The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Failed closed-door discussions and Matthews' intention to leave Leafs, what Sportsnet, CBC and TSN won’t reveal.

Slegr

In July 2016, the Leafs organization signed Auston Matthews to a three-year entry-level contact, and the Leafs are recognizing now that it will be an uphill battle to get a McDavid-sized extension as they had hoped by next summer.

Auston Matthews, the native of Scottsdale Arizona, is not interested in signing long-term with the Leafs, say sources close to him and the Leafs organization.

Relations started rocky when negotiations behind closed doors between Lamoriello and Matthews’ agent over performance bonuses in his first contract left Matthews bitter, say sources.

The US born player, who spends his off-time in Arizona, allegedly has his heart set on playing in the US, and it is no surprise that the Coyotes remain Matthew’s favourite team. Matthews has been a Coyotes fan since he was two years old, and sources say that Leaf management have even asked him to scale down his public comments about Coyotes happenings to show greater loyalty towards the Blue and White fans. This request by the Leaf organization came after Matthews’ comments about the potential for the Arizona Coyotes to get a new arena, and when his idol Shane Doan retired.

Recent attempts by the Leafs organization to discuss contract extensions with Matthews have apparently gone flat. Sources say Matthews plans to argue that as a player drafted out of Europe, after four years of playing with the Leafs, he becomes a draft-related unrestricted free agent, as per the collective bargaining agreement.

The Leafs management interpret the agreement differently, believing they will maintain his rights after four years as a ‘defected player.’ To be continued.

(Sources unable to be revealed, hence why this is being posted in White Noise.)

• Slegr changed the title to Failed closed-door discussions and Matthews' intention to leave Leafs, what Sportsnet, CBC and TSN won’t reveal.
2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hell no

I want Matthews to blow a hissy fit and pout his way back to Europe for a bit, until he's UFA and completely screw the leafs over.

They bought that lottery ball. I hope karma comes knocking

F*** the leafs

Already schadenfreude-worthy, with rumours like this leaking out.

Tbh, the Fleas are fun to watch..& this deal would keep them offensive, yet Flea-sized(Domi, Marner, Keller).

I think they secretly envy our roster, especially our budding Ontario-talent.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think they secretly envy our roster, especially our budding Ontario-talent.

And our own, very special, American Golden Boy.

I was conditioned from birth to hate the Leafs. My Mom is a Habs fan, Dad loves the Nux... One Uncle is a Red Wings fan, the others prefer baseball and football.

I love seeing the leafs fail, toil and get burned. "I was born this way"

Archived