The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Playoff Watch

Roberts

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

And now Nilsson is 2-1, with two shutouts and one game where he was pulled....I see where your going but I hope he keeps that up....end of season maybe thirty games, 20 shutouts for the single season record and ten games we lose and he's pulled ha ha.

Somehow this team keeps getting it done.  Dorsett has to be one of the best stories so far, coming out of a risky procedure because his arms were numb ( I know guys that were never the same after neck surgery, but I don't think they got the same level of care either), playing Mcdavid like he's Gainey, them potting a bunch of goals.

Green has to be the other, love what he's done with the minutes and how he talks to the media " I don't believe in labels" when asked about what line is the first, fourth etc.  

It's funny how a large portion of the CDC wants a high pick ( myself included), but at the same time when we're winning we love that too.  I don't think we have enough in the system yet to be done rebuilding unless all the pieces work out ( which is not at all likely), but if we can give the Sedins one last hurrah this year in the post season it would be exciting.  Then they retire and we can get a high pick next year right?

Yeah Nilsson has looked good overall - but he hasn't really played enough games to pass proper judgement imo.  I do somehow feel more comfortable with him in net over Marky though.

Losing doesn't guarantee a high pick so I am perfectly content with being entertained this season (yesterday's game notwithstanding) and getting a lower lottery position.  Let's face it - we've been pretty screwed in regards to the lottery anyway.

I don't think ALL our depth needs to work out for us the be done our rebuild. I think there are just a few key individuals we need to hit their ceiling. Obviously we need a high end goalie so Demko's development is pretty important.  We also need 1st line guys and I don't think many of the players in our system have that potential.  Dahlen and Pettersson are the only two that come to mind, with maybe Goldobin having an outside chance.  But really, with Virtanen now contributing and Boeser almost certainly to be 1st line material, along with a generally solid team with players like Baertschi, Granlund, Horvat, and a couple of veterns I think we are in good shape overall; we just need a couple of players to really turn into starts to give us that legitimate constant threat like we used to have with the WCE line or when the Sedins were a bit younger.

On 10/23/2017 at 0:18 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

thats all true. We don't quite have the depth yet to survive a run of multiple significant injuries but its so much more fun to watch this style of play. We'll see where Stecher is at later today, hopefully thats not too severe. 

Green's use of Pouliot as been great so far. He's only been credited with one giveaway so far in 5 games and he's at 28% d-zone starts so Green is really giving this guy a chance to gain some confidence (https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/poulide01.html). 

It's worth mentioning that Baumgartner is running the D and they have looked very good thus far this year.  He and Green have been together for awhile now.  D is moving the puck nicely, pinching hard, working together well.  No truly dominant players, like the offense, but doing it by committee with 2 top D men down.  Bring back Paul Jerrard from the Flames and you have the Comets staff for the first few years and they did a very good job with what they had.  

16 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

This discussion should be saved for November 23rd

Yeah it's certainly early and this likely isn't sustainable. 20-25 games is usually my minimum sample size before making any serious judgement. We could very well lose 8 of the next 11 and nobody will be planning for playoff games.

Good on the team if they buck the odds but I don't see happening. Middling PK, 28th PP, middling goal differential (and that's after this short win streak, it will almost certainly regress back to the mean). Not a recipe for a playoffs. 

But if they keep playing something close to this brand of hockey with this amount of 'try', I'll keep tuning in. Win or lose :)

On 10/22/2017 at 9:12 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Where's Anaheim?

On 10/22/2017 at 9:29 PM, J-23 said:

It looks like the extinction of the "Ducks" happened earlier than expected.

Injuries. They also tend to be 'slow to wake' the last few years. They need to get healthy but don't be writing them off yet, I'd imagine they'll still be in the playoff picture by the TDL.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎23 at 8:59 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

This team is markedly more unified in their play this year. There is way more tangible chemistry evident throughout the roster, and the pace of the games is faster, more aggressive, and purposeful. As well, the Canucks are far more assertive, and far less welcoming in their own end.

This is the type of team that, if taken lightly, will make things very difficult for the opposition.

This is a team I have been waiting for since the 90's. Hard working , hard hitting and very difficult to play against. A team that coincidentally does well in the playoffs as well. How else can you explain Dorsett's standing in the points department? ::D 

We have Boeser as our Bure, Bo as our Linden, Gudbranson as our Babych, Sutter is our Greg Adams and Virt is our Momesso. We just need a Lumme and a McLean and we are good to go. :P

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, Bitter Melon said:

Way too early to make any predictions. I still somewhat expect them to finish in the bottom 5. Playoffs would take a miracle. Its a long season.

reminder of last yr hey when we were out of the gate quickly then slideeeeeeeeeeeeee

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎23 at 9:56 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Still early, but both the 5V5 TOI and time distribution to the centers is very much indicating the pecking order, and Green has it pretty much bang-on who fits where:

screen-shot-2017-10-22-at-8-10-45-pm.png

1 - Horvat

2 - Granlund

3 - Sutter

4 - Henrik/Gagner

4- Burmistrov

Fixed. I would be quite happy with these 4 as our centers. A good problem to have though with a long season ahead. ::D 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, kloubek said:

Not many shared my optimism, but I have always said I felt we would either squeak into the playoffs or be at least close to doing so. I maintain that. 

The record right now means little; the sample size is just too small.  I think a huge factor is going to be our goaltending - which has been rather inconsistent as expected.

Well a lot of us have optimism but it's cautious as we're not that far into like what happened last year.

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well a lot of us have optimism but it's cautious as we're not that far into like what happened last year.

I actually thought we would do better last year than we did.  And in fact, for a while there we were remotely in the playoff hunt but then completely crapped the bed.  I feel that this season we have the addition of a couple of talented vets, a couple of young but impact players like Boeser and Virtanen, our younger guys like Horvat and Baertschi (hopefully) improving, hopefully a better coach, and better depth to absorb inevitable injuries.  On the other hand, the Sedins are even slower now and our goaltending is maybe more up in the air than it has been for quite a while.  

So there is certainly reason to be cautious but I feel that overall this team is absolutely heading in the right direction and I believe we will see that in the stats as the season progresses.

24 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I actually thought we would do better last year than we did.  And in fact, for a while there we were remotely in the playoff hunt but then completely crapped the bed. 

What time of the year was that? from November on this team was near the bottom.  We went on that 9 game loosing stream and never recovered.  We had a 2 week span in Jan where we went from 6th worse to 13th worst but then quick shot back down to bottom 5. 

Just now, Davathor said:

I think I hate this place when we're winning. I mean, I'm glad they are doing well... but 8 games in and you're talking about playoffs and green being as good as Quinn? Get a grip people.

Playoffs.  Heck, I'm reserving my spot for the June PARADE!!!!!!! :lol:

11 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I think I hate this place when we're winning. I mean, I'm glad they are doing well... but 8 games in and you're talking about playoffs and green being as good as Quinn? Get a grip people.

That's the thing around here you got either homers or haters. The realist are waiting til mid season to post. 

Archived