along with the upper level, are much steeper for better viewing (saw Paul McCartney from the upper level a couple weeks ago).

Plus the main level concourse is at ground level, whereas at the Joe you had to go up 2-3 stories of stairs just to get inside.

Another cool aspect is the scoreboard.  The inside is hollow, and there are TOI and other stats on the INSIDE screens for you to look at (lower level angle only I'm guessing) 

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

I wouldn't trade DD for McDavid... 

Don't like Connor's contract. DD will be making 1/5th of McDavid money next year and out scoring him. 

GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Apollo just went full Apollo....Apollo?

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There's a 9 minute difference between the top ranked forward and the lowest ice time forward.  No matter how you want to slice it that's not even.  Like I said would happen.

screen-shot-2017-10-22-at-8-09-33-pm.png

FYI...PP and PK come into consideration when looking at TOI.

With only three penalties last night it became more obvious.  But the fact remains -- 5v5 he's rolling the lines pretty effectively, and the right players are leading in TOI as they should.  Jake's being eased in and his TOI will increase, but can anyone argue with that 5V5 deployment? 

Anyone??

42 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@stawns  you asked how was it dirty?      looking for a player with his head down  feet leaving the ice , while he is skating backwards he does take a couple of cross overs,  the charging penalty says more than 3 strides its a penalty it doesn't however say anything about    the skating backwards equvelant "crossover"    DIRTY !  and I stand by that claim.and i'm not alone with that claim  but more to my point at least JV was aware of it     maybe you should buy a  #55 Detroit jersey.,

That's a lot of dirty hits if you ask me.  Leaving his feet, head shots, targeting players.  A good many of those hits would receive a suspension these days.  Going up to a player backwards and being on Detroit, doesn't make his hits less dirty.

He searches the ice for a player that has his head down.  Makes what Jake did even more delicious.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

screen-shot-2017-10-22-at-8-09-33-pm.png

With only two penalties last night it became more obvious.  But the fact remains -- 5v5 he's rolling the lines pretty effectively, and the right players are leading in TOI as they should.  Jake's being eased in and his TOI will increase, but can anyone argue with that 5V5 deployment? 

Anyone??

Again what does EV ice time have to do with total TOI?

Do we expect PP and PK not to affect the majority of the games.  Is 2 penalties the new norm? NO, ok then why post this? It bring zero to the conversation about players total ice time. 

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

That's a lot of dirty hits if you ask me.  Leaving his feet, head shots, targeting players.  A good many of those hits would receive a suspension these days.  Going up to a player backwards and being on Detroit, doesn't make his hits less dirty.

He searches the ice for a player that has his head down.  Makes what Jake did even more delicious.

he's exploiting something that's not in the charging infraction rule   DIRTY.

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

he's exploiting something that's not in the charging infraction rule   DIRTY.

If it's not a rule, how is it dirty? Isn't the definition of dirty play getting away with a rule infraction?  Anyone who wouldn't kill to see Kronwall in a Canucks uni, hitting people like that at the blue line is full of sh!t

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

There's an expression in hockey - keep your head up - for various reasons.

If your head is down you can expect to get nailed.

Leaving your feet is dirty, as is a crosscheck, stick to the face, an elbow or a knee, but hitting a guy who skates with his head up his arse is not. If it is your probably watching ringette or figure skating.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Apollo just went full Apollo....Apollo?

warriors golden state warriors stephen curry curry steph curry GIF

If only this was a giphy of a real athlete like DD though. I bet @Toni Zamboni could make an epic Canuck player going super sayan lol ... anyone still have that one he made of Cory and Luongo leaving town in flames? Always loled at that one.

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

I ripped this off from the province incase you guys did not see it.  It will give you a good laugh

When asked what Hank was saying Jake said "“Henrik was asking me if it always takes 12 shots for me to  score.”

jv-making-henrik-laugh.gif?w=643&h=360

That's hilarious :D 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

If it's not a rule, how is it dirty? Isn't the definition of dirty play getting away with a rule infraction?  Anyone who wouldn't kill to see Kronwall in a Canucks uni, hitting people like that at the blue line is full of sh!t

I love when Edler stands up at the blue line. Loved it when Ohlund did. 

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Again what does EV ice time have to do with total TOI?

Do we expect PP and PK not to affect the majority of the games.  Is 2 penalties the new norm? NO, ok then why post this? It bring zero to the conversation about players total ice time. 

Your original comment was not about "total ice time":

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As I said rolling a line only works when canucks have a healthy lead.  How’s it looking over the first 8 games.  Hmmm....

Just showed you how it's looking.  The lines are within 25% TOI top to bottom, for the entire season.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

was a bit of a dirty player myself ,one things for sure revenge is always served ,your wife being from pr might have seen some of that in the kings or nats games.    next your going to say he doesn't have intent to injure as well?  he's dirty end of.....

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's been awesome, better than I'd expected.  Not only very calm under pressure, but able to make quick moves in-tight to get and move the puck -- something you don't typically see from big men but more guys like Stecher.  Kindof like Salo, when he goes after the puck, you just have that feeling he's going to retrieve and get it out of the zone.

A friend of mine can’t stand the guy and for the life of me I can’t understand why. He sent me some advanced stats to “show me how horrible” Gudbranson was. I pointed out that they didn’t show QoC, which for me is the biggest thing. Anyhow, was wondering what a good, up to date source online is to search for such things. Thanks in advance. 

13 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

...Sniff...that's my boy!!!...ehem, sorry got teary eyed there. Love this kid and the way he plays the game. He's really starting to look like he belongs out there! Every shift he gives it his all. 

And his Ice time reflects it.

Just now, ThaShady1 said:

A friend of mine can’t stand the guy and for the life of me I can’t understand why. He sent me some advanced stats to “show me how horrible” Gudbranson was. I pointed out that they didn’t show QoC, which for me is the biggest thing. Anyhow, was wondering what a good, up to date source online is to search for such things. Thanks in advance. 

Cheers, @oldnews would be your source for that.  And speaking of, it's only been one game but ON's calling for Jake with Sedins has looked pretty good so far.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Your original comment was not about "total ice time":

Just showed you how it's looking.  The lines are within 25% TOI top to bottom, for the entire season.

The two "are" mutually exclusive.  The idea behind rolling 4 lines is to balance the "total" ice time out. PP and PK come into affect in all games. it's pointless disregarding two huge contributors to a players ice time.  

PS, your math is quite a bit off.

25 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Who doesn't?

thats hockey.

Archived