The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Canucks interested in Evander Kane... Again

Nessnuck27

So I see a bunch of comments talking about how Kane would add to the toughness and hitting a guy like Virtanen brings...I must be blind because the physical game Jake had in the WHL is non existent to me here. Occasional hit here and there, that's it. Am I missing something? 

18 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

So I see a bunch of comments talking about how Kane would add to the toughness and hitting a guy like Virtanen brings...I must be blind because the physical game Jake had in the WHL is non existent to me here. Occasional hit here and there, that's it. Am I missing something? 

He doesn't seem to be hitting as aggressively, but he has a very active stick, especially compared to when he first came in. I think Green is preaching that he has to learn how to be hard to play against, and that might mean not always looking for the big hit that may catch him out of position.
It might be because he's worried about separating his shoulder again... which is concerning. 

5 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

He doesn't seem to be hitting as aggressively, but he has a very active stick, especially compared to when he first came in. I think Green is preaching that he has to learn how to be hard to play against, and that might mean not always looking for the big hit that may catch him out of position.
It might be because he's worried about separating his shoulder again... which is concerning. 

Yeah, they're trying to get Jake to work on his complete game.  His hitting hasn't completely disappeared, as when he has an "on" game he's still doing it and effectively.  The goal is to get more and more of those games and less and less of the ones where he's invisible.  Once he (hopefully) gets there he can bring the full physical package, and having others like Archibald and MacEwen around so he's not the only one doing it should help bring that out as well.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, they're trying to get Jake to work on his complete game.  His hitting hasn't completely disappeared, as when he has an "on" game he's still doing it and effectively.  The goal is to get more and more of those games and less and less of the ones where he's invisible.  Once he (hopefully) gets there he can bring the full physical package, and having others like Archibald and MacEwen around so he's not the only one doing it should help bring that out as well.

Hire Bertuzzi to coach our young power forwards. . And add Kane.

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Point was, maybe he never meant it.  Talk is cheap and he had his opportunity but passed.

The irony is strong, young one.

Why would he mention multiple times that his dream was to play with the Canucks and not mean it? You are assuming he never meant it.

Like you and I said, people change their minds, because he felt he had a better shot at another cup in Edmonton. That doesn’t mean he never wanted to be a Canucks. 

Let’s say you were offer two jobs with the same pay; one of them is closer to home, but has less benefits than the other. Are you going to take the one closer to home? Doubt it.

So just out of Curiosity what do people think it would realistically take to sign Kane to lets say 4-6 year contract?  Is $6 million avg. enough or more? Is he worth up to $7 million?  I am starting to think he is a real good option to finish up our forward corps.

7 hours ago, thrago said:

So just out of Curiosity what do people think it would realistically take to sign Kane to lets say 4-6 year contract?  Is $6 million avg. enough or more? Is he worth up to $7 million?  I am starting to think he is a real good option to finish up our forward corps.

Closer to 3-4 years $7+. 5+ years trending down towards $6.

7 hours ago, thrago said:

I hope no more than $6 Million, dont like the thought of him earning alot more than Bo. Although Bo's contract is already looking like ot will be a steal of a deal. 

7M+ for a guy who eclipse 50 points once in his career, which was 6 years ago. That's some Glen Sather negotiations, right there.

If Kane wants to play for the Canucks, he'd better take a hometown discount or no dice. Too much risks and baggages attach to his name.

5M on a short term contract (2-4 years) or 6M on a long term deal (5+ years). Both are highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

7M+ for a guy who eclipse 50 points once in his career, which was 6 years ago. That's some Glen Sather negotiations, right there.

If Kane wants to play for the Canucks, he'd better take a hometown discount or no dice. Too much risks and baggages attach to his name.

5M on a short term contract (2-4 years) or 6M on a long term deal (5+ years). Both are highly unlikely.

I don't get the over payment or over valuations by people for Kane

His health, point totals and attitude speak for themselves.

He's not worth $5.5 million or more until he actually earns it. 

See Lucic/Eriksson

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

See Lucic/Eriksson

On a short 3'ish year term, I'd pay extra for that benefit...$7m +/-.

4+ year deal and absolutely the price comes down. 

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

See Lucic/Eriksson

no UFA is ever worth the money.  I think people need to stop expecting that.  I can't think of one where the team can say they got a deal on a player.  UFA is all about getting overpaid.  That doesnt mean that there is no reason to sign a UFA. Lucic makes no sense for the oilers because they had to sign McDavid and Draistl.  Now Eriksson isnt really holding back any Canucks from getting paid, so its a whatever deal.  The money couldnt have been deployed elsewhere and if the owner doesnt care than it doesnt matter. 

Kane will get 6-7M, and he wont be "worth it".  How soon will Petterson, Boeser, whomever need to get paid 5-10M?  I am not sure, so it may not matter with the Sedins going on one year deals with much smaller cap hits.  I would pay Kane 8M x 3 years.  The term is really the big issue.

Archived