The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested in D Slater Koekkoek

skategal

9 hours ago, SpennyCanuck said:

pretty much the exact same a Pouliot... maybe more physical than Pouliot with less offensive upside. 

Based on the research I did briefly seems like a solid 2 way guy depth puck mover.

Could be a good replacement for Edler or Stecher.

Has similar size to Hutton bit better shot.

Is a good skater.

Final verdict. Weircoch and a 4th or 5th

For Kokanee

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

They don't need Boucher. And he's never going to crack that bolts' lineup. 

But huge pass to Koekkoek. We have Wiercioch and possible Holm to fill in the gaps. Just as capable.

Are we really doing this Holm and Rodins and Weircoch types?

Unlike those 3  Kokanee is younger and has pedigree.

He looks like an NHL ready young d man with good size and skating.

Holm is far from ready. And Weircoch?

The Canucks dumped him to make room for a pedigree guy like Pouloit.

This moves makes sense if Tampa needs a guy they can sneak through waivers then Weircoch is for them.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Are we really doing this Holm and Rodins and Weircoch types?

Unlike those 3  Kokanee is younger and has pedigree.

He looks like an NHL ready young d man with good size and skating.

Holm is far from ready. And Weircoch?

The Canucks dumped him to make room for a pedigree guy like Pouloit.

This moves makes sense if Tampa needs a guy they can sneak through waivers then Weircoch is for them.

Who exactly are we going to give up? 

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Who exactly are we going to give up? 

Like I said already similar to Pouliot .

Weircoch and a mid round pick.

Koe is getting near bust territory this is year 5 post draft year now.

He is 23 going on 25.

NHL averages show a skater or (slater in this case) is who is by age 25.

Tamoa could waive him and lose him or get a draft pick for him like Pittsburgh did.

44 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Like I said already similar to Pouliot .

Weircoch and a mid round pick.

Koe is getting near bust territory this is year 5 post draft year now.

He is 23 going on 25.

NHL averages show a skater or (slater in this case) is who is by age 25.

Tamoa could waive him and lose him or get a draft pick for him like Pittsburgh did.

Well if they feel that way we could trade him for Gaunce or Rodin as they’re in the same boat for us.

9 hours ago, Pears said:

I think Tampa is a top 4 defenseman away from being a serious cup threat. Think they'd be interested in a deal including Tanev for Foote?

I'd say wait until the trading deadline. Assuming that we are gonna miss the playoffs, Tampa could be looking at Tanev or maybe a Gudbranson. Why get Slater Koeko whatever you spell his name as a temporary bandaid when you can have a chance to get a home run with Foote if Tampa feels they need a last piece to push them over the top. Top 4 D-men in the trading deadline can haul in a kings ransom, big time. Sell, when the demand its at its highest. I think I read somewhere that scouts felt that out of all the D-men in the draft, Cal Foote has the highest floor, has a shot at being a top pairing guy but an almost lock to be a really good top 4 and be a 10-15 year player

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dont forget we needed some of those plugs simply to have enough guys for the Vegas expansion rules. I don't know what the process is for sending guys from Utica to the ECHL tho, can you do that if they have an NHL contract? I thought that was only possible for guys like Archibald that only have AHL deals but I could be wrong. 

notsure either

Benning says he's not thinking of adding a D.  From the Province:

However, with the fortunate news they got on Stech, Benning said he is now not looking to add a D.

“No, we’re not,” Benning said. “We called up Wiercioch and have 7 D now so we’re not doing anything.”

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not looking at price.  I am looking at future needs.  Cal Foote is someone I've watched in kelowna for a while.  Kelowna breeds championship defenders the same way London does championship forwards.

If we're picking up a young D prospect from Tampa it should be Foote

Koekkoek is not a young D prospect, he's a 23 years old depth/fringe NHL defenseman.  JB is probably looking for depth due to all the injuries....Foote doesn't help us one bit this year.

Would I like Cal Foote, of course, but that's not what this rumours is about.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Benning says he's not thinking of adding a D.  From the Province:

However, with the fortunate news they got on Stech, Benning said he is now not looking to add a D.

“No, we’re not,” Benning said. “We called up Wiercioch and have 7 D now so we’re not doing anything.”

Just expanding a bit, I gather immediately after Stechers injury they thought he might be gone for the year so were starting to explore options, but after the news that no surgery was required they can stand pat.  

21 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

He has potential and might cost too much. I would rather the Canucks fill the gaps internally right now with call ups instead of trading away pieces for a stopgap at this point in the season. If we are in a playoff position by Xmas and had the same injury situation  it might make sense but this early in the season give Holm/Weircoch the opportunity. 

JB brought both to Vancouver for depth purposes. Only makes sense to bring one of them up rather then lose assets. We're doing well. No need for a shake up right now.

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I'd say wait until the trading deadline. Assuming that we are gonna miss the playoffs, Tampa could be looking at Tanev or maybe a Gudbranson. Why get Slater Koeko whatever you spell his name as a temporary bandaid when you can have a chance to get a home run with Foote if Tampa feels they need a last piece to push them over the top. Top 4 D-men in the trading deadline can haul in a kings ransom, big time. Sell, when the demand its at its highest. I think I read somewhere that scouts felt that out of all the D-men in the draft, Cal Foote has the highest floor, has a shot at being a top pairing guy but an almost lock to be a really good top 4 and be a 10-15 year player

Very good point. If we can get Foote and a pick for Tanev, who I think would push Tampa over the top, we should be all over that. Heck I’d take Callahan back if that would get it done. 

Archived