The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mass Arrests in Saudi Arabia

Harvey Spector

17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

You guys shouldn't use Trump as an example. The worst thing Trump has done so far was to sign a massive arms deal for this terrible nation to kill it's own people. His first foreign visit was this terrorist nation ffs.

The whole Saudi regime and royal family should be jailed for their crimes.

Lost in all this is the irony of Trumps "can't do it with daddy's money" statement

This absolutely stinks of the exact same kind of feudal culling we've seen since...forever.  Almost without question if you look at Trumps holdings, he'll have some sort of monetary connection to all the same groups that Harv and his buds are pinning entirely on the Clintons.  Or does anyone forget how pre election Trump and the Clintons were such good buds and business partners?

Someone is just trying to make sure their chosen son has an unobstructed climb to the throne.  

The true story from this will be what happens now with Iran and other ME nations that have not fallen in to line with US demands.  Will this be a consolidation of power for the throne or will this also include an unspoken agreement with the US that sees the ME turn their attention towards Iran with you know, no help at all from the US

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Lost in all this is the irony of Trumps "can't do it with daddy's money" statement

This absolutely stinks of the exact same kind of feudal culling we've seen since...forever.  Almost without question if you look at Trumps holdings, he'll have some sort of monetary connection to all the same groups that Harv and his buds are pinning entirely on the Clintons.  Or does anyone forget how pre election Trump and the Clintons were such good buds and business partners?

Someone is just trying to make sure their chosen son has an unobstructed climb to the throne.  

The true story from this will be what happens now with Iran and other ME nations that have not fallen in to line with US demands.  Will this be a consolidation of power for the throne or will this also include an unspoken agreement with the US that sees the ME turn their attention towards Iran with you know, no help at all from the US

Actually I think Iran and Arabia are close to war. A ballistic missile was fired from Yemen into Arabia and the Saudi's are blaming Iran and even saying it could be viewed as an act of war in the future. I guess they have to check and see if America is on board first.

AAaaaaaand

Here we go.  Now we know at least part of the reason for this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/saudi-arabia-oil-1.4389010

The price of oil has risen to its highest point in two years, as Saudi Arabia's heir to the throne consolidates power by arresting rival princes, government officials and military leaders as part of an anti-corruption probe.

West Texas Intermediate was trading up almost $1 to above $56 US a barrel in New York. The North American oil benchmark hasn't been that high since June 2015.

The European oil benchmark, Brent, was even higher, above $62 US a barrel.

The 32-year-old crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, ordered the rounding up of several influential other princes, including Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world's richest men with a net worth of $18 billion US as part of an anti-corruption crackdown.

Technically, the focus of bin Salman's purge is on his political rivals, but the move is also having a major impact on oil prices, since he is strongly in favour of harsh production cuts implemented by OPEC last year and set to be debated again and the cartel's meeting later this month.

"What appears to have been a preemptive centralization of power helped to lift front-month West Texas tea prices rose toward the $56-dollar mark, with traders expecting an extension of oil production cuts into next year," Karl Schamotta with Cambridge Global Payments said.

The arrest of Alwaleed bin Talal was especially notable. He has become the most prominent member of the Saudi royal family in the West, due to his significant investment in companies like Twitter, Apple, Lyft, Citigroup, and the Four Seasons hotel chain.

But he wasn't the only prominent name detained. In total, 11 powerful princes, four sitting ministers and at least 38 former ministers were rounded up over the weekend, and the private airport in Riyadh was closed to prevent anyone from leaving the country.

"Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman's Saturday night purge represents a stunning political development in Saudi Arabia and a shot across the bow at the old establishment," said Helima Croft, global head of commodity strategy at RBC Capital Markets. "The fact that private airstrips were closed on Saturday also does suggest that more high-level arrests may be looming."

A director of the nationalized oil firm Aramco and a member of the royal council overseeing the world's biggest oil
exporter were arrested as part of the sweep. The Saudi government is preparing to sell off a portion of Aramco in an IPO next year, part of the bin Salman's plan to overhaul the economy and create new jobs outside the oil industry.

