The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Domingue, G.Reinhart

Visp

43 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

So ... Will the Yotes go with Rantaa and Hill ? 

No. Hill, while their best goaltender prospect, is only 21 and is still roughly 2 years away from regular backup duty. He needs time to develop in the AHL. He’s been playing really well down there, so he’s just needs a few more years of consistency down there.

I think it might actually be a good move to put a claim in on Reinhart and think there are a number of good reasons to.

First, it would enable Vancouver to assign Wiercioch, who is just sitting in the press box as the 7th man presently.   Wiercioch has already cleared waivers - hasn't played 10 games or spent a month on the Van roster - can be assigned freely and could be helping Utica in meantime.

Reinhart could replace Wiercioch in the press box - have some time to have a look at him with this group as he gets some time to acclimate.

If another D goes down in the short term, recall Wiercioch and play him if they're not comfortable with Reinhart.

Reinhart has been passed from the NYI (lots of talented youth there but have had their share of players that have not developed well there - Dal Colle, Reinhart, Strome come instantly to mind.  Reinhart goes to Edmonton - ditto.  To VGK and really had next to no chance from the get-go - an expansion team that could cherry pick 4th D from the entire league - with that kind of depth, a tweener like Reinhart didn't have much chance imo, unless Vegas had managed to move a few more defensemen.

Green has a solid track record working with players in his circumstances.

Brandon Sutter might also be positive presence, knowing what it's like coming from a hockey pedigree family.

The prospect of reviving Reinhart's career?  Who knows - but it is an opportune circumstance for Vancouver to give him a look with a couple D injuries... and the ability to assign Wiercioch without waiving him.  There's also the possibility that they could waive Reinhart in due course - if he passed he'd be depth for Utica and again enable Van to recall a guy like Wiercioch without taking a bite out of Utica's lineup.

11 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Wow, what a fleecing Peter Chiarelli got from Garth Snow with that deal. Griffin Reinhart for basically Mathew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillie (Snow traded up from the number 33 position they had also received in this deal by adding a 3rd rounder to move up to number 28). Barzal 6 points in 11 games, Beauvillier 4 points in 8 games so far this season for a guy who is now on waivers.

How the heck did Chiarelli ever manage to build the 2011 Stanley Cup team (composed mostly of players acquired, not drafted, by them). He must have had good advice there by people who can evaluate talent well. Like a certain assistant gm we are now very thankful of having in our rebuild.

Yeah, suck it Oilers. Chiarelli looks good on them.

I just noticed a new topic that Strome is on the block. He is the guy Chiarelli received for Eberle (9 points in 11 games so far this season). Another fleecing of Chia pet (yeah I know Eberle was to free up cap but then goes on to sign McDavid and Draisaitl to huge long term deals)?

1 minute ago, Monty said:

No. Hill, while their best goaltender prospect, is only 21 and is still roughly 2 years away from regular backup duty. He needs time to develop in the AHL. He’s been playing really well down there, so he’s just needs a few more years of consistency down there.

yes sir ...i missed that wedgewood trade  ...so wedge backup ? 

Just now, Bombastik der Teutone said:

yes sir ...i missed that wedgewood trade  ...so wedge backup ? 

For now. Until, and let’s be honest here, he won’t save their 0-10-1 season.

I’m assuming the Coyotes didn’t want to ruin Hill’s confidence and development by thrusting him into a losing atmosphere.

Reinhart is still young and has good size. Still has some potential, but may never reach the potential many thought he had when drafted. If the Canucks have interest, this is obviously the time to strike and claim him before Nov 1 when the waiver priority changes to this season's standings. Wouldn't be against a free asset, especially with our track record of man games lost on the blueline each season. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

It's not the official Capitals but an armchair-GM account.

my bad. that's twice in 2 days I've been smoked by that guy. 

Curious as to why LV would do that. Send him down for conditioning... which makes him ineligible, and then expose him? Unless he refused to report.. but i don't see anything about that

33 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I started a thread on Reinhart on Friday re: him being placed on waivers, but he was ineligible because it was a conditioning stint 

Now 2 days later and he's suddenly eligible...

I agree.  It's kind of bizarre.  What changed from the other day that now they are willing to part with him instead of letting him play out the conditioning assignment?

Reinhart is interesting of course and might just need a change of scenery to a place he'll be able to crack the roster, but we've got Wiercioch and Holm who are both deserving of a roster spot and 3 NHL attempts and fails on the NYI and EDM defences are pretty deflating.

As much potential as he might bring, I don't think he's worth the risk and would rather play our newly acquired guys first because Holm has been red hot in the AHL and Wiercioch might really be a nice weapon.

Archived