The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expiring CBA and It's impact on the Canucks (Discussion)

On 11/5/2017 at 7:35 AM, dayner said:

I have never been fully sold on Bar, yesterday's game was pretty good for him but I find he is wildly inconsistent and if you have a chance to move him for a return that is greater than what you paid for him then I would do it.

Baertschi wildly inconsistent? His play has been quite consistent. It was to be expected we might have a slow start with the China games, and the fact we have all new coaching staff, lots of new faces. 11 points in 13 games (majority of which is even strength) doesn't say wildly inconsistent to me. Bo has played more games without a point than Baertschi. Yet no one claims Bo is wildly inconsistent. Bo has been blanked in 8 games this season, Baer in 7. So if Baer is wildly inconsistent what does that make Bo? I don't know what it is about Baer that makes people believe he's not there or that he isn't a part of our early success but it needs to stop. He has been good for us, every bit as good as Bo has been. Give the mans some respect.

37 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Baertschi wildly inconsistent? His play has been quite consistent. It was to be expected we might have a slow start with the China games, and the fact we have all new coaching staff, lots of new faces. 11 points in 13 games (majority of which is even strength) doesn't say wildly inconsistent to me. Bo has played more games without a point than Baertschi. Yet no one claims Bo is wildly inconsistent. Bo has been blanked in 8 games this season, Baer in 7. So if Baer is wildly inconsistent what does that make Bo? I don't know what it is about Baer that makes people believe he's not there or that he isn't a part of our early success but it needs to stop. He has been good for us, every bit as good as Bo has been. Give the mans some respect.

I would agree that he has been great so far this year however that is such a short sample size. If you look at his entire tenure with Vancouver and on Bo's wing that's where the inconsistency shows. Bo has had moments on inconsistency as well but he plays a different position and he a make a difference in a game in a much different way than a offensively gifted LW can. I'll give the man his props this year but do you really see him as a 1LW or a 2LW. I hope your right. 

43 minutes ago, dayner said:

I would agree that he has been great so far this year however that is such a short sample size. If you look at his entire tenure with Vancouver and on Bo's wing that's where the inconsistency shows. Bo has had moments on inconsistency as well but he plays a different position and he a make a difference in a game in a much different way than a offensively gifted LW can. I'll give the man his props this year but do you really see him as a 1LW or a 2LW. I hope your right. 

He was traded for a 2nd rounder, we knew that we essentially had to rebuild Baertschi after Calgary all but destroyed his confidence, he said himself he found new life here in Vancouver and that it rejuvenated his love for hockey. His early time here wasn't great but neither was Bo's, and Bo has been relatively poor defensively in his short time in the league. Or at least his underlying defensive numbers have not been great. Baer may not be a shut down defensive player, but even when he isn't scoring I never feel like Baer is detrimental to the team. Baer has come a long way defensively in his time here.

Will he be a number 1 LWer? Possibly. I mean would you consider Maroon, Sheary, Anders Lee number 1 LWers? He can be with the right linemates and so far Brock, Baer and Bo have shown potential to be a number 1 line or at the least a fantastic 2nd line. I may be out to lunch saying this but I'd definitely consider throwing Bo money and term at Baer. 5-5.5mil over 5-6 years. Hopefully we can get him cheaper 4-5mil range. I don't see him getting another bridge deal though that's for sure.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎04 at 2:10 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I will begin by posting the CBA expiration dates.................This is Dedicated to "The Guardian", who it seems has continually brought up the subject throughout my search checks for this issue........I think it has value for discussion and it's impact on any decisions the Canucks make going forward...............

This CBA is a 10-year agreement, but both can choose to opt out after 8 years. The NHL will have first crack to do so by Sept. 1, 2019. If they decline, the NHLPA can decide to opt out by Sept. 19, 2019. The 10-year deal expires Sept. 15, 2022. .............pulled from Yahoo Sports

First off.......I think that the NHL will call for an new agreement on Sept. 1, 2019

#1.......I also think that is when the NHL will move the draft age........... from 18 on or before September 15th ........to......... 19 on or before September 15th

Entry Draft Eligibility
All players age 19 or older [(i) any player who will be age 18 on or before September 15 in the year in which such Entry Draft is held, or (ii) reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, both dates included, next following Entry Draft, can attain eligibility by delivering to the League a written notice (Opt in Form) prior to the later of May 1, or seven days following the date such player finishes competing on his team in the year in which such draft is to be held.] are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) A Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) A player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) A player who previously played in the League and became a free agent pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
(iv) A plyer age 21 or older who had played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20.............pulled from nhl.com "operating guidelines"

#2.......In addition, I believe that there will be an adjustment on the NCAA rule regarding when a drafted NCAA player can become a UFA..........I believe they will also move this up one year, where a player must wait an additional year after his 4th year before coming a UFA................. effectively closing the loophole for NCAA players

I believe there will be other cap and revenue sharing items as well, but for the sake of my concerns and how this will impact the Canucks rebuild, I think the first 2 items are important in how the Canucks proceed..........

This is a small part of what "The Guardian" has been pointing at..........as this affects the Canucks, it will affect other NHL teams, in how they trade in these next 2 years, and how they swap picks going into the negotiation years.

This is what Benning must plan for the best he can...................

My question is, does this mean, do we move veterans this year (as much as possible) or next year (as much as possible)?

How I read this is that the June, 2020 draft will be extremely weak if what I suggest happens.................I also feel that, that will be the year that the NHL expands (after the negotiations), when the new team would know what the new rules were (watch out for even less player protection, if expansion happen at that time, because the draft will not be that strong) so the expansion teams base will have to come from the league, rather than the draft, which happened to some degree with the Vegas entry...........

I don't know if this will interest you, but I think the Guardian make good points when referring to the "NEW" CBA and what might come out of it.

Thoughts????.......................

I will apologize for reposting this............but I can't seem to get around how important this is, and the implications it should have on this year.............

For example, why would a trading team want to trade for a player going into a contract year that could be void.............aka "lockout" or "strike"

Example: Edler, Del Zotto, Dorsett and Nilsson's contracts  all end going into the new CBA negotiations and then possibly have to wait an entire year to play that person, if a lock out occurs...........conversely why would any of them(the players) want to wait until the end of next year to negotiate their own new contract.....I think a lot more trades happen at this years TDL....

I don't want to sound like Chicken Little............but ???? ...............but I think that it is important

Important or NOT?

Archived