But while the moves have pushed up oil in the short term, bin Salman's plan to diversify the country's economy may not be good news for oil prices over the long term. "There may be a question mark over the role that conventional fossil fuels will play in the modernization plan as he is clearly focused on all things disruptive," Croft said.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually I think Iran and Arabia are close to war. A ballistic missile was fired from Yemen into Arabia and the Saudi's are blaming Iran and even saying it could be viewed as an act of war in the future. I guess they have to check and see if America is on board first.

If America is on board?\

Trump can't tweet fast enough to contain his excitement

So much freedom coming to the ME soon.  So much

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

If America is on board?\

Trump can't tweet fast enough to contain his excitement

So much freedom coming to the ME soon.  So much

Well I just said that because the U.S seems to be in bed with the Saudi's, you know the very people that are responsible for 9/11.

Saddam Hussein was on the verge of attacking Arabia after he conquered Kuwait then America jumped in. We all were lead to believe it was defending Kuwait, however I believe it was to protect Saudi Arabia given that it appeared an Iraqi attack on Arabia was in the works. 

Anyway here is the story about the missile, 

Saudi Arabia blames Iran for missile launched from Yemen, warns it could be considered ‘act of war’

https://www.rt.com/news/408864-saudi-iran-missile-war/

26 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well I just said that because the U.S seems to be in bed with the Saudi's, you know the very people that are responsible for 9/11.

Saddam Hussein was on the verge of attacking Arabia after he conquered Kuwait then America jumped in. We all were lead to believe it was defending Kuwait, however I believe it was to protect Saudi Arabia given that it appeared an Iraqi attack on Arabia was in the works. 

Anyway here is the story about the missile, 

Saudi Arabia blames Iran for missile launched from Yemen, warns it could be considered ‘act of war’

https://www.rt.com/news/408864-saudi-iran-missile-war/

You absolutely know Israel and Trump are on the sidelines screaming hit them back knowing that ANY Iranian retaliation whether in self defense or not would give them the excuse they want.

Not need.  Want

37 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yup I agree with that.

I really think this is nothing more than a royal coup to an extent to ensure a chosen one is ensured a free path to the throne.  I also think with so much US backing it's a literal no brainer to see US officials trotting in the UAE and Saudi Arabia not days before this arrest happens.  In fact again, I firmly believe it's one of those "happy coincidences" that those in the Saudi regime that have ties to those in the US accused of standing against Trump are now somehow...shall we say guilty and affiliated with each other.

It's not a podesta thing, a clinton thing or a saudi thing.  It's a wealthy elite hand shaking thing.  I don't think it would be remotely different either had Clinton won the presidency.  Had she won I think without question this series of arrests would still happen and maybe alternative information would be out right now.

17 hours ago, Chandymen said:

As of right now, it looks as if the new Saudi regime is committed to cleaning out house and corruption with the recent revelations. That being said, it looks as if that deal is looking justifiable, but time will tell.

Cleaning out corruption is good, but is this being done to clean out corruption, or is it being done so that other corrupt individuals won't have anyone standing in their way?

I have a hard time believing that anyone in power within Saudi Arabia represents "one of the good guys". 

On 11/4/2017 at 5:39 PM, Harvey Spector said:

They are part of the Deep State and International Swamp. They own a lot of real estate and other holdings in the USA. This is huge. Sh*ts getting real. Trump’s tweet from two years ago is mind blowing. 

lol, I doubt you know a thing about these guys. But don't let your lack of knowledge keep you from forming a strong opinion

I love all the ignorance in this thread. All you Trumpies want SO bad for this to be some "swamp draining" that you are willing to assume any purge somehow plays to your interests. Despite the fact that no one here actually knows whats going on. Not only do you pretend you do, but you also pretend its good news for you. 

