The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you changed your mind on this season? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Have you changed your mind on the Canucks this season?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I know they're rebuilding and would probably struggle again this year, but I saw glimpses of a really good team, gives me hope they could be more this year. I guess they could still be, considering it's still early in the year. But yes, I agree, I need to just appreciate the wins when they come and understand that there will be nights when they struggle. I'm thinking this team may not turn the corner until the Sedins retire. Unfortunate, as I love the Sedins, but they aren't the players they used to be.  

We're likely a couple seasons away from being a more consistently good/winning team and better than an outside chance at a bubble playoff spot. Even next year, even assuming the twins are retired, we're still going to be a team with a mix of very young kids and middling vets. That's not a recipe for consistency or sure fire playoff team. 

People need to stop living or dying on every win or loss (as entertaining as it is to watch) for the sake of their own blood pressure/health :lol:

We're rebuilding, we're not going to be consistently good. And that's ok. The important things are that the kids playing at this level continue to improve, continue to transition in to leadership roles and offensive production once occupied by vets and that the kids coming up behind them continue that process. Eventually that will lead us back to being a good team in a couple years.

Until then, fixating on every mistake/win/loss/setback is not going to do good things to people's blood pressure nor is it going to change the result. We're a bottom 1/2 rebuilding team and all the complaining, fretting over coaching decisions, personnel decisions etc isn't going to change that outcome.

Season is working out eerily close to what I thought would happen and posted in the season prediction thread.  We came out pretty solid and now things are getting just a bit wobbly.  We'll probably be in the mix still at Christmas, but as we get close to the trade deadline we'll likely drop out of a playoff spot, but still be within range of getting it.  A couple of moves at the deadline but nothing huge.  End up around 20th or so, but just to keep the dream alive for Apollo we win the lottery and get one of the top 3 picks.

Just wait until mass injury bug hits. Usually at this point, we get a few, and hold on. Start turning heads. Then, a few big injuries and a really bad month and boom, we're out the picture. I think the best thing to take from this season is that we have a lot of players who have established themselves as going to be core players going forward. I think this is the season that if we add 1 or 2 more really solid prospects, we will fully be set for the future. Maybe a RHD (that's what I'd spend the top pick on) and one more winger. and boom. We're right back in.

The Canucks played their best hockey so far this year with Elder and Eriksson out of the lineup. It was exciting, fast paced hockey, with great transition and puck movement. The Sedin's ice time was limited, and the "youth" really had a chance to shine. Ever Stecher's injury wasn't so bad as Biega jumped in nicely to fill the void.

IMHO, the problems began when Edler and Eriksson returned to the lineup, coupled with Gaunce returning from his shoulder surgery. Rusty or not, Gaunce is a typical former first round flop that is a more suited for a career in the AHL instead of the NHL. Hands of stone and no vision on the ice whatsoever. I hope he's traded this year sometime.

Edler is simply bad. His decline has been well documented over the past 3 years, but is now laid bare for all to see. His decision making is horridly slow, his passes are ill timed and usually reach their intended target travelling at light speed, (which nobody can handle), and time and time again he tries to play goalie in front of his own goalie with the obvious poor results, and that telegraphed drop pass on the power play should just NEVER be allowed to happen again. EVER! I personally think any of the current prospects in Uttica would be better than Edler right now. Edler is also a TERRIBLE pairing for Pouliot.

Eriksson is well, Eriksson I guess. He hasn't really bonded with anybody (even the Sedin's) and all he does is skate up and down the ice shift after shift. He'd be "OK" at 2 million per, but at 6 million per he's simply horrific. Benning's albatross for sure.

The side effect of these "vets" slotting back in, is that it has forced Green to increase the Sedins ice time again. As we have seen since 2011, they are on the decline as well, and are now (especially this year) struggling mightily to keep up with the play of the opposition let alone their own teammates. As we have seen in years past, relying more and more on the Sedins is NOT going to get us anywhere near the playoffs.

While there is certainly light at the end of the tunnel (for sure) there are still some very dark areas that need to be addressed with trades or contracts running out. IMHO the Sedins should NOT be resigned at any price, and every effort should be made to convince Edler to go elsewhere. If, for some reason we are stuck with him until his contract expires I wouldn't resign him even if he paid the Canucks to stay.

The Sedins have served the Canucks well over the years and deserve full credit, accolades, etc., for their amazing careers. Unfortunately father time has caught up with them and I feel any service they have left to give the Canucks would be much better off the ice than on the ice.

:)  

2 hours ago, SuperReverb2 said:

The Canucks played their best hockey so far this year with Elder and Eriksson out of the lineup. It was exciting, fast paced hockey, with great transition and puck movement. The Sedin's ice time was limited, and the "youth" really had a chance to shine. Ever Stecher's injury wasn't so bad as Biega jumped in nicely to fill the void.

IMHO, the problems began when Edler and Eriksson returned to the lineup, coupled with Gaunce returning from his shoulder surgery. Rusty or not, Gaunce is a typical former first round flop that is a more suited for a career in the AHL instead of the NHL. Hands of stone and no vision on the ice whatsoever. I hope he's traded this year sometime.

Edler is simply bad. His decline has been well documented over the past 3 years, but is now laid bare for all to see. His decision making is horridly slow, his passes are ill timed and usually reach their intended target travelling at light speed, (which nobody can handle), and time and time again he tries to play goalie in front of his own goalie with the obvious poor results, and that telegraphed drop pass on the power play should just NEVER be allowed to happen again. EVER! I personally think any of the current prospects in Uttica would be better than Edler right now. Edler is also a TERRIBLE pairing for Pouliot.

Eriksson is well, Eriksson I guess. He hasn't really bonded with anybody (even the Sedin's) and all he does is skate up and down the ice shift after shift. He'd be "OK" at 2 million per, but at 6 million per he's simply horrific. Benning's albatross for sure.

The side effect of these "vets" slotting back in, is that it has forced Green to increase the Sedins ice time again. As we have seen since 2011, they are on the decline as well, and are now (especially this year) struggling mightily to keep up with the play of the opposition let alone their own teammates. As we have seen in years past, relying more and more on the Sedins is NOT going to get us anywhere near the playoffs.

While there is certainly light at the end of the tunnel (for sure) there are still some very dark areas that need to be addressed with trades or contracts running out. IMHO the Sedins should NOT be resigned at any price, and every effort should be made to convince Edler to go elsewhere. If, for some reason we are stuck with him until his contract expires I wouldn't resign him even if he paid the Canucks to stay.

The Sedins have served the Canucks well over the years and deserve full credit, accolades, etc., for their amazing careers. Unfortunately father time has caught up with them and I feel any service they have left to give the Canucks would be much better off the ice than on the ice.

:)  

they both played against l.a. i thought?

did we not win that game

so easy to try to scape goat a couple players

reason canucks are looking less promising since they beat pittsburgh

is cuz other teams have found a way to combat their strategy

and are exploiting gaps in their system so as to create high percentage counter attack chances

green needs to adjust what he is doing or get dmen who are better able to play his system

biega and gud are poor parts for green's systerm

Archived