The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jason Garrison

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That is true.

I guess he was a decent presence on the blueline, he just never seemed to deter an aggressive forecheck or crease crashing the way Gudbranson has.

Just curious, which year did he have the career high with the hits? That's about 1.5 hits per game, which is alright. He never struck me as much in the way of a physical presence back there, and he was a very slow skater, and his shot was powerful, but errant.

I should use my glasses when quoting. He had years of 127 & 136 for Florida. But not far off.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/garrija01.html

He was a rather putz like high of 58 hits for us. Your memory is not horrible. He did not hit for us...  

Guess you get a big contract, and stop doing what got it fer ya?

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I should use my glasses when quoting. He had years of 127 & 136 for Florida. But not far off.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/garrija01.html

He was a rather putz like high of 58 hits for us. Your memory is not horrible. He did not hit for us...  

Guess you get a big contract, and stop doing what got it fer ya?

Interesting. Thanks for the info, Surfer. That's quite the drop from 136 in Florida to (a putz like high....hahahahahahahaha!) of 58. That's a huge dip in hits on a team that could have used a physical presence.

I think that was Garrison in a nutshell. Was a shooting machine being fed by Campbell in Florida. Got the Gillis treatment in Vancouver and hit the coast button. Benning likely won't go anywhere near Garrison for the very reason he traded him away.

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info, Surfer. That's quite the drop from 136 in Florida to (a putz like high....hahahahahahahaha!) of 58. That's a huge dip in hits on a team that could have used a physical presence.

I think that was Garrison in a nutshell. Was a shooting machine being fed by Campbell in Florida. Got the Gillis treatment in Vancouver and hit the coast button. Benning likely won't go anywhere near Garrison for the very reason he traded him away.

Yeah, I changed my mind. At first I thought why not pick him up. But you are right, it is not going to happen because Benning wanted him out in the first place. Those same reasons that he wanted him out are still valid. In fact Garrison seemed to have regressed the past two years with Tampa. He went from 30 points in 2014/2015 to 11 then 9 points.

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/6/21/15850442/vegas-golden-knights-select-jason-garrison-tampa-bay-lightning-nhl-expansion-draft-gusev-yzerman

In the end, the Lightning avoided giving up the 14th overall draft pick, or a future first-round pick, by sending Gusev, a second, and a fourth to Vegas. The presence of an extra second-round pick from the Toronto Maple Leafs acquired in the Brian Boyle trade made it easier to give up a 2nd round pick.

The additional benefit of the deal was to protect young defensemen Slater Koekkoek and Jake Dotchin, along with forwards Cedric Paquette and J.T. Brown from selection. Yzerman has also gained flexibility under the salary cap to address the blue line in a further transaction weather a trade or the signing of a free agent defenseman. Garrison was slated to count $4.6 million against the cap in 2017-18.

Garrison’s play has declined the past two seasons dropping from 30 points in his first season with the Lightning in 2014-15 to just 11 points and 9 points the past two seasons. He does have a special achievement to his credit though by having scored the first 3-on-3 overtime goal since the NHL introduced the new overtime format for the 2015-16 season.

2 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Yeah, I changed my mind. At first I thought why not pick him up. But you are right, it is not going to happen because Benning wanted him out in the first place. Those same reasons that he wanted him out are still valid. In fact Garrison seemed to have regressed the past two years with Tampa. He went from 30 points in 2014/2015 to 11 then 9 points.

https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/6/21/15850442/vegas-golden-knights-select-jason-garrison-tampa-bay-lightning-nhl-expansion-draft-gusev-yzerman

Wow. What's he thinking? Yeah there is no place for Garrison in Vancouver. No need for a half ass.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wow. What's he thinking? Yeah there is no place for Garrison in Vancouver. No need for a half ass.

I liked Garrison. He was a hometown guy who wanted to play for us. He had some nice attributes that we could have used at the time and that is why Gillis signed him as a UFA. Unfortunately he never performed up to his contract with us because like you said, he decided to coast once he got his long term deal which is why Benning got rid of him. It seems that he followed the same pattern in Tampa. After some initial success he got complacent and Stevie had to give up a second and the rights to Gusev just to get rid of him and his $4.6 million cap hit to Vegas. This also allowed Stevie to protect Koekkoek as well as other assets.

garrison was barely an nhl player when he signed that contract and he sure as hell isn't one now. 

if I was aquilini I would have fired gillis for that move alone even if everything else he touched turned to gold, and I said as much at the time. 

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

To Vegas:

Megna

To Vancouver:
Garrison (50% retained)

Vegas gets some cap space and a warm body for the farm.  Canucks benefit by getting rid of Megna, and bringing in some much needed depth on the blueline.  Both teams get rid of some negative value.

Why would we do that? !:lol:

Archived