The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Detroit Red Wings

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The bigger the better...

the only defenceman to constantly pinch out of position ,not to keep the puck in the o zone but to use the oppositions momentum  as the play is moving out , dirty   good to see virt with his head up and foil this d-ck heads cheap sh!t

38 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Players already need to realize when he's on the ice and not just for hits, as he's regularly beating guys to the net.  Once they start backing off, things are really going to start opening up for his linemates, Sedins or otherwise.

I think he has great hands too.  must use skin cream

48 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I just cannot get over how effortless it seemed for Jake to rock Kronwall like that. He literally just stood up straight, braced himself and didn't budge a millimetre, and Kronwall of all guys lands on the ice.

Once Jake begins to perfect the timing and speed of the NHL, guys are going to wish they weren't on the ice with him, in fact I think that once Jake gets comfortable he may just be able to catch McDavid with open ice hits; now THAT would be something to behold. I really want to see him rock Lucic.

If I had any critique of this road trip thus far, it would be Newel Brown's PP deployment. They really need to figure out a better structured arrangement. Boeser is literally the best shooter on the team, they need to build the power play around him.

I'd like to see a PP unit consisting of:

Boeser - Horvat - Virtanen - Vanek
MDZ

Horvat and Vanek as the guys who dig in the corner, Vanek otherwise positioned in front of the net for screen and tips, MDZ on the point quarterbacking between the two half boards. Jake and Brock on their off wings for one timers.

Virtanen and Boeser both have elite passing and vision, and can pick apart the seams with cross ice passes, and MDZ has wicked passing as well. Forming a shooting trio at the half boards and point, with the passing coming from down low is way harder to protect against than quarterbacking off the half boards.

On the other unit, I would have Sedins, Granlund, Pouliot and Gudbranson. Gudbranson as the point guy for one timers, he can rip the hell out of the puck, Granny can snipe and is a good passer as are the Sedins and Pouliot.

We really should be structuring the PP as fast 1-2 pass and shot, preferably one timer. All of this slow possession looking for the perfect pass is giving the opposing PK too much time to read the play and shut it down. It's almost like when we go on the PP we lose the tempo we play with at 5v5, when the tempo should be cranked to 11.

Ehhhhh that's a bit of a stretch. Virtanen's vision is average at best, for now. Boeser's shot might be elite but his passing is good, not elite.

I was actually thinking that they should try Jake on the point for PPs since he's got such a hard shot that always generates big rebounds.

Good game overall, everybody was trying hard at least.

Dorsett leading us in scoring is not indicative of our offense so far. DD has more goals than a lot of really good players so far and has benefited from some good breaks. I think Dorsetts passion and energy hes showing being out there on the ice is stemming from the injury he suffered and has been a major factor in his output right now. He is really skating with purpose every shift. That will likely cool down over time, but its nice to see that kind of effort and im sure its getting everybody on the bench is excited to get out there as well.

I also think that when healthy our defense is quite capable, Guddy has been a real beast in our own end and is even giving us some flashes of offense! MDZ has been a clutch signing, he has made some mistakes without and has struggled at times (most often when someone gets hurt) but I like how much faster he is with the puck than Edler and I feel really confident about his game right 

Overall our team effort is there. Everybody is working hard and its making for more entertaining hockey than I expected. Our young guys are playing well, Brock has been good but not great though I expect his game to pick up as he builds more chemistry. Vitrtanen has looked much improved and that is good to see, he has too much talent to not be a decent NHLer, hopefully he can keep up this level of play and intsenity. Even the Sedins are trying harder despite being a bit slower and older. I also like Vanek, he has done more good than bad and for his price I think we are getting good value so far, hopefully he can pot 20 or more goals for us this year. Gagner has been a bit quieter than expected but it seems like he isnt comfortable out there. Perhaps he needs time to find his spot or role on this offense because if he can start contributing more than I really am not that pessimistic about playoff chances :]

Go Canucks Go!! Lets keep the momentum going!

Archived