35 minutes ago, butters said:

I love all the ignorance in this thread. All you Trumpies want SO bad for this to be some "swamp draining" that you are willing to assume any purge somehow plays to your interests. Despite the fact that no one here actually knows whats going on. Not only do you pretend you do, but you also pretend its good news for you. 

Sounds like you think you know what's going on. Russia is doing this with help from Lebanon. 

9 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Sounds like you think you know what's going on. Russia is doing this with help from Lebanon. 

Absolutely not... in my other post I clearly said that NO ONE HERE does. Rushing to judgment (and worse yet, a judgment that slots into ones ideology) is what I was criticizing. 

On November 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Ryan Strome said:

You guys shouldn't use Trump as an example. The worst thing Trump has done so far was to sign a massive arms deal for this terrible nation to kill it's own people. His first foreign visit was this terrorist nation ffs.

The whole Saudi regime and royal family should be jailed for their crimes.

The fact that Canada and U.S. sell weapons and support this medieval regime is an absolute disgrace.

Probably one of the most repressive regimes on the planet.

As well as biggest exporter of radical Islam, through mosques and madrasas.

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The fact that Canada and U.S. sell weapons and support this medieval regime is an absolute disgrace.

Probably one of the most repressive regimes on the planet.

As well as biggest exporter of radical Islam, through mosques and madrasas.

I totally agree. 

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Biggest mistake, is that West has used radical Muslims to fight undesirable regimes.

Its like trying to have a great white, as your pet that you swim with.

Absolutely. It's pretty sad, both Canada and the U.S use tax dollars to arm these so called moderates that are in fact radical muslims. Both Countries should get out of the middle east and stay out.

When Trudeau promised to pull our fighter jets out of Iraq and Syria people assumed we were getting out of those places instead he tripled our ground troops in the region. Clearly Washington wasn't happy with the move to pull out the jets, nor was Washington ready to leave the ME so jt had to do something and wouldn't you know it was to put more Canadian men and women in harms way. Shameful.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Absolutely. It's pretty sad, both Canada and the U.S use tax dollars to arm these so called moderates that are in fact radical muslims. Both Countries should get out of the middle east and stay out.

When Trudeau promised to pull our fighter jets out of Iraq and Syria people assumed we were getting out of those places instead he tripled our ground troops in the region. Clearly Washington wasn't happy with the move to pull out the jets, nor was Washington ready to leave the ME so jt had to do something and wouldn't you know it was to put more Canadian men and women in harms way. Shameful.

The biggest problem is, we have no clue who is moderate and who is not.

Republicans thought of Afghanis as "freedom fighters", when they were arming them back in the 80's.

They put Pakistan in charge of distributing weapons.

We all saw how that turned out.

The one side that we should have been supporting are Kurds, unfortunately they have been getting screwed over.

Being "in bed" with Muslim fundamentalists is a bad idea.

19 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The biggest problem is, we have no clue who is moderate and who is not.

Republicans thought of Afghanis as "freedom fighters", when they were arming them back in the 80's.

They put Pakistan in charge of distributing weapons.

We all saw how that turned out.

The one side that we should have been supporting are Kurds, unfortunately they have been getting screwed over.

Being "in bed" with Muslim fundamentalists is a bad idea.

Canada actually has been arming and training the kurds which annoys a nato partner Turkey. Although I don't care what Turkey thinks they shouldn't even be part of Nato as far as I'm concerned. Canada has also given full support to the Iraqi government and military and now they're attacking the kurds. Like I say we should just stay out of it.

Canadian military reviewing whether to provide weapons to Kurds

Former Canadian diplomat Peggy Mason has said the Canadian government’s position — support for a unified Iraq despite training, supplying and providing active support to Kurdish forces —  is no longer tenable, if it ever was. The two objectives are now in direct conflict, warned Mason, president of the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-military-reviewing-whether-to-provide-weapons-to-kurds

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/iraqis-seize-kirkuk-30-dead-canadian-military-personnel-safe

So if they do continue to arm the kurds then essentially they're training and equipping both sides to fight each other. Seems pretty messed up.

Archived