The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser line about to become something special?

*Buzzsaw*

Baer/Bo/Boes about to become dominant?  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't know about the rest of this board, but the more I watch Bo's chemistry with Baer and now Boeser, the more I am thinking we are witnessing the beginning of something special.

- Bo has everything the leader of a line needs... great speed, great physicality, great shot, and the drive and leadership which can inspire the rest of his linemates and the whole team.  There is no question he has forced the league to stand up and recognize he is a 'Star'... I am hearing that word mentioned regularly by commentators and the readers on the sports desks.

- Baer has the same hard work ethic, as well as some slick passing skill, a decent shot and some nasty dangle in tight.  Most important, he has a high hockey IQ... he knows where Bo is at all times and he is starting to have the same intuitive 'no look' sense about Boeser.

- Boeser...  this guys is just starting... and he has almost more points than games.  And that wrister... I've been trying to think of someone who has a wrist shot with that much snap and power... already people are talking about how 'heavy' it is... when was the last time you say two opposing players limping around after they were hit by wrist shots?  One with a broken leg?  Names that come to mind are Sakic, Brett Hull and Bossy... maybe Boeser doesn't have quite the quick release of Sakic, or the accuracy of Bossy, but he definitely has Hull's 'heavy' shot.  It's not enough for goalies to stop Boeser's shot, they have to deal with the velocity he puts on it... which if not handled well will create a the kind of rebound which Bo and Baer are happy to pounce on.  Boeser's other skills are a nice complement to the line too... passing... everyone thought he gonna be a goalscorer... but he is piling up the assists.

I have had the pleasure of watching quite a few famous Canuck lines during the years... and something tells me I might be watching the birth of a new legend.  B)

For now, they're easily our top line. 

However, like @fanfor42 said, things will start to get interesting when Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, and Goldobin are ready to make the jump. 

Personally, I can see a scenario where Virtanen finds his offensive game at a top 6 level and slots in on Horvat's right side, while Boeser plays alongside Pettersson.

So many possibilities!

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

For now, they're easily our top line. 

However, like @fanfor42 said, things will start to get interesting when Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind, and Goldobin are ready to make the jump. 

Personally, I can see a scenario where Virtanen finds his offensive game at a top 6 level and slots in on Horvat's right side, while Boeser plays alongside Pettersson.

So many possibilities!

Wouldn't mind it if Jake plays with the Euros actually, Elias can skate and create off the rush and Jake's physicality should help those smaller guys (Bo can handle himself in terms of grit and all, so wouldn't mind spreading the wealth).

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

A bit of a different opinion: I think the line is 2/3 there. Baertschi is a decent player but I think he's a stop-gap to whichever player eventually slots into that spot.

the way Baer and Horvat have developed together I think we would be stupid to break them up. Its not like Baer has put himself into a position to get a ludacrous contract we would be stupid to match. Let them continue to play together and hopefuly they can produce at a first line pace. So far so good.

I think those three are easily the best we can offer this year. Do I think they are long term a true #1 line? No, not quite. Boeser is the one that is truly elite. Bo is very good, but just short of elite. Baer is good to very good (at times) and does have great chemistry with Bo.

I could see them together both this year and next. After that, once Petersson and Dahlen are ready, then the top line will likely be those two plus Boeser. Bo and Baer will play with Lind. Gaudette could be on a line with Gadjovich and Virt. Sutter sticks around one more season, to center Lockwood and Eriksson (likely stuck with him until the trade deadline of the '20-'21 season, at the very earliest).

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

A bit of a different opinion: I think the line is 2/3 there. Baertschi is a decent player but I think he's a stop-gap to whichever player eventually slots into that spot.

Baer is like the Brendan Morrison of that line. Not a first liner on his own but has great chemistry and manages to keep pace

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't know about the rest of this board, but the more I watch Bo's chemistry with Baer and now Boeser, the more I am thinking we are witnessing the beginning of something special.

- Bo has everything the leader of a line needs... great speed, great physicality, great shot, and the drive and leadership which can inspire the rest of his linemates and the whole team.  There is no question he has forced the league to stand up and recognize he is a 'Star'... I am hearing that word mentioned regularly by commentators and the readers on the sports desks.

- Baer has the same hard work ethic, as well as some slick passing skill, a decent shot and some nasty dangle in tight.  Most important, he has a high hockey IQ... he knows where Bo is at all times and he is starting to have the same intuitive 'no look' sense about Boeser.

- Boeser...  this guys is just starting... and he has almost more points than games.  And that wrister... I've been trying to think of someone who has a wrist shot with that much snap and power... already people are talking about how 'heavy' it is... when was the last time you say two opposing players limping around after they were hit by wrist shots?  One with a broken leg?  Names that come to mind are Sakic, Brett Hull and Bossy... maybe Boeser doesn't have quite the quick release of Sakic, or the accuracy of Bossy, but he definitely has Hull's 'heavy' shot.  It's not enough for goalies to stop Boeser's shot, they have to deal with the velocity he puts on it... which if not handled well will create a the kind of rebound which Bo and Baer are happy to pounce on.  Boeser's other skills are a nice complement to the line too... passing... everyone thought he gonna be a goalscorer... but he is piling up the assists.

I have had the pleasure of watching quite a few famous Canuck lines during the years... and something tells me I might be watching the birth of a new legend.  B)

You are something special, Buzzsaw, ...you are.

Archived