The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jason Garrison

Tampa played the expansion draft perfectly. Got to dump cap and a player on a steep downhill and protected several decent young players and only gave up Gusev, 2nd and a 4th. Gusev was likely never coming over for Tampa and the lure was suppose to be Shipachyov, former linemate in the KHL. Now it seems unlikely for him to come over for Vegas as well. This move was suppose to open up a spot on defense, but because of another shrewd move got them Sergachev and now they may be able to deal Koekkoek and maybe even get a 2nd or something back as well.

Be careful dealing with Yzerman. He must've learned well from Bowman.

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Tampa played the expansion draft perfectly. Got to dump cap and a player on a steep downhill and protected several decent young players and only gave up Gusev, 2nd and a 4th. Gusev was likely never coming over for Tampa and the lure was suppose to be Shipachyov, former linemate in the KHL. Now it seems unlikely for him to come over for Vegas as well. This move was suppose to open up a spot on defense, but because of another shrewd move got them Sergachev and now they may be able to deal Koekkoek and maybe even get a 2nd or something back as well.

Be careful dealing with Yzerman. He must've learned well from Ken Holland*

Fixed that for you. I expect Yzerman did learn much from Bowman about the game but more front office related would be from from Holland who he worked with in Detroit. 

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Ken Holland like the poster above me says. But I got what you are saying and I totally agree. Yzerman is doing an excellent job in Tampa. Hung tight with Drouin until he got the right deal for Sergachev. What a GM.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:31 AM, nickels said:

Garrison is an interesting option.

He is a very serviceable dman on an expiring contract.

How much of a downgrade is he on Edler ?

Is there a legitimate trade market for Edler (if willing to waive)...could possibly get a "free" high draft pick or top prospect(both?) by basically inserting JG for AE.

How bad is Guddy's wrist ?   He's an UFA this summer also...

If needed moving fwd...sure local boy Garrison would re up here at a reasonable cap hit.

Worst case...is probably a very valuable trade chip at TDL to a team in need or that has just suffered an injury.

Oh my god man, Edler is way better than Garrison.

22 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

Honestly, once he clears, he could be quite a good trade chip in the near future for Vegas. Philly were looking for a RHD... maybe a connection to be had there

Negative. That only works if a player's salary is at or below 900K. Even if the acquiring team wanted to store him away in the AHL until later this year, all but 900K of his $4.6M would still count against their cap. There's no way around it, Garrison's contract is as good as a NTC. Vegas will have to eat a big chunk of it if they want to move him.

On 10/28/2017 at 5:08 PM, theo5789 said:

Actually, Kucherov has been trying to lure Gusev over for the past couple of years. They were childhood best friends and Kuch was stoked to hear Gusev was drafted by the Lightning and has been trying to bring him over since. Pretty certain Gusev was going to come join the Lightning much sooner than later

On 28/10/2017 at 10:11 PM, coryberg said:

Scotty bowman was one of the greatest coaches ever... he wasn't a very good GM though.

On 29/10/2017 at 1:44 PM, Gnarcore said:

Fixed that for you. I expect Yzerman did learn much from Bowman about the game but more front office related would be from from Holland who he worked with in Detroit. 

On 29/10/2017 at 3:07 PM, Alexandre said:

Ken Holland like the poster above me says. But I got what you are saying and I totally agree. Yzerman is doing an excellent job in Tampa. Hung tight with Drouin until he got the right deal for Sergachev. What a GM.

My bad, yes it was Holland. Either way, wherever Yzerman soaked up his abilities as a GM so far, it has been working out great for him and the Lightning.

2 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Actually, Kucherov has been trying to lure Gusev over for the past couple of years. They were childhood best friends and Kuch was stoked to hear Gusev was drafted by the Lightning and has been trying to bring him over since. Pretty certain Gusev was going to come join the Lightning much sooner than later

I think Kucherov was the lure to get him to Tampa, which is why they took a gamble with a late pick to try and get him to come over. However, Kucherov had almost 5 years to convince him to make the jump over. If he was close to coming over, I think Yzerman would've been smart enough to keep him and trade a different prospect. I think Yzerman sold the fact that Shipachyov could convince him to boost his value.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

My bad, yes it was Holland. Either way, wherever Yzerman soaked up his abilities as a GM so far, it has been working out great for him and the Lightning.

I think Kucherov was the lure to get him to Tampa, which is why they took a gamble with a late pick to try and get him to come over. However, Kucherov had almost 5 years to convince him to make the jump over. If he was close to coming over, I think Yzerman would've been smart enough to keep him and trade a different prospect. I think Yzerman sold the fact that Shipachyov could convince him to boost his value.

Stevie Y has definitely pulled some sweet moves and has TB looking as deadly...as well TB......    ;) 

On 10/29/2017 at 9:24 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Negative. That only works if a player's salary is at or below 900K. Even if the acquiring team wanted to store him away in the AHL until later this year, all but 900K of his $4.6M would still count against their cap. There's no way around it, Garrison's contract is as good as a NTC. Vegas will have to eat a big chunk of it if they want to move him.

In terms of cap hit...correct.

However, his actual salary is "only" $2.5 million.  That MIGHT make him easier to move (especially if Vegas eats some of that salary - which doesn't seem like much to eat whatever amount goes for #6 D nowadays - assuming he's that, I have no idea how his play like is now.).

Canuck_In_Paradise said::  Philly were looking for a RHD

Garrison is a left side D that can shift to the right side; course that's not an ideal situation especially if his play has indeed fallen off that badly.

Archived